older valley skeg cable repair/upgrade

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
carpel21

older valley skeg cable repair/upgrade

Post by carpel21 »

Took my boat (valley aquanaut circa ~07) out for a paddle around calshot today. After a spot of lunch at the beach cafe I launched back to find the skeg jammed with rocks and bent the cable. It measures 3mm on the Vernier but the casing has room for 4mm. Am I asking for more problems to beef it up a little? Also I find myself knocking my thumb on the skeg slider a lot (mushroom shaped). I see the newer models have a lower profile button. Had anybody tried replacing this with the newer design? I think the newer slider has a thicker, hollow running bar but I could probably fabricate a work around without drilling any new holes in the hull.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this before me and thinks it's not worth the hassle?

Chris Bolton

Re: older valley skeg cable repair/upgrade

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'm not familiar with the cable route on Valley skegs, but if there are any bends, 4mm wire is much stiffer than 3mm and will create a lot of friction on the casing as it's forced round.

carpel21

Post by carpel21 »

It has 1 turn above the skeg box with a radius similar to a football. Without the pebbles it had little resistance, although the more I consider it, the more I think to just stick to what's there already. The skeg could retract from grounding as is but possibly not with a thicker cable. I may attempt to shave down and reshape the mushroom though to a lower profile as it has enough clearance above the grub screw, and if it doesn't work replacments are cheap.

SJD

Post by SJD »

3mm is the standard original diameter size. In case you need them, here is a link to replacement instructions.

https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/vall ... 011-models

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Not all wire is created equal. If you've not seen it yet, this article on fixing skegs may help. Use furniture polish on the cable - and hose the conduit out to clear any sand. Adapting the slider should be easy enough.