Emergency patches

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
wurly

Emergency patches

Post by wurly »

Whats the best conveniently packaged emergency repair material i should carry?
I'm trying to be disciplined over carrying excess weight, so i don't really want to carry a roll of tape unnecessarily?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Chris Bolton

Re: Emergency patches

Post by Chris Bolton »

Can you say a bit more about what your boat is made from and the kind of trips you do? A repair that will get you to shore on a day trip is quite different to what you might need if you're 3 days paddling from safety.

wurly

Post by wurly »

Fibreglass. Usually day or weekend trips. Its just incase i (or anyone else i'm with) knocks a hole in the hull while rock hopping. Permenant repairs, i'll do when i'm back home.

Jim

Post by Jim »

A smaller roll of tape?
Epoxy putty can be useful (you could even cut smaller lumps off the sticks and re-wrap), but I find if it has been kicking around unused for a few years it can get a bit hard and difficult to knead (although so far I have always found it possible, just a lot more effort).
Tape is much more multifunctional, you can fix your boat, your clothes, your tent, probably not your stove though.

Owen

Post by Owen »

Sex wax, brilliant for temporary filling holes. Tape and a square of heavy duty plastic sheet. An inflatable buoyancy bag, deflated and rolled up it doesn't take up much space.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Gorilla tape - wide and the narrower variety, is very versatile. You might also consider having some bits of Denso Tape, but it's incredibly messy and will go hard (and useless) in the plastic bag you'll put it in for protection. So needs to be replaced frequently. Kate Duffus has some good ideas on the contents of a repair kit - here.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I have most of the things mentioned, in small quantities. I have one repair box for short trips and one for multi-day. Denso tape has the advantage that it will stick to a wet boat; I sandwich it between two layers of clear film (the kind of thing you get on the cover of spiral bound documents, or the flat bits of the rigid bubble packaging they sell things like scissors in) - so to use it, you pull the film off one side and stick it on the boat, and probably leave the film on the other side, it sticks to everything. I wind half a metre of gaffer tape round something else in the repair kit.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

An alternative to Denso tape that was recommended to some of us is a product called ‘Flex Tape’. Seemingly super effective and not messy or time limited like Denso.

I have to admit I’ve yet to try it.

wurly

Post by wurly »

I think the Kate Duffus link was just what i was looking for. Thanks Mike
I was carrying a roll of gaffer tape last year but it didn't take long to deteriorate. Sea water eventually got into it. I like the idea of sylglass or denso tape patches in sealed bags.
I've not had experience of either. Denso sounds rather messy but if its possible to seal a hole on a wet hull, that sounds just the job.

Ok, i've just ordered some Flextape in white, 4"x 5' ,should be plenty to cut into strips. £3.09 on ebay, cheap to try out.

robhorton

Post by robhorton »

The main options are:
  • Gaffer tape - Seals most things for a few days but needs surface to be dry when applying. Not too messy. Useful for all sorts of things.
  • Denso tape - Like gaffer tape but can be applied to wet surfaces, but makes a horrible mess.
  • Flash band - Can be used on water (with some difficulty) and longer lasting than tape (but harder to remove)
  • Surf wax - Can be applied under water, easy to use and doesn't make a mess but generally not long lasting
  • Epoxy putty - Can be applied under water and long lasting but needs an angle grinder to remove!
It's a good idea to have at least a couple of options in case the first thing you try doesn't work. Howard Jeffs sells most the above as vacuum packed kits (which you pay a premium for but they are pretty convenient) and has some videos on how to use them: https://www.howardjeffs.com/expedition-essentials/

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

Slight tangent - nobody has mentioned air bags so far.

An empty hatch flooding is potentially a very serious problem, but if you can fill the hatch with bagged air it doesn't really matter too much whether a temporary repair of a hole in the hull near the bow or stern is watertight or not. For those of us leaving a white water boat at home to go out in a sea kayak for the day, it seems like a no-brainer to borrow the airbags out of the stern and take them with..

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

Air bags were mentioned a few posts back by Owen.

And yes, I agree they are an extremely good idea. I always keep a large 40 litre one rolled up in my day hatch, along with a roll of extra thick cling film to wrap around the boat to seal it into the hatch opening (thanks Howard Jeffs for that tip).

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks for this thread. I haven't actually been packing any emergency repair kit. Plus whilst I have a couple of air bags in a WW boat I've been reticent to swap them over but do keep an old inflated swim float and an empty air trapped acrylic dry bag as a poor alternatives.
I'd not thought of Denso tape but it is great stuff but messy.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T »

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

wurly wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm

I'm trying to be disciplined over carrying excess weight, so i don't really want to carry a roll of tape unnecessarily?

I meant to include the link to my repair kit. I appreciate you've said that even a roll of tape might be too heavy. So this might not be for you. I generally take flak for the amount of stuff I have, even on a day trip. And, funnily enough, I'm the guy who gets asked if I have a (whatever) quite a lot of the time.

wurly

Post by wurly »

That pretty comprehensive. I'd have to a find lighter alternative to the adjustable spanner and the mole grips. Surely they belong in a trucks tool kit ;0)

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Don't let Mike kid you on - he waits 'till someone else in the group isn't looking and hides it in their boat.... :-)
So much sea - so little time to see it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

wurly wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:05 pm
That pretty comprehensive. I'd have to a find lighter alternative to the adjustable spanner and the mole grips. Surely they belong in a trucks tool kit ;0)
Hehe. Both have proven their worth! The mini adjustable C spanner has been used many times. In fairness, the mole grips got us out of a hole on a multi-day trip, but it was more "camping kit related" than the boat - suffice to say that having no form of cooker for a week would be A Bad Thing! Since the article was written, I've added a full size Stanley multitool as well ;-)

As to P/b's scurrilous accusation, did you have your own repair piece for the tent pole on the Etive trip in the middle of December some years ago? I know I had some - - -

:-)

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

"As to P/b's scurrilous accusation, did you have your own repair piece for the tent pole on the Etive trip in the middle of December some years ago? I know I had some - - -

:-)"
LOL -- Never did see which boat it came out of though.
So much sea - so little time to see it.