NDK Seat Glued In Are they Prone to Breaking Loose

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

NDK Seat Glued In Are they Prone to Breaking Loose

Post by kayakbiker »

Has anyone had the misfortune to suffer a seat breaking loose in their NDK kayak. If so how did you fix it. Has anyone actually tried to bolt a new seat from NDK into an NDK boat especially a Romany

The reason I ask is because my friend is planning to upgrade their current uncomfortable glass seat in their Romany to a new seat but it requires gluing it in as per the instructions from NDK
We are not convinced that glue is going to be very reliable but would be interested to hear from other NDK owners regards their experiences and any specific advice we should maybe consider when planning this upgrade.
We are also thinking if we glue it in and it comes loose on an expedition then that would be a nightmare so perhaps it would be better to bolt it in if possible.

Thank you for your advice

Jim

Re: NDK Seat Glued In Are they Prone to Breaking Loose

Post by Jim »

What glue do NDK say to use, and does the seat have a flange all round for gluing in rather than just a few discrete points of contact?

If designed right and with the right kind of glue it shouldn't come out on a trip.

Pretty sure my Taran seat is glued only, but is well designed to work as a glued seat.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Jim thanks for your reply.
We were advised to use West system marine expoxy.
There are only two discrete points of contact. Two 7 inch by 1 brackets on either side of the seat..
The difficulty is trying to get the epoxy on the brackets and then putting the seat in without getting glue everywhere but where we want it
There is a video showing this being done but that seat looks to be much more flexible than the seat my friend has been supplied with from NDK
Looks easy in the video but in reality its not at all.
Starting to wish we had left the original seat in!

Thanks again

RickC

Post by RickC »

Hi Kayakbiker

Retro-fitting the new high-performance seat is a bit fiddly but it will be worth it. It's way better for the posture. The factory use a Methacrylate glue (ITW Plexus MA30) but there are other methacrylate glues on the market. EasyComposites sell one (VM100) which works equally well.

Do a non-sticky dry run and get the seat in the right position, mark up and do all the prep. Methacrylate glue doesn't give you a second chance and once it's applied, the seat needs not to move until it's set. Top tip - make sure you put the foam wedges and pads in place too. These provide additional support and shock-absorbing for the seat.

There is a more detailed description here https://seakayakinguk.com/sea-kayaks/to ... mance-seat or if you're really struggling with DIY, pop into your local NDK/Sea Kayaking UK dealer and they'll be able to do it for you. It is a tricky little job to get exactly right - the guys at the factory make it look so easy but I still sometimes struggle and curse a bit!

Once fitted, the seat will be rock-solid and you'll be good to go. This method of seat installation has been used for all the composite NDKs since 2009 and bracket detachment is extremely rare. Our kayaks are used for some pretty extreme paddling and to date, I've not had a seat bracket failure.

Best of luck, Rick. British Sea Kayaks, Westcountry dealer for NDK/Sea Kayaking UK

Jim

Post by Jim »

7x1" brackets with epoxy should be fine, I have designed lift points for 3 tonne powerboats epoxied in with around 6x6" pads, albeit with a very specific high strength and high temperature epoxy adhesive with a complex preparation procedure (necessary to bond stainless steel fittings to epoxy composite), your seat flanges won't see anywhere near the same loads.

I would however agree with RickC that a methacrylate glue would probably be best for this if just bonding flanges to the hull, it will be stronger than epoxy in a thin layer. If you have a gap to make up with glue, a thickened epoxy would perform better.

If the flanges are only at the side and not along the front or back definitely make sure the seat is well packed to prevent moving side to side - but that is important with a bolted seat too. There are so many different ways to make seats that without seeing it, it is difficult to know if extra strips of kevlar with epoxy would be useful, reading the text in Ricks link I'm guessing not.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Jim, Rick
Thanks very much for your advice and guidance. Very much appreciated
The seat is now in the boat and seems to be rock solid.
Thank You!

muddy_duck

Post by muddy_duck »