Nine kayakers rescued

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Phil Woodhead

Nine kayakers rescued

Post by Phil Woodhead » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:53 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6214049.stm
Nine people in kayaks had to be picked up by a lifeboat crew on Wednesday, and a helicopter was sent to help a group of swimmers at Sennen on Boxing Day.

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) and coastguards warned sea conditions could change rapidly.

They said it was extremely fortunate that nobody in the rescued groups was badly hurt.

The nine kayakers had to be rescued after some boats capsized off Land's End.

They were recovered on to the Sennen Cove lifeboat and one was flown to the Royal Cornwall Hospital suffering from mild hypothermia.

The RNLI praised the kayakers for being well equipped for an emergency, as they had immersion suits, flares and VHF radios and were part of a trip organised by professionals.

One of the lead canoeists has admitted that lessons have been learnt.

Veedurb

Post by Veedurb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Saw it on the local news, posted also on the Sea forum. They were in sea kayaks, just to clarify. Looked pretty nasty conditions on the footage when they were being picked up!
We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.
Paignton Canoe Club
Torbay Surfing

David McCraw

Post by David McCraw » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:31 pm

Has there been a hysterical witch hunt yet?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:39 pm

I know some of the people involved in this but will wait until I have heard about the incident first hand from them before I do any naming and shaming.

Denzil

Richard Uren

Post by Richard Uren » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:25 pm

Denzil, There is no `naming and shaming` required. All concerned are fine, accidents happen.
NB. It wasn`t me !
PaddlecrestCoaching
It`s the journey that matters, not the destination

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:18 am

Richard Uren wrote:Denzil, There is no `naming and shaming` required. All concerned are fine, accidents happen.
NB. It wasn`t me !
Agreed, naming and shaming was a bad turn of phrase. One of the members of the group has said they are going to write up a trip report and when they do so I will ask there permission to post it here.

Denzil

waltfos

9 kakers

Post by waltfos » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:01 pm

Denzil,

Did you ever get the report?????

KEEP SHOOGLING

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm

Not yet I am afraid, I will hassle him some more.

SeaDoug

Report is public

Post by SeaDoug » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Now in "public domain".

http://www.sennen-cove.com/alb06.htm

SeaDoug

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:56 pm

I never did learn any more about this major incident - anyone involved/ with knowledge able to shed light?

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 pm

From speaking to people involved (Some of them are friends and I know most of the others) I gather that it was a major balls up essentially, mainly to do with communication and organisation right at the start of a trip. This lead to there being lots of people being out of shelter and into nasty conditions where it all went a bit tits up (one boat broken, one lost and people beginning to get seperated). Realising things had gone wahoony shaped they called for assistance which was apparently fantastically quick and efficient.

Some feel things were a little exaggerated in the media.

Denzil

P.S. This information was gathered from conversations with some of those involved in the incident, mainly in pubs, often in the company of beer. Make of that what you will.

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:19 am

Mark R wrote:I never did learn any more about this major incident - anyone involved/ with knowledge able to shed light?
Cheers,
How is it acceptable to pose this question here, but not here Hmmmmmmm ... ??

CaptainSensible

Post by CaptainSensible » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:52 am

Time I guess - this happened almost a year ago whereas people wanted to know what happened at Anglesey immediately after the incident (before those involved had had time to reflect on their frolic with doom)

I'd like to know what happened too, but it's up to those involved to decide whether they want to share their experiences or not.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:21 am

OK then, a little more detail.

A mixed group of paddlers met in a quiet calm bay, a couple of the more experienced paddlers, slightly nervous due to mixed level of group and possability of less than perfect conditions decide to stick there noses out of the bay to see check the conditions from a less deceptive place. Due to a communication foul up every one else followed. It turns out that conditions out of the bay were not grand so the order to head back was issued. However someone was picked up by a wave and smashed into someone elses boat putting a great big hole in it, swims ensued. Tide and wind made things nasty, rescue was required.

