Replacement hatch covers

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
wurly

Replacement hatch covers

Post by wurly »

I need a replacement front hatch cover for my P@H Cetus.
The one that i nearly lost came loose on the roof of my car. Luckily i saw it fall so i retrived it. The cord hole is now ripped but for the time being, i can still use it.

It appears there are several types made by kayaksport but on their website info is a bit lacking.
They list
KS original rubber covers (Like the one that popped off.....dont really want one of them again)
KS Click-On Covers
KS LRC
KS LRC-HT

Whats the difference? And which one replacement should i get?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

MikeB

Re: Replacement hatch covers

Post by MikeB »

Just choose your preference. Personally, I like the feel and structure of the originals and the click-ons. The LRC seems to be a new addition - light and floats! https://kajaksport.fi/products/hatches/ ... ch-20-lrc/

wurly

Post by wurly »

Your reply has prompted me look again. For some reason i couldnt see the information on their website.
Ok i now see the difference.
I think my Cetus has different hatch covers that may have been replaced at some time. I can see how easy it is to loose them :0)
The two smaller ones seem to be lrc-ht , rear could be lrc, front is definately rubber. I guess larger ones need to 'give' a little to make them easier to close.

I'll get an LRC replacement for the front.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Both my TideRace boats have had the "clip on" type for all three hatches, inc the large front and rear and I find them very easy to use. My wife's P&H Quest has the ordinary, flexible ones, and they're actually harder to get on. Definitely tie them on.

Chas C

Post by Chas C »

As MikeB mentions - tie them on mine don't float but lucky I found out in 10' clear water with sandy bottom so was able to retrieve the lost one.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

The click on covers have a stiffer top section and are more usually used for the smaller day hatches. The stiffer material makes them prone to snapping and some just don’t seem to seal well. Mine has just snapped but I replaced it with the same type as the day hatch cover gets a lot of abuse and mine sealed fine. However, I much prefer the original soft rubber covers for the larger front round and rear oval hatches as they are easier to fit and have remained watertight for years.