Palm buoyancy aid

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
jackp

Palm buoyancy aid

Post by jackp »

Just been out for an early morning paddle and thought I’d try this new palm ba which I bought for when a beginner kayak friend comes out.anyway I had checked the sizes before buying and tried it on when it arrived and seemed ok
When I got going though it became more apparent the thing is such a bad fit and can’t take it back now as its used .
It does fit tightly enough but movement is restricted too much
Has anyone had similar problems with them ?
I should have just bought another 70N crewsaver one which is far better bit

Franky

Re: Palm buoyancy aid

Post by Franky »

What is the model of the BA? I once bought a Palm Amp. I tried it on in the shop, but when I got home and put it on again I decided it was too uncomfortable. There was excessive pressure on the abdomen, and the foam felt very rigid, almost like cardboard.

Fortunately I hadn't worn it on water, so I exchanged it for a Peak River Guide. That had much more "give" in it, and I've worn Peak BAs ever since.

jackp

Post by jackp »

It is a cheaper version called the quest but well reviewed online but maybe those people don’t wear them tight enough or hardly go far at all in them ?
Some bits on it look do similar to yours so this figures

Franky

Post by Franky »

The Quest actually looks quite different from the Amp. The Amp is a white water BA. The Quest is a flat water/sea BA. It doesn't look anywhere near as bulky as the Amp. You should be able to adjust the tightness using the straps on the side, though I assume you've already tried that. It could be that you need a larger size BA, or it could be that all Palm BAs use the firm foam that some paddlers find uncomfortable. Lots of people swear by Palm, so it's obviously a personal thing.

jackp

Post by jackp »

Hi yes definitely bought the correct size according to there size chart on there website..as you say they are bit like wearing cardboard and i don’t known why anyone would design a ba like that

Jim

Post by Jim »

Because it is cheap. If you want better cut or more flexible foam you have to pay more.