Did YOU paddle today ?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
jackp

Re: Did YOU paddle today ?

Post by jackp »

Quite a tiring paddle out today for 1hr30 ,very windy and hard work .about every muscle in my arms/body aching now!
I think maybe at high tide it would be a bit too rough
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Ok it was yesterday
However I made an upstream/downstream paddle on the lower Dee which was flowing at several knots and after finding a small eddy which helped avoiding upsetting freshly set up fisher folk. Paddled 2 miles upstream which was an interesting challenge with opposing flow and wind and at times total contra jour lighting with out sunglasses meaning virtual blindness with possible tree hazards ahead and on either side.
Corners produced various swellies and moderate wind issues.
I got to a local landmark and after a careful turn and a brief drifting bit of r&r sped back with ease where my watch gives a top speed of 7.2 mph.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

First outing in '23. Bank holiday Monday 2nd Jan in North Wales. Paddled from Colwyn Bay to the Victorian Pier at Llandudno and back. An opportune weather window spotted between low pressure systems. A gorgeous but very cold day.

jackp

Post by jackp »

Hi,been out a few times this week....went for a snorkel/paddle on Tuesday which was bit chilly but didn’t see much marine life .
Today it got bit rough in the swell and was a good workout going upwind ,I was surprised to see a seal infront of me in the rough sea ,never seen one in that part of the harbour before but maybe there is new ones
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

I went out on Sat, first time for over a week.

Unusually calm weather, set off a bit late in evening without lights, so didn't dawdle much (apart from obligatory seal spotting and rock hopping).

Felt really good to get back on water; unfortunately I strained one shoulder, so will be a while before I do that again. :( Consequence of age I guess.
leighv

Post by leighv »

Hell yeah I paddled today! Having the best time out in Pembrokeshire!

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Hi Leigh, great pics. Any chance you could pinpoint that waterfall with a grid ref for me, looks like a very cool place to paddle and I'm due a visit to Pembrokeshire. Send a PM if you don't want to make it too public.
leighv

Post by leighv »

seawolf856 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:10 am
Hi Leigh, great pics. Any chance you could pinpoint that waterfall with a grid ref for me, looks like a very cool place to paddle and I'm due a visit to Pembrokeshire. Send a PM if you don't want to make it too public.
Hi! Unfortunately my Paddle Logger failed to properly save the data for some reason, but it was somewhere between Cwm-Yr-Eglwys and Newport Bay. At a guess, I suspect it's somewhere in the region of 52.022179, -4.887449; it was about 20m high so hard to miss! I'll ask my coach if he has more precise information (he took the photo).
leighv

Post by leighv »

seawolf856 wrote:
I've had confirmation from my coach that the exact location of the waterfall is:

52°01'24.3"N 4°53'21.5"W
52.023402, -4.889295
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

leighv wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:35 pm
seawolf856 wrote:
I've had confirmation from my coach that the exact location of the waterfall is:

52°01'24.3"N 4°53'21.5"W
52.023402, -4.889295
Thanks Leigh, appreciate you taking the time to find out.
leighv

Post by leighv »

seawolf856 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:29 pm
Thanks Leigh, appreciate you taking the time to find out.
I hope it's as spectacular when you get there as it was when we were there!

Here's a short clip that my coach recorded: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp4h6OSg ... MyMTA2M2Y=
P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Yes, first time in bloody ages. The wife and I had a pootle from mudeford up the the stour and back. There was quite a flow through the bottle neck from the river into the harbour, made the return speedy & effortless. Bit miffed by the no landing signs as there were dog walkers???
Yes It's a SOT but it ain't no bath tub.
Tricky Ricky

Post by Tricky Ricky »

Gyles Quay
ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

Not today, but a 4-day trip on the Knoydart coast midweek was rather good......

Cheers!

Ian
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Ian that looks stunning but I presume a tad cold at night.
I paddled on the Vyrnwy today on the section before it runs into the Severn . It's interesting to negotiate boils,fairly swift current variations and cut into eddies of the must make it sort in a wooden sea boat and using a Greenland paddle.
A great mixed boat paddle
ian johnston

Post by ian johnston »

Hey Chris,

Actually pretty good temperatures....20°C by day, 9°C at night...in April!

The Severn sounds quite sporting in a sea boat!

Ian
leighv

Post by leighv »

ian johnston wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:39 pm
Not today, but a 4-day trip on the Knoydart coast midweek was rather good......

Cheers!

