Comedy kayak anglers

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Comedy kayak anglers

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

When somebody is posturing like that and won't let irritating little details like what you actually wrote get in the way, what you actually write in reply isn't going to make any difference either. On that basis, you handled it (or rather him) just right.
Steve Balcombe

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Ah Mark......

having a foot in both camps I had already noticed your 'bit' on the angling site. Good for you for trying and, in spite of how it first appears they seem to have taken you under their wing somewhat.
You are spot on about SOT users becoming 'sit inside kayakers'. I started off buying a SOT for me and my kids to mess around on, then started fishing from it and subsequently decided that I wanted to get a sit inside kayak and learn the extra skills needed for that. I now have 4 kayaks (what an expensive hobby this turned out to be) and have dragged three of my friends into kayaking with me.

I definately feel that the one big problem with many (but not all) SOT kayakers is that they do not undergo any sort of instruction or training. Hopefully the new BCU star training will help to change this. An exception to this rule does appear the be those that fish from them as they seem much more aware of safety and skill issues.

All this aside, SOT's are a great stepping stone into the world of kayaking and also a possible blending of that continual struggle between fisherman and kayakers regarding access. If only we could get all fisherman into SOT's then perhaps the access fight would be sorted overnight.

Rog.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

rockhopper wrote: Hopefully the new BCU star training will help to change this.
Don't hold your breath.

Yellerbelly

. . . if it doesnt work out

Post by Yellerbelly »

Well played Mark !

. . . But just in case it doesnt work out . . . . link. ;¬)

. . . . Ben

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Well played Mark !

. . . But just in case it doesnt work out . . . . link. ;¬)

Stop it....my sides are aching !!!!

runswick2000

Re: Comedy kayak anglers

Post by runswick2000 »

MarkR wrote:Amusing to me, anyway...
And to me.....I needed something to brighten up my day.....just wish I could have followed it all!
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook

Skua

Post by Skua »

Interesting that SOT users are considered second class kayakers. Or at least that is how they think they are perceived. I started sea kayaking in 1972 with a sit inside that I built myself from plans (plywood) at the age of 12. I used it for fishing a bit and shooting a bit (fish in the summer, ducks in the winter.)

I have gone on to design a purpose built, composite, fishing SOT that I now use to catch, measure, tag and release sharks on the UK shark tagging project which is part of the WWF tagging projects, amongst other angling activities.

I have also a range of sit inside expedition kayaks (the SKUA for those who saw my stand at the NEC) and we have been vacuum bagging and resin infusing for 8 years. Some of our customers have demanded custom artwork similar to the hot rods they drive with metallic paint and artwork - one of our recent builds was a DUO (double expedition kayak) with a dragon wrapped around the length from stem to stern.

I write this because I use both, one is suitable for the one pastime, the other suits the other requirement - but I would love to see anyone battle a 65kg yellowfin tuna from a sit inside expedition kayak, or beat a 175lb common skate as one of my friends did last year from his angling sit on top, or take on the conger eels that are regularly caught from SOT kayaks - these SOTs are seriously capable kayaks, for what they were designed for. We are not talking catching the odd mackerel for the BBQ here - they are used whole for bait!

Playboats are simply that and many SOT kayaks are complete and utter rubbish I grant you, but not all. Similarly there are those coming into the paddling world believing they need a barge to stay upright. They soon learn and those heavy, beamy SOTs are soon on the used market while the owner upgrades to something you are more familiar with. Stability is a major concern of newcomers and they see a boat that moves as being unstable. Articles in magazines are addressing this, but it takes time - blame the Americans, they started it. Big, wide kayaks with high seats to keep their arses dry - suitable for flat water on a calm day only. But, it gets them afloat and they can cast their lines. 2kms would kill them, but so what, they use them as means to an end, not as an end in itself.

