Norse Kayaks - Idun/Bylgja

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
O2b

Norse Kayaks - Idun/Bylgja

Post by O2b »

I was considering getting a Valley Etain. Then I found the Norse kayaks, slightly cheaper and composite as well. I have searched the forum, but I didn't find any previous mention of them. Does anyone have any first hand experience of these?
I have searched online as well, and apart from a demo by Water Wizards, there is scant information.
Any help/advice with this would be welcome.

ChrisJK

Re: Norse Kayaks - Idun/Bylgja

Post by ChrisJK »

Hello
I have no idea and I only have a round hulled boat but here is a review. https://www.canoe-shops.co.uk/reviews/t ... a-idun.htm

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo »

In the absence of any actual user reports so far, all I can chip in is that we've seen a chap paddling one out from Looe a few times and have stopped and chatted with him. It seemed to have the classic Greenland form-factor, but he was just using it for gentle cruising along the coast, so we didn't find out how it handled. He seemed very happy with it and he got it for a remarkably low price from Cornwall Canoes. It did look pretty though, with the nice paint job and Norse symbols running along the seams. If I were on the look out for a boat, I'd definitely want to find out more about this one - Cornwall Canoes' website doesn't say anything about demo boats, but I'd call them to check.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

What was it that you liked about the Etain? looking at the photo of the Norse kayaks the hull design seems to be very different to that of the Etain so they will probably feel very different on the water.
They do seem to be well made but as with all kayaks, the usual advice applies - don't part with a penny until you have tried it.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Good discussion about them on sea kayak U.K. Facebook page.
Everyone seems happy with their handling and quality, I’m yet to see anything negatively criticised.

See post there on 17 dec

Phil Hk

Post by Phil Hk »

It is worth noting that, as far as I can establish, the review site above posted by ChrisJK, has been carried out by the company which is sole supplier in UK. This is in no way a criticism , just a simple observation. The company were very helpful when I discussed scope for a demo. I did not, however, take it up as a second hand model of another kayak I was after became available

Hope this helps
Phil

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff »

As with all kayak equipment made abroad you should consider what happens if there is an issue with the item. If its a Valley boat and you break it then it can always go back to Valley. Same with a PeakUK drysuit which is made abroad, but they have the staff in the UK who do repairs and refurbs. In the past there have been a lot of issues with imported kayaks that have had defects sometimes minor sometimes major, but its really difficult to get the retailer to rectify the problem and sending a kayak back to a factory abroad is rarely an option.
Interestingly they dont say where the kayaks are made on their website so its reasonable to assume not Norway, perhaps China ?
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

Thanks Phil HK, Yes I did note in retrospect. That the review had come from the seller. Perhaps some direct questions to the seller might help answer some issues.
Try before you buy does seem to be a very helpful way of seeing if a boat is what one requires. I am not sure if this group does this. Some shops allow more than just a sit in.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

If they don't have enough confidence in the product they are selling to let you have a reasonably extended test paddle (or possibly hire you one for a couple of days with the hire cost coming off the price if you decide you like it and go on to buy...) then I'd be wondering why.....
Given that they do seem to be paddlers then they will realise that buying a new boat is very much about what is right for you - so I'd assume they wouldn't want to sell you something which you might regret buying.
It's also in their best interests to have happy customers.
If you buy it, and you like it, you might tell a handful of friends, who might go on to buy one htemselves.
If you buy it and don't like it then, through the magic of social media, the whole world will get to hear about it.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

The review was written by people from their 'Manchester Canoes' shop (actually in Warrington) - I recognise them and believe they know their stuff. For reasons of pandemic, the shop is operating as mail order only, and for that reason I doubt they will be offering demos at present. I don't know what their normal policy is, I've only bought accessories from them.

Phil Hk

Post by Phil Hk »

I phoned Kayaks and Paddles branch (Ivybridge) who were happy to arrange a demo to be collected at nearest store to me in Poole in between lockdown 1 and 2

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

Phil Hk wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:38 am
I phoned Kayaks and Paddles branch (Ivybridge) who were happy to arrange a demo to be collected at nearest store to me in Poole in between lockdown 1 and 2
Be sure to let us all know how you got on - an independent review is always valuable and one to add to the Almanac if it's a new-to-UK boat

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I think lockdowns one and two are already behind us?

I took an interest when these first appeared. The reviews were done by staff of the venders so not of much use to the cynical minded. But its nice to have a single hard chined hull in modern materials at a bargain price.
Growing old disgracefully

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Be sure to let us all know how you got on
I think lockdowns one and two are already behind us?
See Phil Hk's post further up - he was offered the demo but didn't take it up as he found a second hand boat that he liked.

lennart

Post by lennart »

As An employee from kajak.nl seller of norse/valley/ph/north shore/aquarius and more.here are some toughts.

Norse gas been in our shop die a couple of seasons. Both the idun and bylgia are providing good stable manouvrable boats.that are easy to carry and are well build. Most of those are not used to do rough stuff as you van do ariound the uk.

Reasons for being cheap: build by a srilankan boatbuilder in his off seasons.
2 no personification at all White with black or red ends. Take OR leave IT.
3 the small front hatch has a mesh inside. ..
At our shop we make a difference between. Seaexpedion kayak s valley ph tiderace north shore.and ' big open water' boats like norse Aquarius stellar.
The secondbatch is lichter cheaper but Will probably not take the rough expedition and rescue user as good as the first batch.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.