Replacing lost skeg

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Robert Craig

Replacing lost skeg

Post by Robert Craig »

The skeg on my No 2 kayak has dropped out, and is now somewhere at the bottom of Loch Sunart. So I need to source or make a replacement.

The kayak was manufactured without a skeg ( and is an 'orribe paddle without the skeg). Sometime between 1998 and 2002 I bought a skeg kit and fitted it - but I can't remember from whom I bought the kit. Here's a picture of it deployed (i apologise for the rather macabre skull), and a sketch of what I think it looked like.

Anyone recognise the make?

If I want to make a new one, what material do I want, and what thickness?

Any other ideas of what to do?

PlymouthDamo

Re: Replacing lost skeg

Post by PlymouthDamo »

The photo (but not your diagram) looks like the retro fit kit being sold by Southern Sea Kayaks. However, it seems horrifically expensive:

https://www.sseak.co.uk/product/retro-fit-skeg-kit/

I'd suggest you download the Shrike build manual for free and go to the section where it describes how to build the skeg out of plywood. You'd need to cut it to a different size/shape, but that shouldn't be too difficult to work out - just keep experimenting with bits of cardboard until you've got a shape which fits, and then use that as a template. You might even be able to scale up the photo of the skeg in the link above to make your template.

Aled

Post by Aled »

I think it's a Valley skeg...

heybaz

Post by heybaz »

I have made a replacement skeg using a nylon (or whatever it is they are made from) breadboard.

Cut the board to shape, sand a bit of a profile onto the leading / trailing edges and attached the cable by drilling intersecting holes, one for the cable to lead into and a second, perpendicular to the first, to use as an anchoring hole (this is the hole seen end-on in your sketch). Push the cable down into the through the first hole then fray the cable end out before burying it in Araldite in the "anchoring" hole. Cut the cable to length at the control end. Job done - and the breadboard only cost a fiver with plenty left over to use as a camp site chopping board.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Chopping board is a good option, but measure your slot and prospective boards they can be quite thick.

SJD

Post by SJD »

Aled beat me to it, I too was going to suggest a Valley skeg. Starboard marine plastic (HDPE) is another option for fabrication.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

Thanks, folks.

Any idea what the material thickness should be? IIRC it was thinner than my kitchen chopping board

heybaz

Post by heybaz »

I just measured the skeg on my wife's Valley Aquanaut at 4.5mm thickness.

The remnants of the breadboard I used (not for the Aquanaut but a Current Designs Sirroco) for my cheap & cheerful replacement is 5 mm thick...

Jim is quite right - measure up first and hope that your breadboard isn't as thick as I can often be ; )

Barry

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig »

With assistance from the ever-helpful Ann at Karitek, I found that Sea Kayak Oban had a Valley skeg in stock. Ordered it, and fitted it this morning - perfect fit.

Thanks to all.

It's 6 mm think, by the way

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper »

Saw this thread too late, but I can supply engineering plastics to any dimensions you require. HDPE or a vast array of alternative plastics determined by application in almost any thickness, we can plane to size, cut, bend, weld and cnc router your material to your requirements.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

Ooh. That's interesting. Do you have a website or something?

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper »

Sean_soup wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:02 pm
Ooh. That's interesting. Do you have a website or something?

Visit aiplastics.com , if you need any guidance e-mail newport@aiplastics.com or telephone 01633 271003.

Don't order through the webshop or go by those prices as we can price it better if you contact us direct.

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup »

Thanks, handy to know. I'll file that away for future reference. :-)