Renovating an old Nordkapp HM^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
nickcrowhurst

HM on Ebay

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:59 pm

HM candidate for restoration in North Devon:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sea-kayak-Nor ... 4d04b58e6c

Nick.

nickcrowhurst

Re: Renovating an old Nordkapp HM^

Post by nickcrowhurst » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21 pm

dowdrey

Post by dowdrey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:37 pm

I had a go at restoring a P&H Umnak (serial number 11, built late 1978 to early 1979). All the advice on previous restoration threads on this site, especially this HM thread, were really helpful, as were Pat and Piran at P&H in Derby.
I got the boat in Sept 2010 for under £200. After a few paddles on the Fowey and Camel (as well as poring over Ocean Paddler magazines) I decided the slightly sparkly purple paint had to go. It had started to go of its own accord in a couple of places and I could see that underneath the purple it was the classic golden yellow deck with black seam.
A bit of investigation (ok, picking at the edges of purples patches with my fingernail) suggested that it would come off fairly easily and the underlying gel coat hadn’t been scored or keyed. Both conclusions turned out to be wrong, because the bits that were coming off were the places that hadn’t been keyed - annoyingly obvious when you think it through. Anyway, before these things occurred to me I had a go with some ancient acetone. I quickly realised 2 things; it had been keyed (but rather lightly? Nothing like wishful thinking to help motivation) and I would need a heck of a lot of acetone.
At that point I did the research I should have done to begin with. After a conversation with Piran at P&H and reading threads like this one (especially this one with the fantastic shiny HM), I switched to working through wet and dry grades and finishing with a cutting/polishing compound as the renovation method of choice (still needed acetone for the detail like the eyes for deck lines, but used less than a litre in all).
It had a fantastic effect on the tired white of the hull as well as revealing the deck in its full glory with Farecla adding the finishing shine. The advice in the thread to get hold of a mechanical polisher is excellent – and I wish I had followed it, it would have saved a lot of the effort. Unfortunately our local hire firm’s polisher was not expected back for weeks and the cheap car polisher I used wasn’t up to it.
P&H offered match pots of the hull and deck pigments and I should have taken both, as they were right that the white Plastic Padding Gel Coat Repair cures to a slightly pink shade. They also supplied a couple of the missing eagle bow decals and other stickers. They didn’t have the “harpoon” name stickers shown in the original marketing material and which I could just see in the gel coat as a slightly darker area. I was able to scan the image from the P&H archive sales material they sent. I increased it to the actual size and used Photoshop to get a tidy black and white file. names4boats.com based in Penzance turned it into a great decal without the clear backing of the original for a very reasonable price.
The decals certainly give it a character that the bland purple didn’t. P&H have a copy of the file names4boats worked from and I am happy to send it to anyone else who’s Umnak is harpoon decal-less.
That’s pretty much it on the restoration.
Looks pretty good on the water too.
When I wrote to thank P&H and send them some images of the end result, they kindly posted it on their paddlers blog and it is still there in the archive http://phpaddlers.com/?p=773 That led to an offer of another Umnak to restore a couple of years ago, but I’d made the mistake of sitting in a Scorpio LV in the meantime. Of course, one thing led to another and I tend to paddle the Scorpio and my son paddles the Umnak. I have since replaced the original aluminium bar swinging footrest because of the pain of moving it when we swapped boats. The replacement is a similar easily adjustable system to the Scorpio. I still have the bits of the original if anyone wants them. Again, great advice from these threads on the scary business of drilling a hole through the hull. AS Watersports suggested using a coarse hacksaw blade to remove the footrest ledges – wrapping duct tape around one end made it into a hand saw that did the job quickly and neatly.
So why post here and why now? Here because the advice on this thread was invaluable and, more to the point, Nick suggested it. Why now, when I did it over winter 2010? Again because Nick suggested it. I had always intended to, but hadn’t got around to it ... Although my experience doesn’t add anything significant to what is on the thread already, perhaps the pictures will encourage someone to start restoring some aging gel coat.

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:12 am

Great job, Peter, and inspiring photos. We need these historic craft to be loved and preserved.
Nick.

hiphopnow

Post by hiphopnow » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm doing up an old Nordkapp HM at the moment. Unfortunately it has had a rudder installed and a notch taken out of the skeg.
I can't make out the serial number but heres the description:
Light red colour with the nordkapp HM decals.
2 round Henderson screw on hatches.
Recessed deck line guides
Low rear deck
Seat is glassed on in three places.
Fixed skeg that's been diy rudder converted by the looks of it.
I'm guessing early 80's possibly.
It's got a crack in the hull under where the seat cross bracket is...

A few questions:
Does anyone know what RAL number polyester gelcoat to get? I'm guessing RAL 2001 Red/Orange?
I'm contemplating glassing in a day hatch. Can't see any reason to favour a sikaflex foam one. Less hull pressure? Thoughts?
I'm probably going to use WEST or SP epoxy to do all the fixes and replace the skeg section. How would gelcoat/topcoat adhere to the epoxy? Just give it a really rough sanding or is an intermediate layer of something needed?

Ok, apart from that I'm looking forward to giving this fine vessel some much needed TLC. Will post some before and after pics but it may take a few months...

nickcrowhurst

Post by nickcrowhurst » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:35 pm

hiphopnow wrote:Does anyone know what RAL number polyester gelcoat to get? I'm guessing RAL 2001 Red/Orange?
My post from October 19th, 2006, above, shows the pigment I used:

"6. My enquiries reveal that the original gelcoat colour is indeed the code number:
Brilliant Red, code CB03605A from West and Senior, Milltown Street, Radcliffe, Manchester, tel. 0161 724 7131, though I've ended up receiving the gelcoat direct from Valley Sea Kayaks, free of charge. The staff of Valley have been extremely helpful."

You mention glassing in a day hatch. I assume you meant a bulkhead to enable this. I've used glass, as previously described, and would not use a foam one in that vulnerable position.

I would do the repair work with polyester resin, as used in the original construction. It is quicker, cheaper, and compatible. I also would not reinstate the fixed skeg, a horrible device, IMHO. As described above, I fitted a Kari-Tek lifting skeg after removing the fixed skeg, and this has transformed the manoeuvrability of the kayak.

You'll have lots of fun bringing your kayak to its proper state.
Nick.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:54 am

I've been re-reading this thread with much interest, as I have just acquired this:

I'll try to keep a record of my progress on the kayak building part of my blog (although my record for keeping the blog up to date has been a bit poor over the last 18 months or so...)

Andy