Drysuit Neck seal's?????

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
creatamax

Drysuit Neck seal's?????

Post by creatamax »

Hi everyone.
Mike here, hope you are all well during these crazy times.
So asking the same old thing that i imagine has been asked a million times but i'm after a new drysuit. It only seems that they are now available with a glideskin neck seals and not latex apart from kokatat but i don't have that sort of money even though i appreciate what you get as ive had a goretex kokatat one before.

I know the pros and cons to save that discussion but i suppose i really want to know is does a glideskin neck really keep you dry practicing rolls and water rescues ect like we do in sea kayaking all the time or am i going to end up quite soggy?. I would like a latex neck but again i don't know and cant find someone that does one? that has a hood for touring use as i know whitewater suits do have them but i want a nice touring hood as its essential in my eyes for expeds but also like to play and exped getting in the water.

So from real time users of glideskin whats you views on this?. I see the peak explorer suit has a tensioning band it says so can tighten it for such occasions but would that not just make a small crease where the neo pulls to tighten which would allow water in when tensioned ?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers Mike

Chris Bolton

Re: Drysuit Neck seal's?????

Post by Chris Bolton »

I have Typhoon with a glideskin neck and wrists, but use it for sea expeditions where I don't do a lot of rolling. The wrists sealed against waves as well as latex when new, but they do slack off after a couple of years, and they're are harder to DiY replace. However, if you want latex, there are still lots: Typhoon Multisport, Lomo, DamX, Peak Deluxe One, NRS, ... surprised you can't find any.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Appreciate the reply. If you did read the above right though i did specify i wanted a hood and all those are without a hood it's easy to find ones with latex without a hood. I wanted a touring one with a latex neck and a nice hood and high collar like all the touring ones available and like the kokatat ones, just seems that you cant have one with a hood and a latex seal, on a long expedition you don't want to go getting wet by a flushing neck if something happens or you get munched in surf landing are launching hence why kokatat offer latex with a hood and are used on big epeds.
Just seems weird that no one in the uk seems to offer them, i know reed do but the waiting times are a nightmare and had 3 bad experiences with ordering stuff. A drysuit with a neck seal that lets in water is pointless id just rather use a good two piece system as it would be much more versatile and just as good but is against the point.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Sorry, I did see the mention of a hood but understood the latex to be the main point. I think the difficulty is that hoods are considered a touring feature and frequent rolling isn't, hence the whitewater suits have latex seals but don't have hoods. Personally I can't stand paddling in a hood, it destroys my peripheral awareness, but I understand people differ.

Maybe if you ask Typhoon they would fit a neoprene neck to a PS440? If not, they might supply one with the neck seal and you could ask somebody like Rubberman to fit one?

I have seen a post recently, maybe not here, from somebody who has managed to find a separate hood that can be attached to a suit.

A few thoughts on seals here in the Leaky Drysuit thread.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Hi Chris thanks for the reply. Yes go’s both ways for sure, but I see it as if your in the cold water touring or not you should be dressed for submersion not just spray just wish it was an option from company’s rather then the way!. it’s just when it’s really cold And your down winding and you got paddle spray lashing at your head and ears a hood is the best thing ever personally for me and don’t want to have to carry a neo hood or reed hood as an extra.
Just gonna have to make do, I’ve messaged company’s and asked but the design of the stitching on the suits on the top are not designed for latex and not robust enough apparently.
Don’t really want to go modding a new suit but might be the case or just get a whitewater one and not have the luxury haha.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I see it as if your in the cold water touring or not you should be dressed for submersion
Yes, I understand that. I've practiced rescues in a neoprene glideskin neck, and it was OK, but not actually rolling. I reckon I'd cope with a small amount of leakage if I had to roll, and after having torn a latex neck in Greenland, because it was close to freezing when I put it on and the latex had lost all its elasticity, I decided a neoprene seal that might leak a bit was better than the risk of a torn neck that leaked a lot.

