Scorpio seat move

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Niv2

Scorpio seat move

Post by Niv2 »

I would like to be able to move the seat in my P&H Scorpio back a couple of cm but am not sure how, or indeed if, I can do this. The seat has a single bolt fixing each side of the cockpit…these turn but don’t seem to come out.
Can anyone advise?
Niv2

Re: Scorpio seat move

Post by Niv2 »

Ok….have been in touch with P&H and they gave me a very speedy response (top marks for customer service!). They said

“ I’m afraid the seat will not easily move unless you remove it, and then drill new holes for the mounting bolts. We have on occasion drilled slots in the top of the seat pillar as we do in whitewater kayaks to make this adjustment easier, but it’s so rarely done in sea kayaks and there’s generally such little benefit to doing so that we don’t tend to these days.”
ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I think the seat is probably where it is for centre of balance reasons. I'm building a Shrike and the manual is insistent on placing the centre of the seat bang on COG further back will push the bow up which is possibly less critical in a WW boat?
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Based on my experience with several P&H sea kayaks, I have always been able to adjust the seat position forwards/backwards by undoing the bolt (or bolts depending on kayak model) located external to the cockpit under the cockpit rim.
NOTE that these bolts have to be completely removed - it is not just a case of loosening them and sliding the seat forwards or backwards. The seat mouldings (at least in my boats) have had a series of slotted holes in the top to allow the bolts to be replaced once the seat has been moved. I've just bought a new P&H Delphin and I had to adjust the seat position, I was told the manufacturer puts the seats in in the 'mid' position and most people just lev with it. A paddling buddy of mine has adjusted the seat in his Scorpio in the same way, so I know it is possible.
The seat is a pretty tight fit so even when the bolts are removed, you may have to 'force' the seat moulding to move. The only difficulty I have ever experienced is replacing the bolts, as getting the square nuts back on underneath and inside the cockpit rim without cross threading them can be REALLY tricky. I hope this helps - good luck.
Niv2

Post by Niv2 »

Thanks for the advice. Have just had another look at mine and you are quite right! Mine was on the centre hole and I have now moved my seat backwards by about 1cm. As you said, quite difficult to get to the nuts!
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

Niv2 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:00 pm
Thanks for the advice. Have just had another look at mine and you are quite right! Mine was on the centre hole and I have now moved my seat backwards by about 1cm. As you said, quite difficult to get to the nuts!
No worries, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it helped and its nice to know the silly little things we learn along the way can be passed on to help our fellow paddlers, it's what makes this forum so fantastic.
eekboom

Post by eekboom »

Very interesting discussion!

How far can the seat be moved forwards/backwards?

I find it a bit hard to lay back on the deck on my Scorpio HV, because the rim is so close to my back and is painful to lay on.
I wondered if moving the seat forward could help with that.
seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

eekboom wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:02 am
Very interesting discussion!

How far can the seat be moved forwards/backwards?

I find it a bit hard to lay back on the deck on my Scorpio HV, because the rim is so close to my back and is painful to lay on.
I wondered if moving the seat forward could help with that.
Hi eekboom, its not very far, only a centimetre or so but it may just make the difference if your seat is already all the way back and you move it all the way forwards. If you have the Connect 30 cockpit outfit, you will already know that the back band is free to rotate when you do the layback part of your roll, so moving the seat forwards should help the seat back to rotate under the back rim of the cockpit and improve your layback position.
Please also remember that moving the seat position in a kayak has other implications when it comes to boat handling, so depending on how long you have been paddling the same boat with the same seat position, your Scorpio might feel a little different if you move your seat from all the way back to all the way forwards.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”