Irrational fears

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Chris Bolton

Re: Irrational fears

Post by Chris Bolton »

Probably not helping the OP's Phobia much
That has occurred to me, reading some of the posts - but I think your story of an entirely peaceful encounter with animals much larger than your kayak may be helpful to the OP. It also matches my own experience. The only dangerous creatures I've encountered when paddling have been humans, usually on jetskis.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks Chris
I empathise with the OP but I suspect that Dolphins in particular are much more spatially aware and probably more socially considerate than many Jet skiers?
leighv

Post by leighv »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:31 pm
The only dangerous creatures I've encountered when paddling have been humans, usually on jetskis.
Don’t even get me started on the “sea chavs”…
john.ruston

Post by john.ruston »

I don't think it is irrational. It's probably something 'ancestral' from the time something big, hairy and possibly hungry might be stalking us out there in the long grass. Sort of race memory like fear of falling from heights.
We get dolphins passing here most days and I can vouch for they have impeccable road manners. As with any traffic flow, an accident is an ever present possibility. I think the OP is right to move away somewhat but the dolphin is a nosey guy who will if it please him, come over to take a closer look. That big eye staring up at you from a couple of feet below !
As someone else has said , good idea to stop brandishing the paddle and enjoy the moment. Our own special Attenborough moment.
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

Talking of irrational fears, mine aren't of animals, but of large artificial structures. Ships, big bouys, rigs, Nav markers, things like that.

The thought of being next to a large ship (and I've paddled nearish to moored container ships) gives me a similar feeling to being up one of those huge american radio masts.

This is irrational because I have no such feeling about sea stacks, or even climbing natural cliffs.
leighv

Post by leighv »

mrcharly wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:24 am
Talking of irrational fears, mine aren't of animals, but of large artificial structures. Ships, big bouys, rigs, Nav markers, things like that.

The thought of being next to a large ship (and I've paddled nearish to moored container ships) gives me a similar feeling to being up one of those huge american radio masts.

This is irrational because I have no such feeling about sea stacks, or even climbing natural cliffs.
I am exactly the same, especially large artificial structures that have very large interior open spaces. Like ships, zeppelins, etc. They totally freak me out. I can't even bear to watch films with ships in them - it's the hulls especially that fill me with dread. When I am out paddling I never go near ships if I am in harbours.

Oddly enough though, if the ship is made of wood, it doesn't bother me.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Yeh, now that the thread has taken this turn towards inanimate objects, I have to admit that paddling close to fixed structures, like landing stages, piers, pontoons, large nav markers etc - especially when the tidal flow is running past them - makes me nervous, but like mrcharley its not the same with rocks, cliffs or natural features, which is weird.
I remember paddling in the Mersey estuary and past Liverpool Pier Head and the Mersey Ferry landing stages on a spring tide running at least 6 knots and the noise of the water hitting the steel structures was bordering on terrifying.
Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

For the nervous, look away now. :)

I could leave this playing over and over. (from Nick Ray during his 365days around Scotland.)

https://youtube.com/shorts/zch8xsFEsAc? ... jID-uRawP-
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

leighv wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:41 am
They totally freak me out... When I am out paddling I never go near ships if I am in harbours.
Yep, stay away from ships, this muppet actually reaches out to touch it, which pulls the kill line. He was nearly screwed into chum!
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

What did he expect. Probably lucky he's not in Davy Jones locker.
Perhaps the Youtube title needs some modification like 'Jet ski twerp thinks it's sensible to touch a large moving ship' (an irrational action)
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

What an absolute tool.
leighv

Post by leighv »

Typical jet ski wanker.
john.ruston

Post by john.ruston »

Would it have been a great loss ?
The MCA were considering changes in the legislation concerning personal watercraft. Requests for submissions were circulated. The process is closed now I hear. Something akin to firearms control would have been appropriate for Jet Skis. This clip show what other users have to put up with. Making contact with that vessel might have been regarded as a Collision so putting Master and Watch up for formal enquiry. Very disruptive to their day and quite unnecessary.
Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Bertie1,

You have nothing to worry about, I have kayaked along side of dolphins, porpoise, seals and basking sharks off the west coast of Scotland, the inner and outer Hebrides and east coast of Yorkshire. I have also swam along side them all when we were out on Tiree, what a wonderful experience that was.

Porpoise are very shy and will move away from you, dolphins are curious and appear to be friendly, seals are curious but very weary if you get too close and the basking sharks just glide about feeding not really taking too much notice of you.

I hope that helps with your irrational fear.
andymac1969

Post by andymac1969 »

No such thing as irrational fears in my book!
Don't worry about dolphins or basking sharks as Neptune has just said, not too sure of killer whales though.........
Jonny_W

Post by Jonny_W »

Are Orcas ok ?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct4wf1

(23 minutes).
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

There are some fairly forthright views or Orcas here too.
(And an attempt to balance the scales a bit with the very unfair situation in PR between sharks & cetaceans.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fwwx9v
Grian

Post by Grian »

I recommend Emotional Freedom Technique aka Tapping, have seen it work miracles with fears among other issues.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”