For the tuna we are paddling anything up to 25kms offshore, the fight with a yellowfin can be anything up to 5 hours to get it to the kayak, typically 3 hours, and then the fish can have dragged you another 10ks offshore - or if you are lucky inshore. With over 120lbs of fish in your kayak you then have to paddle the 25ks home with aching limbs from the fight.

You still think these are only playboats?

I say live and let live - they only want ot go fishing for heavens sake. They don't pretend to be passage making - just getting to a fishing mark and then going fishing. I don't see anything wrong in that.

As for Marks book - I think it would be of huge benefit to the majority of anglers. The type of information that would be of use would be parking, campsites, sheltered launches, tidal streams, weather affects, other boat traffic - much the same information that you would use for trip planning in fact, and used in a similar way.

The Welsh book of Jim and Andy is a wonderful resource for the kayak angler as well - a similar approach would soon find itself on the shelves of paddling anglers Mark - go for it.

But please folks, don't tar everyone with the same brush simply because they use a SOT and go fishing - you would be surprised at how many time served paddlers are using them (including a few guys who used to paddle for the army competitively.....very good kayakers! Hence the umbrage taken and the flak at being looked down upon.)

Adam_Bolonsky

Post by Adam_Bolonsky »

MarkR wrote:Amusing to me, anyway...
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/inde ... opic=73154
Hi Mark,
don't knock it until you've tried it. Fishing from a sea kayak can be a terrific way to supply fresh fish on a mult-day trip along remote coasts. All you need is a simple handline, as guides use off remote Baja.

But there's more than that.

Landing a fish from the cockpit of a sea kayak is one of the surest ways to improve one's sea kayaking skills. Regardless of how rough the water or large the fish, you can't use your paddle to brace for balance.

Thus, the only way to balance the sea kayak while landing a fish is by using the knees, hips, lower legs and feet within the cockpit. You need well-formed hip and thigh braces made of foam, as well as properly-placed foot pegs.

Talk about learning both-sided hip snaps...

To that end, are there any UK sea kayakers who fish or who have fished to feed themselves on an overnight trip?

There's a large handful of sea kayakers who fish from sea kayaks. The boats they use are the real thing: 17'-plus, 20" wide, long and fast and made of fiberglass.

link:
http://paddlingtravelers.blogspot.com/2 ... kayak.html

Here's a photo of Leon, an east coast kayak angler who fishes from a long and narrow Falcon. Also a picture of Mark Stephens, in a Romany Explorer, working a bluefish near a tidal rip.

Last edited by Adam_Bolonsky on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Adam_Bolonsky wrote:don't knock it until you've tried it. Fishing from a sea kayak can be a terrific way to supply fresh fish on a mult-day trip along remote coasts.
Erm...I didn't knock it, and I have tried it.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

That really is quite amusing. No offence Mark, but I had put you a little older than your average McDonalds assistant!

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes »

steddyjames wrote:That really is quite amusing. No offence Mark, but I had put you a little older than your average McDonalds assistant!
Maybe he envisaged Mark being in the Ronald McDonald suit? Feel a career change coming Mark?

He certainly seemed to be under the impression that his age brought him wisdom and a refined sense of humour.

You couldn't make it up!

Cornholio

Post by Cornholio »

Varps posts on this thread were brilliantly funny....!
"God tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure you're f****d..."

NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Ronald McDonald has huge clown feet - that would not be compatable with any sea kayak. Sorry Mark, you won't be able to work for them.[/quote]
Experience: something you get, just after you needed it...

Solent Kayak Pages

runswick2000

Post by runswick2000 »

NeilG wrote:Ronald McDonald has huge clown feet - that would not be compatable with any sea kayak. Sorry Mark, you won't be able to work for them.
Neil, clearly you have never had the comic experience of meeting Mark in his Mukluk Inuit bootie things.....all very Ronald MacDonald.
Perhaps the greatest flaw in democracy is the idea that, if a majority of the population believes arrant nonsense, it somehow makes the nonsense true.

Lifeboat Scrapbook