Sea kayaker rescued from The Channel - Weird or wonderful?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
seawolf856

Sea kayaker rescued from The Channel - Weird or wonderful?

Post by seawolf856 »

Did anyone else wonder what the details behind this story were? or is it me? He was English, did nobody miss him after 4 days? Kayaking in October in just swimming trunks? I'm not judging, just wanting to understand what possesses anybody to paddle across the busiest shipping lane in the world without telling anyone where you were going and not having the self rescue skills just in case. It all seems a bit weird to me, although it is wonderful that he was rescued.
rockhopper

Re: Sea kayaker rescued from The Channel - Weird or wonderful?

Post by rockhopper »

Apparently, yes, just in swimming trunks but also in an inflatable kayak .... Probably seemed a good idea at the time..

Rog.
PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

seawolf856 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:24 pm
Did anyone else wonder what the details behind this story were?
Yep! It's pretty clear that there is some confusion in the reporting of this one. The BBC report says he was either in the water for 2 or 12 days - depending on whether you believe the coast guard log or what the rescuers thought he was saying. I'd like to find out, because even 2 days seems too long to survive in swimming trunks in the Channel. The BBC reporter was on the rescuer's Twitter feed asking for permission to use their photos, so it's probably more Chinese Whispers than witness testimony at the moment.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

The photos show no sign of paddling gear. Was he really kayaking, or did he end up in the water doing something he doesn't want to admit to?
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

One of the symptoms of hypothermia is a confused mental state, so it wouldn't be at all surprising if anything he said to his rescuers didn't make a lot of sense.

Something else that is fairly common is 'paradoxical undressing', though if he'd reached that stage he's extraordinarily lucky those Dutch fishermen didn't arrive even minutes later. I'm not sure whether that's more or less likely than his having survived for 48 hours in the water in just his pants.
mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

Someone in the water wearing no clothes would have a life expectancy measured in hours. No chance of surviving several days.

If the buoy was big enough to climb onto maybe he managed to get out the sea? Even then his story sounds unlikely. I don't think many people could survive four days without water, never mind the cold.

And 26C doesn't round right. Hypothermia is said to begin when you're core temperature drops just two degrees centigrade. At 26C you'd surely be dead?
Have fun and don't die.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Thanks for chipping in guys, something about this story just didn’t sit right with me and the 26 degree body temp confirmed plain poor reporting.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Whatever occurred I hope the guy firstly recovers and has learnt a lesson is not discouraged joins a group of paddlers. There is undoubtedly at least a degree of increased safety in numbers particularly if there are experienced paddlers included.
Saving lives at sea last week included a group of 16 paddle boarders rescued from Ramsey sound who could well have been swept out to sea.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

As with most media these says, it seems quite acceptable to base stories on "alternative facts". It's in the Daily Mail to boot.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
Franky

Post by Franky »

He does look in genuinely bad shape in the photos on https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... veals.html

The buoy looks big enough to climb onto...I suppose at some point it will emerge whether he spent the time on it. That seems more likely than his surviving two days in the water.

Evidently he had personal problems, and was not in regular contact with his family. Trying to cross the Channel in October in a SOT and a pair of trunks (if that is how he got there) suggests seriously impaired judgment, and not somebody who'd be interested in joining a canoe club.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

He was hypothermic, and may have been hallucinating to the point of undressing; there's something that might be clothing hanging on the topmarks of the buoy. I'm still not convinced he was paddling - for a non-paddler in an inflatable or SOT (stories vary) to get half-way across the channel to where he was found would be quite an achievement.
Tricky Ricky

Post by Tricky Ricky »

Update to this on the Times online.
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

Tricky Ricky wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:49 am
Update to this on the Times online.
I'm not a subscriber - if you have access, could you summarise?

All I can see is a headline saying that he was trying to get to Spain. Suggests some serious mental health issues.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

All I can see is a headline saying that he was trying to get to Spain. Suggests some serious mental health issues.
Not much more than that, and a repeat of what's been reported before. To me, there's still something odd about the story.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:11 am
Not much more than that, and a repeat of what's been reported before. To me, there's still something odd about the story.
My sentiments exactly about this story Chris, which is why I posted in the first place. The way it was reported as a "kayaker" and not a "person" annoyed the hell out of me. Sea kayakers get enough bad press due to the behaviour of the masses and their 'supermarket' kayaks and SUPs putting to sea without a clue about the dangers or consequences. The group of 16 SUPs which ChrisJK mentions who decided to paddle out to Ramsey Island included people who had NEVER been on the sea before!! The level of stupidity beggars belief. Thank god for the RNLI who were called for a taxi ride home to the mainland.
Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

Surely this is a good news story?

If it means none of us needs to splash out £1,000 or more on unnecessary drysuits that can only be welcome.
Tricky Ricky

Post by Tricky Ricky »

Hard to summerise without cut and pasting quotes etc. But essentially he split from his girlfriend, was living in various towns and had never been into kayaking but decided paddling to Spain made sense.

There but for the grace of God go I.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

So - NOT "a kayaker" then, just an unfortunate individual. If he had walked up Ben Nevis in just his speedos and got airlifted off by the Mountain Rescue, would he have been called "a mountaineer" ??
Tricky Ricky

Post by Tricky Ricky »

Quite possibly. Just life.
john.ruston

Post by john.ruston »

Sounds like a good candidate for a Darwin Award.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”