NRS Kit

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
MikeB

NRS Kit

Post by MikeB »

Anyone got any experience with NRS kit, specifically the Orion sea cag? https://www.nrseurope.com/product/20022 ... ing-jacket

Sizing is an important factor - being a big chap, a lot of kit from the likes of Yak or Peak just doesn't come in a big enough size. K/tat has been my go-to brand over the years (despite the price) as their largest offering (XXXL) works well for me. Irritatingly, the Tech Tour cag has been discontinued, and it seems they have no plans for a replacement sea specific (hooded) cag in the next year or so. In fact, K/tat kit appears almost unobtainable at the moment.

The NRS sizing for the Orion only goes to XXL / 50in chest. My question is really how true-to-size are they? It appears not to have an openable neck seal - how do you find the "Glideskin" neck arrangement?

Other alternative suggestions? (Not Reed I'm afraid).
G7AFM

Re: NRS Kit

Post by G7AFM »

DButler

Post by DButler »

Hi Mike,

I use the NRS kit a lot (FYI - I'm an ambassador for them). I really like the glideskin neck on my touring cag, and have found the eclipse fabric to be durable and wear well. The seal is comfortable, but does a great job of keeping errent splashes out from my underlayers. You will end up wet after a big surf ride...

Sizewise, I tend to take between a M & L in all clothing. I'm in the Large touring cag, and have some space, so would expect similar if you are between sizes in other equipment?
www.danwilkinson.org
formerly known as Butler!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

G7AFM wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:44 pm
you could go made to measure

https://www.tridentuk.com/gb/kbase/made ... suits.html
Useful to know. But I need a cag. The other option of course for MTM kit is Reed, and indeed Rubberman.
Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I have an NRS drysuit. The advice when I got it was that NRS sizing tends to be long and lean. It has a glideskin neck and latex cuffs, both of which have been fine, but I haven't yet been swimming in it.
Paul-C

Post by Paul-C »

MikeB wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:04 pm
G7AFM wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:44 pm
you could go made to measure

https://www.tridentuk.com/gb/kbase/made ... suits.html
Useful to know. But I need a cag. The other option of course for MTM kit is Reed, and indeed Rubberman.
Dam-x are another option. I think they do a cag.
EoinD

Post by EoinD »

Here's the sizing for the Reed cags https://www.chillcheater.com/fileupload ... 155922.pdf

You could look at going for a Tuliq as they seem to come up pretty roomy. They make them to measure too. PDF sizing charts & forms on the link https://www.chillcheater.com/tuliqs/aqu ... le-cockpit
overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

Hello there

I have worn the ORION on many trips and expeditions. The Orion was my GO-TO item when I paddled around Ireland in 2019. Genuinely the Orion is the best piece of gear I own.
The glideskin neck is comfortable and the latex seals are great on the wrists. The material is tough and breathable. The hood fits really well and is useable even in wind. The hood also fits over a helmet pretty well. The cut of the jacket is non-restrictive (For Me)
I've rolled quite a lot whilst wearing the Orion and the neck seal is adequate for the occasional roll and when we swim our heads are out of the water mostly. If you have a fat neck the seal will be great. Think about your longer trips etc, how many times do you actually roll? When I'm in the surf or doing hardcore rock gaps I wear a drysuit.
When I'm on exped I use a two piece so I can regulate my temp.
Anyway, thumbs up for the Orion cag.
For surfski and summer trips here in the south I use the RIPTIDE jacket is fantastic and its slightly lighter.
Beady

Post by Beady »

Hi. Only just catching up with things again, late to the party!
I have an NRS Riptide jacket, and my paddling partner has the Orion. I'm a small to medium female type, he's very tall and well built (though not running too much to pot).
I find mine to be way too big for me on neck and wrists, and have had to make up additional neoprene/velcro wraps (Health Robinson strike again!). It then serves me well as a lightweight jacket for warmer waters/days, though I use a much heavier and much more water-repellant Peak dry top for colder and more exposed trips now. The Riptide wasn't anywhere near as waterproof as I had hoped, didn't survive rescue practice without looking pretty sodden, and let a lot of water in at the neck and waist. But it's a nice 'cag' for gentle spring to autumn touring, lakes and easy seas when I don't expect to get immersed.
My Partner wears his Orion for all trips, including sub-zero UK air temps, and seems happy enough; he's taken a few swims unintentionally, though hasn't tested it in anger in prolonged practice sessions yet. However, he still finds the neck too large (and he's not got a skinny neck), so I made him an additional neoprene wrap seal too, though he doesn't seem to need to wear it much at the moment. As a jacket, his came up quite big for the size (as did mine).
Nice enough kit for the price, we conclude, though improvements could be made in several areas, mainly neck, waist and wrist fit. Not proper 'dry' or even 'semi-dry' kit though.

Return to “Sea Kayaking”