Nobody is pretending that no mistakes were made, everyone involved seems to acnoledge that it was a balls up and lots of lessons were learned. Luckily everyone was suitably equipped and wearing decent paddling gear, if this was not the case it could have been really nasty.

Denzil

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Same night as our little trip, discussed here:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... hp?t=28987

Obviously not a good night to be on the sea.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:35 pm

sub5rider wrote:
Mark R wrote:I never did learn any more about this major incident - anyone involved/ with knowledge able to shed light?
Cheers,
How is it acceptable to pose this question here, but not here Hmmmmmmm ... ??
If you honestly can't judge why that is, nothing I can answer can help you.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:38 pm

StoneWeasel wrote:OK then, a little more detail.
Cheers Denzil, that's helpful. By odd coincidence, a work colleague of mine (on holiday) retrieved one of their sea kayaks off the beach the following morning.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

sub5rider

Post by sub5rider » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Mark R wrote:If you honestly can't judge why that is, nothing I can answer can help you.
Nope, sorry, I can't see how it's acceptable for you to probe for further details of one incident whilst castigating others for enquiring (insensitively, possibly) about another incident The very same incident txt reports of which seemingly kept you entertained in the pub !!
Both involved emergency services and both were life threatening.
Hypocrisy, or what? And that's rhetorical....and is my last word on the subject.

Cheers 'n' Beers,
Nigel.

Twix

Post by Twix » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:58 pm

The timing.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:07 pm

Twix and Sub5rider; are you by any chance related? You seem to have very similar Avatars - round yellow smiling things with 4 bits sticking out.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:18 pm

Nigel Crompton, if you want to call me names, I invite you to do it in person ...

07813 462602

I am waiting for your call.

Thanks,
Last edited by Mark R on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Twix

Post by Twix » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 pm

How random......No

Its a picture of me, big smile, chasing round, tea in hand. But I'm not actually yellow. :-)

thames kayak

Post by thames kayak » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:08 pm

The reason the information you are all seaking has not been realesed is because currently the emergency services are reviewing this incident.

This review relates to how information is released to the media. Despite how desperate you need to be filled in on what happened on the date in question, wait as this will be published in the very near future.

Regards

Harry whelan

jeff allen

Lands End

Post by jeff allen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi, I was at the Lands End incident, in fact I was one of the guys leading the trip, I didnt know there was so much dialogue going on in these pages, until Harry said I should take a look. So just to keep you in the picture. Immediately after the incident the RNLI and the coastguard informed us that we should refrain from any commentry, the Anglesey incident and commentry there after caused quite a bit of emotional damage to people on that trip. A time line of events was established that evening, consolidated over the next few days and a copy was sent to the BCU and all parties involved. At present there is an RNLI/Coastguard review going on into the 17 or so rescues involving over 80 paddlers in North Wales alone during the past 18 months or so, so I have also sent our time line of events to Nigel Dennis who is conducting the review on behalf of the emergency services, so that we can recieve a proffessional analysis of events. The RNLI here in Cornwall have also asked some of the group involved in the incident to partake in a training exercize so that they can improve on their procedures. Interestingly enough part of their review is to look into the reporting aspects on these incidents. What was reported as an Official Coastguard commentry in the local papers, was by all accounts a comment from a retired or possibly off duty Coastwatch officer who happened to be out walking his dog at Lands End, and who triggered the May Day by Proxy. We had full emergency equipment with us and hadn't used it at that stage because the situation was still recoverable from within the group. The inaccurate reporting by the media and search for further gossip by certain members of the paddling community Denzil, I think is shameful. Not every paddler reads these community pages and if you wanted accurate information you need only knock on my door, I live just down the road from you! There will be a copy of the Time Line of events given to Ocean Paddler magazine and this will be published shortly I believe.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Jeff you may well call my reporting shameful but I did try to make it clear that this was info picked up through informal chatting to some of the people involved over beers in a pub (we often end up in pubs after Monday night canoe club sessions). It is not going to be the most accurate info ever, it is made up of passed on opinions from some people who are not the most experienced paddlers in the world.