I have a Lowe Alpine hat with ear flaps that's my usual cold weather headgear, and I would put up the hood on my PS220 if sea conditions and group communication were such that I could manage without all round awareness.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Yeah they durability issues are definitely real and full agree with that for sure. Are the glideskin necks not to bad then? I guess I’ll just have to try one and find out.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Are the glideskin necks not to bad then?
Much more durable than latex, and almost as watertight at least for the first 3-5 years. I don't think manufacturers would sell them on drysuits if they weren't capable of a reasonable seal. I think they are better than the seals on a Reed paddlesuit (which Reed don't claim as a drysuit).

Glideskin seals are definitely much closer to a latex seal than to the 'semi-dry' neoprene seals on some cags.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Cool cheers chris thanks for the info definitely helpful. Cheers mike

In Amber Clad

Post by In Amber Clad »

I have a 'superstretch' lycra-type material on my Peak Adventure suit. It's rubbish. It quickly leaks in water unless it's tightened like mad, at which point you may as well have a latex seal. I really don't see the point.
Last edited by In Amber Clad on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Hi In Amber Clad
Thats the sort of thing i was looking for i have heard they wasn't great but mixed reviews. I never found an issue with latex to be honest even on long tours, think im going to have to get a whitewater suit and deal with not having the hood haha.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Not having the hood is an advantage in rolling / rescues when it just fills with water and drags you back under again..... So, if that's your kind of thing, you might not miss a hood as much as you think.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Never had any issues rolling or doing rescues with a hood to be honest.

EoinD

Post by EoinD »

Hi Cretamax,
As a 1/2 way solution would it be worth getting a replacement drysuit neck seal something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-Neck- ... 1388023741 and just wearing it so it grips over your current inner neck as an over seal? They seem cheap enough to experiment with and if it works you could use it across several different options (whole suit, cag top etc) Not tried this but it seems like a possible work-around that would save having a separate hood.

EoinD

Post by EoinD »

Sorry the example I posted was neoprene, but a silicone one something like this might work ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/silicone-nec ... SwfDRf1N0c

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Yeah have thought about trying that. I know Gul do a neck power seal which makes a collar tighter and seal better apparently.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Ultimately if they just made a touring drysuit with a latex neck like they used to everything would be great!!! Haha

EoinD

Post by EoinD »

I don't mind the odd quick dunk with my Yak Apollo cag as it's a fairly reliable seal if I remember to tighten it! But I'm going to be doing a lot of practice rolling this year & want to avoid having to buy another just for practice sessions (where I'll either have to choke it off) so having been spurred into action by this thread I've just bought this to try in the spring ; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152672023726 it shouldn't be too choking and It's cheap enough to do as an experiment. Not sure I'll have any use for the cuffs yet though.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Be good to see how it go’s. That’s how I feel I don’t want to have to have And can’t afford to have two suits just to have a rolling or surf session And would enjoy not being wet after. Think I’m going to get a whitewater suit and just have to carry a wetsuit hood and a warm hat. Although I have messaged every drysuit maker I could find to see if they would put a latex neck seal in there touring suits, will message back as to how I get on.

Jonny_W

Post by Jonny_W »

Slightly off-piste, but a viable alternative would be a Sou’wester, for example :-

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/rain-hat+D967

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/hh-souwester-67754

It would enable you to wear whatever dry suit/neck seal you want and keep most of your hearing/visual awareness too. If slightly oversize, then can wear a beanie underneath when it’s cold.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Just to update this. I emailed every drysuit maker I could find that make a touring suit and only Typhoon said they can replace the Neoprene neck seal with a latex one and for a very good price of £31.49.
Awesome service by typhoon. Will be getting a multisport sk and having that done.

moizec

Post by moizec »

any chance to full of water the drysuit with no latrx neck?
I am gonna buy a Peak Explorer, and after tried the neoprene neck is too long for my neck, it can almost cover the chin and mouth, I am concerned if will be easy to leak water, how much water? to full up clothes and socks?

