Ibiza to Formentera

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Ceegee

Ibiza to Formentera

Post by Ceegee »

I read recently (https://www.ibizakayak.es/vuelta-a-ibiza/ that it's forbidden to cross from Ibiza to Formentera by kayak, under pain of mandatory "rescue" (needed or not) charged at €250/kayak.

Given that it is only a 5km island hop with 2km the longest crossing, and similar rules state all kayaks must stay 200m OFFSHORE from swimming beaches, this seems crazy.

Anybody have any local experience of this, as I was thinking of doing the trip and a circum. in the spring?
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
Ceegee

Re: Ibiza to Formentera

Post by Ceegee »

I see this thread has generated a few comments over on the water safety thread. I've emailed the rental outfit, but heard nothing back, so anything from any local paddlers, or those that have visited appreciated. Here is their exact wording:
"Navigation to Formentera and the islet of Espalmador is expressly prohibited. In the event that the kayaks are in the passage from Ibiza to Espalmador or Formentera, Salvamento Marítimo will be immediately notified of the danger that such company poses for the physical integrity of the participants and other boats. In addition, a rescue penalty of 250 euros per kayak will be charged."
I'm not sure if this is a general law (I'm planning on using my own kayak) or a rental condition. Admittedly it crosses a shipping channel, but yachts, ribs, even skiffs regularly cross this. It's less than 2km ffs, I could sprint it in 10 minutes. See image below, Ibiza on the left, Formentera on the right.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
CathyO

Post by CathyO »

I got curious and went and looked around on the Spanish kayak forum, FB groups and on Wikiloc. People do kayak across, no one mentions that it is illegal or that there is a risk of a fine. People do describe it as very risky / very scary. A LOT of traffic, two ferries an hour, one of them the huge long distance ferry. One guy paddled one way and then took the ferry back! Someone else recommended crossing very early in the morning.
It is Spain, it is possible that it is illegal but still gets done. It is also possible that the kayak rental company is trying hard to stop inexperienced people assuming the crossing is straightforward.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

CathyO wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:24 pm
I got curious and went and looked around on the Spanish kayak forum, FB groups and on Wikiloc. ...It is also possible that the kayak rental company is trying hard to stop inexperienced people assuming the crossing is straightforward.
Thanks Cathy, in the absence of a response from the local agents, I was assuming the same. On Mallorca the far longer 15km crossing to the Cabreras is doable, but you are not permitted to land, so there, back and a bit of poking around makes for a long day trip.

For Formentara I guess it's island hop to Es Penjats, then a rapid 2km sprint to E'Spalmador timed against the ferry timetables or marinetraffic.com. In fact there is a cardinal mark half way marking the southern limit of the navigable channel! The bigger issue is unpredictable private pleasure craft imo, a problem on all Balearic waters in the summer.

If you could post or PM the links you found I'd appreciate it!

Cheers,
Steve C. G.
CathyO

Post by CathyO »

Hi Steve, the Spanish equivalent of this forum is https://kayakdemar.org/.
A useful Facebook group is Kayak de Mar https://www.facebook.com/groups/246477882096559.
Wikiloc https://www.wikiloc.com/ is a GPS sharing site founded by Catalans and so heavily used in Spain. Various people post their sea kayak tracks, and in the accompanying text, they often put a link to a blog post about the trip.
One more I found by accident, they paddled round Ibiza this summer. https://www.kayakandorra.com/search/lab ... ssa%202021
Also this site might interest you, it is a open source wiki map for sea kayaking, recently set up by a Catalan guy so heavily focused on the Costa Brava at the moment. https://caiacdemar.com/
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

¡gràcies Cathy!
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
CathyO

Post by CathyO »

Feel free to stay in touch. I mainly paddle on the Costa Brava. We did go round Menorca last June and have a vague plan for the North coast of Mallorca next early summer. I'm always interested in knowing more people who like multi-day Mediterranean paddling.
Ceegee

Post by Ceegee »

Thanks, have PM'd you.
Cheers,
Steve C. G.
overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

It looks and sounds fantastic. There is a law against everything these days and to be fair most people (general public) would get into difficulties if they just hired a kayak and tried to do it.
I'd be happy doing it as I'm sure you would. Sea paddling to a good level is quite an elite thing to do (generally speaking), it's about knowing and understanding your own physical and mental capabilities and being able to justify your actions.
ifistos

Post by ifistos »

Hi!

Local paddler living in mallorca here! Unfortunatly, the crossing is actually ilegal in Spain. Kayaking in spain does not have a well cover legal structure. Although it is doable, and i may have done it last year. I strongly advice to check the ferrys timetable as it gets crazy hectic at peak hours

There are so many ferries from diferents companies constantly going back and forth at different speeds that makes it quite hard to set patterns. Not the most enjoyable time. However, ibiza and formentera are trully amazing to explore. We were on a 6 day trip around ibiza, and we spent one day going to formentera, expore a bit and back on the first day

hope it helps

Return to “Sea Kayaking”