I posted up the little I knew as there has been no other information posted or made available that I was aware of.

If you have a more detailed and factual account I would love to read it as people passing on info in a pub while trying to make themselves seem cleaner than clean of any fault personally gives a bit of an odd picture, that as you have pointed out, may not be very accurate.

I have not asked you personally for any info on the incident as I did not know you were involved, people have been very cagey about mentioning anything about who was leading them, I felt out of a mark of respect to avoid there name being unfairly tarnished.

Denzil

Helen M

Re: Lands End

Post by Helen M » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 pm

jeff allen wrote: The inaccurate reporting by the media and search for further gossip by certain members of the paddling community Denzil, I think is shameful.
I think it very unfair to accuse Denzil of 'gossiping'. Considering the event happened in Dec 06 and Denzil has refrained from adding to this thread till now - when it was ressurected. 9 months is a long time to wait for a incident debrief.

I honestly believe by sharing experiences future mistakes can be avoided. Many sea kayaking incidents are, in the end, down to communication breakdowns somewhere along the line - believe me - I know - I reported an incident that happened to Dave and I due to communiation breakdown in the Outer Hebrides last year. It involved the SAR helicopter paying us a visit. Full details were posted on this site at the time. People's response to it were very positive.

H - x

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:34 pm

jeff allen wrote:search for further gossip by certain members of the paddling community Denzil, I think is shameful.
Respectfully, I entirely disagree.

Myself, I don't want 'gossip', I want clear information - such as people know and are happy to provide. If people don't want to provide it, that is their perogative and I have no problem respecting that.

I feel absolutely no 'shame' in showing an interest in this high profile incident, nine months after the event. It may well be of relevance and use to other paddlers. If you honestly believed the incident to be only of interest to shameful gossips, then you wouldn't be discussing it with the emergency services or writing about it for magazines.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:50 am

I thought Denzil was being very restrained and very much so in his earlier postings. That is a credit to him.

Is someone going to try to make capital out of the incident through writing a magazine article? There is potential for speculation about this course of action.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Mark R wrote:
jeff allen wrote:search for further gossip by certain members of the paddling community Denzil, I think is shameful.
Respectfully, I entirely disagree.

Myself, I don't want 'gossip', I want clear information - such as people know and are happy to provide.
I read Jeffs comment as meaning that he considered what Denzil posted as mere gossip when he actually had access to clear information if he'd have realised it and asked before responding. I think this may be blowing out of proportion again?

Some people will have noticed that I posted an earlier response further up and then deleted it when I realised that the conflict it was in response to had been resolved in another thread. Sorry if it confused anyone or left them with meaningless replies, I thought I got it before it had been seen. Communication is the issue and how it is much more difficult to acheive in text than you might at first think. I am going to assume that Jeff and Denzil have met over a coffee (yuck) and sorted out the niggle above face to face since it really is pretty trivial.

Jim

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:36 pm

Jim wrote:I am going to assume that Jeff and Denzil have met over a coffee (yuck) and sorted out the niggle above face to face since it really is pretty trivial.

Jim
Not as of yet but we no doubt will when our paths next cross.
I don't really see that much of Jeff as most of the time I spend down his neck of the woods I am there with a reason (normally going kayaking) and I don't have his number or anything.
No doubt though before long our adventures will bring us into contact with each other (Cornwall is not that big) and we can chat about this and put it behind us.

Had I known that Jeff was the trip leader I would have contacted him before posting about this and avoided this whole hoo ha and no doubt got a more precise account of what happened to post as well.

Now your here though Jeff and now that we know there are apparent inaccuracies in what I have picked up, any chance you could fill us in a bit on the happenings of that fateful day?

Denzil