Did YOU paddle today ?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
andycon

Re: Did YOU paddle today ?

Post by andycon »

Many thanks to Seawolf856 and the other instructors. Always good to practice in a controlled but realistic environment.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

Grian

Post by Grian »

A smashing evening paddle!

ImageS0416553 by kirsty, on Flickr
leighv

Post by leighv »

I paddled across to the The Needles/Isle of Wight from Keyhaven. A superb day!
Grian

Post by Grian »

leighv

Post by leighv »

Lovely photo!
leighv

Post by leighv »

I just got back from spending the week down at the Jurassic Coast, which included several sunset paddles. Being on the water as the sun goes down is always wonderful!

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

leighv wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:57 am
Being on the water as the sun goes down is always wonderful!
It's not every day I find the motivation for the early start, but the other end of the day is quite special too. :)

I went out on a silly mission off the N coast of Anglesey last week. There's a rock out there called 'Coal Rock', marked with a cardinal buoy and a transit across three beacons (two on Carmel Head and one on West Mouse) - so despite being covered it's pretty easy to find. According to the charts it's just barely covered on the lowest astronomical tides (0.2m below chart datum), and with the 'supermoon' springs so close to the equinox we more or less had that. As it turned out low water was at dawn.

The idea was to see if I could see the rock at low water and, ideally, step out of my kayak and stand on it. Success on the first part, but the shallowest area is only a tiny pinnacle and there's no way I was going to successfully set foot on it without jumping out of the kayak and swimming about a bit. Didn't really fancy that in the end..

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

The weather and tide gods were having a day off on Saturday and forgot to make Bardsey Island (off end of Llyn Peninsular N. Wales) as inaccessible as usual. So we had a day out to Bardsey.

Oli_31

Post by Oli_31 »

Hopeman to Halaman skerries, Moray Firth - followed a couple of basking sharks (at a respectable distance) for an hour. Great experience and another reason I love messing about in boats

jackp

Post by jackp »

Knackered after about an hour of up wind paddling in gusts of up to 40+ ,hands and arms feels like jelly
I know we mention on here about not holding the paddle too hard but it was going to blow away
In some big ish waves did see some bream fish or maybe bass jumping pretty high up to about 4ft out the waves I’ve not seen fish jump that high before
ForeverYoung

Post by ForeverYoung »

A beautiful lull in the weather today meant we got out around the Faerie isles for a wee mooch about 😊
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I'm sure loads of people have been out paddling but this thread has gone a bit quiet.
I haven't actually paddled today but previously this week I made a circular paddle from Windermere via Ambleside, 2/3rds of Ullswater and most of the length of Coniston. Lovely scenic paddles encountering . I encountered some lumpy /surfable steamer wakes on Windermere and a bit of wind on Ullswater. Of course I visited Wild cat (Peel) island on Coniston.
What is the etiquette regarding steamers? They seem to be heading directly at one. On Ullswater I just paddled hard to get well starboard of one which seemed to be bearing down towards me .
On Windermere I basically tried to keep out of the main channels.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Hi Chris, don't worry, we have been venturing out. Yesterday was a very big spring tide and we had a play in the Menai Straits - for those who don't know, this is the stretch of fast flowing water which separates the isle of Anglesey from the Welsh mainland and is particularly interesting between the two bridges, Menai Bridge and Britannia Bridge.

ForeverYoung

Post by ForeverYoung »

That looks fab, Seawolf!

I barely touched my paddle today, but spent about an hour or so with another lady from our local group practicing getting back into boats and working on some of the stages towards rolling. Both of us are pretty new to all of this, so good to get some time trying lots of techniques before the sea gets way too cold (West of Scotland, so it will get pretty chilly soon!).

So, not quite sure if it counts as paddling, but maybe just playing with boats?
leighv

Post by leighv »

I’ve just done four days of paddling over in Pembrokeshire. Yesterday I was a guinea pig on a chap’s advanced sea leader assessment (he passed!), which was an absolute ripper of a day.

We paddled from Abercastle to Fishguard and got some real chonkers! (I’m the leftmost paddler in these photos that were taken by the coach).

mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

jackp wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:52 pm
Knackered after about an hour of up wind paddling in gusts of up to 40+ ,hands and arms feels like jelly
I know we mention on here about not holding the paddle too hard but it was going to blow away
In some big ish waves did see some bream fish or maybe bass jumping pretty high up to about 4ft out the waves I’ve not seen fish jump that high before
I find that pogies help with paddle retention in strong winds (I regularly paddle in winds of 20 knots; strongest I've been out in was 50 knots).
mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

leighv wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:29 pm
I’ve just done four days of paddling over in Pembrokeshire. Yesterday I was a guinea pig on a chap’s advanced sea leader assessment (he passed!), which was an absolute ripper of a day.

