Incident in Suffolk

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Incident in Suffolk

Post by Mark R »

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

BoaterJH

Post by BoaterJH »

Joe H

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

just an update article on this incident....

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news ... 3A08%3A757

What were they thinking of.....W/W kayaks in gale force conditions a half mile off the coast with an offshore wind and nearly spring tides, and with a 12 year old......
Words fail me!!

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

'These canoes were only about four feet long and really meant for boating lakes'

I'm not sure if Dagger would agree with that estimation of the G-Force's potential...

To be fair to the group, it sounds like the classic off-shore wind trap, which I suspect we've all fallen into at some point or another. Sea looks calm and glassy where you launch, you paddle out a hundred metres and suddenly the sea is rather livelier and it's hard to get back, then someone swims and once you've dealt with that you are 500 metres out and the sea is rougher...and so forth.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

MarkR wrote:To be fair to the group, it sounds like the classic off-shore wind trap, which I suspect we've all fallen into at some point or another. Sea looks calm and glassy where you launch, you paddle out a hundred metres and suddenly the sea is rather livelier and it's hard to get back, then someone swims and once you've dealt with that you are 500 metres out and the sea is rougher...and so forth.
LOL, that description of the theoretical scenario sounds so similar to how the events of a certain incident in Cornwall were relayed to me, it just carried on a bit from so forth and sounded worse and worse as it did!

Denzil

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible »

Does anyone have a better idea as to when these pesky F6-8 northerlies are going to ease off?

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood »

The incident has been written up from the RNLIs perspective in the Autumn edition of "the Lifeboat"