Vendee Globe...

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Beryl

Vendee Globe...

Post by Beryl »

Amazing stuff on water, huge speeds, circumnavigation of the world in under three months and all on yer own!
Trouble is this foil tech, high speed is on my local estuary in dingy size and they fall off a bit. It’s only been this last twelve months on the Fal but it’s a bit disturbing. At least Jetskis have an unimpeded view so they can buzz you without unintentional damage...
Growing old disgracefully

Beryl

Re: Vendee Globe...

Post by Beryl »

Well, we are obviously a parochial lot! The englander interest has hit a brick wall when our chap hit an underwater object ( a carefully placed Chinese container some say) but there’s a very personable German competitor who is, like others, posting Crystal Clear videos of life in the middle of nowhere in the other half of the world... amazing in itself! Personally I would want to take it more slowly.

I’m surely not alone in being worried about foil sailing in enclosed waters like estuaries. An affordable dingy travelling at a pace normally reserved for powered craft with added obscured vision?

Remember when one of us gets chopped in half, you heard it here first :)

stuartpicken

Post by stuartpicken »

The thing is i'm not concerned about there becoming a blight of flying skiffs zooming about our coastal waters because, quite simply, it's hard to do
And on mass people are rubbish at stuff.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Well, we are obviously a parochial lot!
I wouldn't say that, but as a Forum, we've never had a 'non-paddling' chat area, which I think was a deliberate policy of the founder. So, although I'm interested in the Vendee, I don't post about it here. Although, since you mention it, there are still two Brits racing and one planning to finish the course despite having been forced to retire.

I missed your second topic, and I agree, it's for all water uses to make sure they are not a hazard to anyone else, and that may mean them finding a clear space of sea. Are they Moths, these falling-over foilers - arguably, not having a jib and sitting well outboard, they do have a reasonable view. I'm out of date on dinghies, and I guess that there will be 2-up foilers soon, if there aren't already.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

At the speed they travel I would hope for more than a ‘reasonable view’. They are learning in the estuaries which tend to crowded? Anyways, it will be interesting to see if, over time, these new, relatively cheap craft, become an issue to other watercraft.

Although I dislike jet skis (mainly because of the noise)I mentioned in my first post; at least they have all-round visibility to have control over their interaction with other craft even in the hands of beginners.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

One of the things I like about kayaking is, even when things get lively, it’s mostly quiet. You can capsize and get near to death experience but it won’t be noisy.
The predominant thing about the VG is the constant noise of a highly tuned boat. I’m watching a couple of competitors on their daily feeds and I’m getting the feeling that it’s the thing that wears them down most.

I live close to the ocean. Our house was built 70 years ago and still have all the original tiles I think. They are heavy concrete items that only rattle when we get a severe gale and the wind is at a perfect right angle to the eaves. It creates a local low-pressure that raises one tile that raise the next and so on. It sounds like the whole roof is now in your back garden. We have been here twenty years but I still get nervous when the wind is directly from the south. We call it a ‘bad tile day’ just to make light of it.

scotty

Post by scotty »

Beryl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:05 pm
At the speed they travel I would hope for more than a ‘reasonable view’. They are learning in the estuaries which tend to crowded? Anyways, it will be interesting to see if, over time, these new, relatively cheap craft, become an issue to other watercraft.

Although I dislike jet skis (mainly because of the noise)I mentioned in my first post; at least they have all-round visibility to have control over their interaction with other craft even in the hands of beginners.
I think you might be overestimating the intelligence of the jet ski pilot.

rhysie

Post by rhysie »

I'm yet to meet a jet skier that isn't a wanker. He was probably too busy uploading a selfie video of himself to Tiktok to see the stonking big ferry in front of him.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

rhysie wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 am
I'm yet to meet a jet skier that isn't a wanker. He was probably too busy uploading a selfie video of himself to Tiktok to see the stonking big ferry in front of him.
They do tend to loud, boastful and overweight, but we have to live with them...

ChrisJK

Post by ChrisJK »

I must look up the Vendee globe but there was that at once romantic and total idiot incident of the guy who knew nothing but fell for a maid in the Isle of man so he bought a jet ski and set off from Cumbria thinking the journey would take him 40 minutes when it actually took him 4 hrs he then walked 15 miles across IOM to meet up with the aforementioned maid.
He finally got rumbled in a night club and then spent 4 weeks in jail for breaching IOM Covid quarantine

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

They are approaching the Horn now and the weather/sea state is starting to wear down their boats. Of the two I follow; one has a ripped mainsail today and the other has lost her wind speed/direction tech gubbins and is having to sail by the ‘seat of her pants’
Their daily reports are obviously part of their contracts. I wonder how much of a chore the PR is compared to say F1 drivers who make plain it’s a downside of their job?

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L »

The Vendee Globe is on the open ocean. The Americas Cup is held on enclosed waters (Auckland Harbour, New Zealand) and supposedly at up to 50 knots for something the size of a house. Fortunately our kayaking is in the south, 1200 km away.

Yesterday, blowing hard, almost, almost 5 knots and a big sea running near half a hand high (50 mm ?) !!!! I was paddling with 3 others who were last paddling with me in Samoa, just about exactly a year ago.

MartinG

Post by MartinG »

I've just finished reading The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier. There is no way he would have sent daily reports. It's a great book, anyone who devotes a chapter to feeding birds, and sticks all the technical stuff in an appendix has the balance right. He highly recommends a book by Alan Watts called Instant Weather Forecasting. I've just ordered it.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

After a couple of months and a bit, about six boats are neck to neck after going most of the way around the world. It may have been the weather but one has to say maybe the boats are just so good now that the oceans are not as dangerous as they once were?

The Atlantic is not a pussy of course but the competitors I’ve watched all seem to feel the worst is behind them.

al27

Post by al27 »

the boats are just so good now that the oceans are not as dangerous as they once were?
A sentiment around in the years leading up to the Fastnet disaster (40 years ago) and the Sydney Hobart (20 years ago)....

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I would say the oceans are more dangerous for the current crop of boats. They are much lighter, and less able to take an impact with the debris that's floating about. As has always been the case, racing boats are designed to a risk level; as materials get better, they become lighter, not stronger. There are still lots of new ideas, not all of which work when tested for real.