We paddled from Abercastle to Fishguard and got some real chonkers! (I’m the leftmost paddler in these photos that were taken by the coach).

Gosh that looks proper chaotic choppy.

Kudos to the leader for managing to take photos in those conditions.
leighv

Post by leighv »

mrcharly wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:45 am

Gosh that looks proper chaotic choppy.

Kudos to the leader for managing to take photos in those conditions.
Kudos there go to Ian Jennings from Sea Kayak Academy, he was assessing the leader on the trip. It always blows my mind how calm Ian is when everything is pure chaos, he's the calmest paddler I've ever been out with! And best of all, it means there are always lots of pics from his trips, because he takes loads :)
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Just because its December and minus 2 degrees air temp, doesn't mean you can still 'paddle today'.
It was bitterly cold on Sunday but sea conditions along the N.Wales coast were ideal for a paddle round the Great Orme sea cliffs and through the 'fangs' at LLandudno.

leighv

Post by leighv »

Looks like you had surprisingly nice conditions considering the terrible weather! I was supposed to be paddling across to the Needles on Friday but I don't think it's going to happen because of the high winds that are hitting the UK this week... :(
Funnily enough I was looking into Wales as an alternative but it didn't look ideal considering I'd likely be paddling solo.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

leighv wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:23 am
Looks like you had surprisingly nice conditions considering the terrible weather! I was supposed to be paddling across to the Needles on Friday but I don't think it's going to happen because of the high winds that are hitting the UK this week... :(
Funnily enough I was looking into Wales as an alternative but it didn't look ideal considering I'd likely be paddling solo.
Hi Leigh, yeh it was a small weather window which we grabbed. Our normal peer group can be as many as 8 or 10 paddlers but only two of us could make it that day but this time of year you have to take every opportunity if they arise.
I've seen your photos and read your posts, so I know you are a very capable paddler, but if you are ever heading up to North Wales and would prefer not to paddle solo, drop me a PM and if we are going out you would be most welcome to join us and benefit from local knowledge so you wouldn't have to plan anything. I am a 'moderate water' sea kayak leader and don't paddle in mad conditions, so you might find it easy but we always have great days on the water.
leighv

Post by leighv »

seawolf856 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:57 am
]

Hi Leigh, yeh it was a small weather window which we grabbed. Our normal peer group can be as many as 8 or 10 paddlers but only two of us could make it that day but this time of year you have to take every opportunity if they arise.
I've seen your photos and read your posts, so I know you are a very capable paddler, but if you are ever heading up to North Wales and would prefer not to paddle solo, drop me a PM and if we are going out you would be most welcome to join us and benefit from local knowledge so you wouldn't have to plan anything. I am a 'moderate water' sea kayak leader and don't paddle in mad conditions, so you might find it easy but we always have great days on the water.
Hey, that’s super kind of you, thank you! I’m actually happiest paddling in moderate conditions because it means I can still enjoy the scenery whilst also enjoying a bit of movement, so it sounds like your style of paddling would be perfect. I’ll definitely drop you a line next time I’m in your area!
P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Not been on the water since start of July. Lost motivation to do anything other than work and vegetate
Yes It's a SOT but it ain't no bath tub.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Hi P4ddy
You know the answer.... paddling is therapeutic
andymac1969

Post by andymac1969 »

P4ddy wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:32 am
Not been on the water since start of July. Lost motivation to do anything other than work and vegetate
Word on the steet is; you don't get no motivation till after youv'e done it! Even the crazy scientists are saying that now........we don't get motivation or confidence till after we start. Catch 22.
P4ddy

Post by P4ddy »

Catch 22 indeed, so forced myself to go muddy mountain biking this morning, not kayaking but I did go through puddles.
Yes It's a SOT but it ain't no bath tub.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

That's interesting andymac
I go to the pool to learn and practice rolling every week and its the fact that I'd still need to pay if I didn't go that gets me there but once I've started It's great.

P4ddy just think of seeing a Kingfisher and I guess round Poole harbour there maybe loads more wildlife to see including a white tailed Eagle by the look of it.
https://www.roydennis.org/2023/05/30/a- ... e-harbour/
leighv

Post by leighv »

Motivation is a funny thing, isn't it? I also sometimes get a dip in motivation, it can happen when I am stressed or when I've got some turmoil in my life, but I always remind myself that if I go out and do something, I'll always, without fail, feel better for it.
Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

Yep, sometimes getting out of the door is the hardest part. Always worth it afterwards, but it is a bit of a struggle when it's cold, dark and generally a bit miserable out.
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Does an hour practising rolling (and this week completely failing ) count as paddling ?
I think club membership does help maintaining motivation particularly if there is access to a pool and a mix of trips for varying skill levels.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”