The sound of Shiant..'the stream of blue men'

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
applejack

The sound of Shiant..'the stream of blue men'

Post by applejack » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:37 pm

' it makes a short passage on which the admirialty chart makers print an innocuous looking set of wrinkly lines meaning 'tidal overfalls'', the equivalent of a set of rapids in a river.But the river coming up to them is 5 miles wide and 450' deep,that enormous mass of water running the height of the spring tides at three knots. Any idea of a river is of the wrong scale. This is the equivalent in tonnage and in volume of an entire range of hills on the move.
At certain states of high wind against a spring tide,the sea here can turn into a broken mass of water. A frothing muddle of energies stretching across the whole width of the sound. a chaos in which there are not only steep faced seas coming at you from all directions,but,terrifyingly,holes,pits in the surface of the sea into which a boat can plunge nose first and find it difficult to return.'.

The Sea Room ...Adam Nicholson

Reading about The fascinating Shiant Islands off Lewis, Adam Nicholson's description of the sound of Shuna rather puts the dampers on my enthusisam for a trip by sea kayak out there.

Is it as nasty as he describes it ?

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:10 pm

OK - I'm going to have nightmares tonight!

Sounds scary.

H - x

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm

Looks like fun to me!

Jim

savegemountains

Post by savegemountains » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:02 am

I've paddled across to the Shiants from the top of Skye, and then the following day across onto Harris. Lovely trip - the time we went out I cannot recall any major tidal issues. It was a bit blowy getting across to Harris the folllowing day, but that was pretty localised. I dare say that the little Minch can be horrendous and that like us its worth choosing your weather conditions before heading out. It was a stunning set of islands to go and visit, particularly with the richness of the story in 'The Sea Room'. The caves and arches on the main island and other island were stunning. The one thing I do remember was that it was limited in terms of flat tent spots, but that was it! I do know that the Stornoway club head across there quite often on trip, so perhaps Mike et al could add some local knowledge?

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:49 am

You might want to avoid it on a full spring tidal flow with a strong wind against it!

Robert

Shaints

Post by Robert » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:03 pm

... leaving the Shiants at around 6.15 this morning, wee blue men out of sight around the corner at this point, interesting even in light winds!

Robert

Helen M

Re: Shaints

Post by Helen M » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:37 am

[quote="Robert

... leaving the Shiants at around 6.15 this morning, wee blue men out of sight around the corner at this point, interesting even in light winds!

Robert[/quote]

Are we going to see piccies of the wee blue men too Robert?

H - x

JHMAC

Post by JHMAC » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Helen M wrote:OK - I'm going to have nightmares tonight!

Sounds scary.

H - x
Hi Helen, I was with Robert and depending on how comfortable you are with rats, spending a night on the Shaints may well give you nightmares if the sea hasn't. We had rats coming to our feet, they showed no fear at all.

Bertie wrote - "You might want to avoid it on a full spring tidal flow with a strong wind against it!"

Sound advice to say the least!

But definitely well worth a visit.

Howard

applejack

Post by applejack » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:21 am

The famous Shiant rats !

interesting that Adam Nicholson...owner of the Shiant Islands and who allows free and open access to the bothy on the main island...recommends sleeping in tents at night as preferable to spending a rat infested night in the bothy.

JHMAC

Post by JHMAC » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:27 am

applejack wrote:The famous Shiant rats !

interesting that Adam Nicholson...owner of the Shiant Islands and who allows free and open access to the bothy on the main island...recommends sleeping in tents at night as preferable to spending a rat infested night in the bothy.
Don't depend on the bothy being open, it is locked at present.

Robert

Post by Robert » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Sadly no pictures of the blue men. However, I have since stumbled upon more about them and theirantics.

Robert

Helen M

Post by Helen M » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:25 am

Just read the book - it was fascinating.

For those that want a preview you can download a sample chapter here:

http://www.shiantisles.net/searoom/index.htm

H - x

corgimas

Re: Shaints

Post by corgimas » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Helen M wrote:[quote="Robert

Robert
Are we going to see piccies of the wee blue men too Robert?

H - x[/quote]