Ian
Looks like a brilliant trip! I was out on a three day kayaking trip around Bute the other week myself, also pleasantly surprised by the relatively mild weather. I can't wait to get up to Scotland again for another trip, hopefully around July!
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Hi Ian
It was the Vyrnwy which runs into the Severn.
The boat is 17’7” and the water was moving/grade 1 the eddy mentioned was just before a fallen tree crossing the river so a portage was required.
I’m sure skills are learnt I used my shorter Greenland paddle which greatly helped
andycon

Post by andycon »

Rhoscolyn to Porth Dafarch and back. Near perfect conditions for the first sea paddle of the year. Hope many more to come.Image

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

andycon wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:10 pm
Rhoscolyn to Porth Dafarch and back. Near perfect conditions for the first sea paddle of the year. Hope many more to come.Image

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Ahh, the black arch -I bet the White arch was pretty good too that day. A lovely stretch of coast that.
P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Poole again. We wanted to get across to Brownsea so headed towards cleaval point as we were going to go via Green and Furze island. A quick Google midway and see it's a no go area, so decided to go straight across to Brownsea. Was approaching the deep water bouys and a sight seeing boat came around Green island and I decided to turn back as we wouldn't make it. As we were heading back another larger and faster boat came round the back of Brownsea. It's pretty busy traffic wise right there so I made the right call I think.
leighv

Post by leighv »

P4ddy wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:19 pm
Poole again. We wanted to get across to Brownsea so headed towards cleaval point as we were going to go via Green and Furze island. A quick Google midway and see it's a no go area, so decided to go straight across to Brownsea. Was approaching the deep water bouys and a sight seeing boat came around Green island and I decided to turn back as we wouldn't make it. As we were heading back another larger and faster boat came round the back of Brownsea. It's pretty busy traffic wise right there so I made the right call I think.
Why not simply wait for a gap in the traffic? I’ve paddled around Poole Harbour loads, there are always boats to dodge. Just cross the dredged boating channels at right angles, and if the wash makes you nervous, just wait for it to pass. Most of the harbour is less than a metre deep, so you’re unlikely to run into trouble!
P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Maybe in hindsight but the wife's a slower paddler and I got paranoid. A boat at 10 knots appears to approach rather quick. We did wait for quite a few boats throughout the day but as soon as that one cleared the bigger and faster one appeared around Brownsea. Plus the return had wind and waves behind us so correctional strokes required.
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

Not today, but I'm back to paddling 2-3 times a week.

Pleased with getting the feeling of strength back. It is nearly always windy here, so I need strength to handle the wind slog, and the confused seas that are common.

Quite happy to manage 6 kph into 30 knot winds (sorry for mixing my units!).

Less happy with my downwind paddling. Still not getting consistent on catching downwind, find it very tough.
I've bought a heart rate monitor, to get an idea of how I'm stretching my (past middle aged) heart. Into wind; 120-130 bpm. Downwind; 150-160bpm!
leighv

Post by leighv »

I stopped in the Lake District on my way up to Scotland, and did a full paddle around Ullswater today. Took four hours and 45 mins to do the 30km, with four quick “relief” stops. A little blustery at times, but still a lovely day! I did put a couple of cringey scratches on my hull from lurking rocks that were hard to see. Tomorrow, I’m heading over to Arran!

Last edited by leighv on Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
leighv

Post by leighv »

P4ddy wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:42 pm
Maybe in hindsight but the wife's a slower paddler and I got paranoid. A boat at 10 knots appears to approach rather quick. We did wait for quite a few boats throughout the day but as soon as that one cleared the bigger and faster one appeared around Brownsea. Plus the return had wind and waves behind us so correctional strokes required.

Fair enough! :) Better to know your limits than get too cocky, and potentially end up with a problem.
leighv

Post by leighv »

mrcharly wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:44 pm
Less happy with my downwind paddling. Still not getting consistent on catching downwind, find it very tough.
I've bought a heart rate monitor, to get an idea of how I'm stretching my (past middle aged) heart. Into wind; 120-130 bpm. Downwind; 150-160bpm!
I actually really dislike paddling downwind. I know I’m in a minority here, but I find the sensation of broaching on following seas really disconcerting, and, like you, tend to find my heart rate increasing because it can make me feel a bit anxious if the swell is quite big.
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

leighv wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:35 pm
mrcharly wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:44 pm
I actually really dislike paddling downwind. I know I’m in a minority here, but I find the sensation of broaching on following seas really disconcerting, and, like you, tend to find my heart rate increasing because it can make me feel a bit anxious if the swell is quite big.
Really don't like broaching - and paddling with a big rudder makes this more likely.

Mostly, on windy days, I stick to the lochs and don't venture out onto the open waters of the Minch. So the waves tend to be very short and often steep. Going into them, its not uncommon for them to wash over the boat and slap me in the chest. Catching those downwind is challenging - it is very easy to bury the bow in the wave in front, which brings me to a near halt, then the inevitable broach happens.

I'm getting better at avoiding this and recovering.
jackp

Post by jackp »

Did go out early this morning for a challenging swim against the tide along the beach . More as a practice for kayaking scenarios but had made me realise more that with a BA it would be almost impossible to make any progress in fast ish currents

I can just about paddle around 1.000m in one fast spot upto 7 knots but swimming much harder it seems
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Our club (Deva CC) based in Chester has been putting on a series of safety & rescue practice sessions on Tuesday evenings at Colwyn Bay in North Wales for the benefit of our less experienced sea kayak members. Myself and my fellow qualified sea kayak leaders have had a great time with groups of up to 20 paddlers, swimming around our boats and dragging each other out of the water for the last four weeks and last night was the last of the sessions for this year.
The sunset was not ordered by me by the way, but it seemed to arrive just at the perfect moment to pull Mother Natures blanket over this year's sessions.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”