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Someone on here posted that they added a latex neck to a suit that was fitted with a neoprene as standard. It was added rather than replaced but I can’t find the post. It was one of the members that has been around forever and therefore knows what they are talking about. It might have been MikeB?

There does seem to be neoprene that is as good as latex but it seems to be exclusive to the scuba community so far. They, for obvious reasons, more likely to spend more on keeping dry that we are...
Growing old disgracefully

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston »

Beryl wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 pm
...... It was added rather than replaced but I can’t find the post. It was one of the members that has been around forever and therefore knows what they are talking about. It might have been MikeB?

PM sent.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

It is easy to add a latex seal inside a neoprene one, at least with the Peak, I might have described how in a previous post. I liked the neoprene for touring but then had a prolonged swim in a cave after being squeezed by swell against the roof. By the time I'd swum to suitably friendly water to get back in I was completely wet inside. I would never recommend neoprene unless paddling with someone close enough and in conditions for a very quick rescue.

creatamax

Post by creatamax »

Thanks Pete. Yeah i definitely prefer a latex neck for those exact reasons and even the chance of getting munched in a wave on an exped while landing its a bad thought with a neoprene neck.

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

Hi Guys
Just to assure you that NRS do offer custom latex seals on their Navigator Suit here in the UK. If a suit for all round paddling is what you're after then thats a good option. For longer expeditions in colder climates the glide skin is great as over time- it is more comfortable and on exped a roll etc is pretty seldom, the glide skin does work well for an occasional dunk but will let in a dribble if your getting smashed up in an impact zone.
In regards to hoods, the Navigator suit and the Orion cag allow for the hood to be rolled up and fastened. Someone mentioned a hood causing problems when one is in the water due to acting kind of like a sea anchor, well I don't think that is noticeable, but the hood can be rolled and fastened for play sessions. What is more noticeable is paddling into strong wind, the hood does catch the wind when it's down, which is why it can be rolled up and secured. The hood also fits around the head well and can be reduced so it wont inflate or blow down. NRS kit is amazing and yes I am sponsored by NRS- but as some of you know I have been with them for a few years now. I wouldn't still be with them if they didn't make gear that works well. They also have people behind them that are super knowledgeable, listen, encourage and design amazing kit :)

RickC

Post by RickC »

I have a two year old Typhoon Multisport SK which has worked well so far, even with the glideskin neck seal. As Overfall says, glideskin is more comfortable than latex on multi-day trips - no chafe. I've been dry for rolling and tiderace work. The suit is well-featured with a pile-lined collar which I was sceptical about, thinking it would feel cold a wet all the time but it doesn't. There are plenty of pockets, and a very good hood that works fine with a helmet or without. It packs away into the collar and is completely contained. I find re-packing a bit fiddly when I'm solo so I don't often use it on the water. I like to have a feel of the wind direction and strength (old racing sailor) when going downwind and a hood prevents this - even high collars can reduce the feel a bit. I prefer a comfy helmet on the water - it's warm and dry with no faff! But the hood is great off the water - making camp or during a lunch stop.

I think the Multisport SK is a pretty good all-round suit (other than the colour - dark blue isn't exactly hi-vis) and as Typhoon will fit your choice of neck seal for such a bargain price it's good value. They come with a three year warranty and I think they are made in the UK. Great repair/backup service and will do modifications at a reasonable price. I also have a four year old Multisport Hinge with glideskin neck which is still dry, following a repair under warranty for a zip issue. Comparing the fabric, I think the SK may not be quite as robust as the original Multisport but time will tell. I'm not sponsored (by anyone) or connected with Typhoon in any way.

Cheers, Rick

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I like to have a feel of the wind direction and strength (old racing sailor) when going downwind and a hood prevents this - even high collars can reduce the feel a bit.
I'm the same, but it hadn't occurred to me that sail racing might be the cause, thanks.