Cleaning up the Tidal Thames

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
thames kayak

Cleaning up the Tidal Thames

Post by thames kayak »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6478977.stm

It seems that the problem of contaminated water entering the river will finally be dealth with. The Thames is pretty clean with the reduction of industry along its shore however during heavy rain surface water is dumped into the old sewer system and in turn ends up in the tideway. The Thames is the reason why London is on the map, allthough will have to wait till 2020 this is great news to celebrate.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

While they are cleaning up the tidal Thames I wonder if there is any way that they can get rid of all the mud and replace it with lovely golden sand and perhaps some aesthetically pleasing rock formations...
Now that would be nice!!!

thames kayak

Post by thames kayak »

If your looking for a sandy beach, they are there. The mud is natural, the sand happens to come from the large amount of sand brought up river by barges daily for the building trade. As the sand is transfered from the barges some sprinkles like magic into the river and is held in suspension. Check out South Bank and its 30 metres of Golden Sand droped onto the foreshore by the ebbing tide. It might not be Cornwall but its there.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

yeeessss!
Kinda missed out on the intended humour in my earlier post.

Living in Leigh-on-Sea (cockles and all) I'm only too aware of the pleasures of a muddy foreshore and that it is apparently one of the most bio-diverse and important types of enviroment around.....but just imagine... fine sand, rock pools to go exploring in, kelp gardens to paddle through, water where you can see the bottom at 20 feet deep.... sigh !!!

All this is possible if Thames Water, Ofwat and the Enviroment Agency were just to pull their finger out and load every Thames Water bill by around £50,000 a year. Money well spent....
I feel a petition coming on.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I wonder who will do the first descent of the tunnel? Getting in might be tricky. Probably a job for a folding boat.

EdC

Post by EdC »

Check out South Bank and its 30 metres of Golden Sand droped onto the foreshore by the ebbing tide
Hate to disappoint, but this sand was laid by the Mayor/GLC a while back to attempt to recreate a beach environment and encourage beach activities by the South Bank.
Idea was based on the fact the Victorians had similarly laid sand down by Tower Bridge - I've seen old pix of people enjoying the sandy beach there.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Wezzit?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

It's practically Bondi.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

thames kayak

Post by thames kayak »

Hate to disappoint, but this sand was laid by the Mayor/GLC a while back to attempt to recreate a beach environment and encourage beach activities by the South Bank.
Idea was based on the fact the Victorians had similarly laid sand down by Tower Bridge - I've seen old pix of people enjoying the sandy beach there.

Sand has been laid again and again however the current beaches are a by product of longshore. The beachs in question pre date Ken Livingston