Is there anybody out there ?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
RichardP

Is there anybody out there ?

Post by RichardP »

Hi All

During these times of lockdown I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share how they are keeping themselves busy with regards to Kayak related pastimes.

Some of us have been lucky enough to be close to the water and taking exercise & isolate on the sea.

Anyone want to share tips or ideas on what projects they are dabbling in? It might give some ideas to many out there
I am Land locked, so I have just finished my first attempt of a Greenland Paddle & fitted some rescue handles to the lines of my Kayak. probably servicing my equipment next.

Lets look forward to some good Gatherings later in the year.

Stay well Paddlers

Richard

pathbrae

Re: Is there anybody out there ?

Post by pathbrae »

In November 2013 I bought a new length of wire for the skeg of my Island Expedition. Last week I finaly fitted it..... It's only taken the best part of 6 1/2 years!
I'm sure a lot of us still have a backlog of jobs waiting to be done, just maybe not as put off as that one.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Hi Pathbrae

Qne more off of the " To do" list
6 & a half years Planning probably got the job done quicker !

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

I think we need to relax the rules a little bit. Restrictions put in place to reduce infections really must be justified in terms of a specific impact on a specific transmission mode, or modes.

Travel is not a transmission mode (except for public transport, obviously). That seems like a valve we can open, at least half-way, to relieve the pressure.

Provided you're careful to avoid people (no shops eg) and careful to avoid touching any shared public surfaces like gates, stiles, benches etc then it is possible to access the outdoors safely. Out on the water is perhaps the safest possible place to be in terms of being exposed to the virus or exposing other people to it.

Some honeypot locations can attract a lot of visitors. If a place is starting to get too busy, you'd have to be prepared to go somewhere else or go home.

The great outdoors is one of few recreation opportunities left to us. The benefits shouldn't be underestimated. It's good for our mental health to do something positive, to get out and have some fun instead of feeling trapped inside with the walls closing in while death stalks the land. Sunshine & exercise help maintain a healthy immune system. One day our lives might depend on that.
Have fun and don't die.

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

mcgruff wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:15 am
I think we need to relax the rules a little bit. Restrictions put in place to reduce infections really must be justified in terms of a specific impact on a specific transmission mode, or modes.

Travel is not a transmission mode (except for public transport, obviously). That seems like a valve we can open, at least half-way, to relieve the pressure.

Provided you're careful to avoid people (no shops eg) and careful to avoid touching any shared public surfaces like gates, stiles, benches etc then it is possible to access the outdoors safely. Out on the water is perhaps the safest possible place to be in terms of being exposed to the virus or exposing other people to it.

Some honeypot locations can attract a lot of visitors. If a place is starting to get too busy, you'd have to be prepared to go somewhere else or go home.

The great outdoors is one of few recreation opportunities left to us. The benefits shouldn't be underestimated. It's good for our mental health to do something positive, to get out and have some fun instead of feeling trapped inside with the walls closing in while death stalks the land. Sunshine & exercise help maintain a healthy immune system. One day our lives might depend on that.
I saw somewhere that "reasonable" travel to exercise should not* be considered an infringement - but what is reasonable? As son as you allow people to use their common sense you'll get a range of answers - and some in that range will be acceptable. The other factor is the increased risk of road traffic collisions (compared to no travel to exercise) - do you really want to be scooped up off the roadside by a crew who have been exposed to cv and put into an ambulance whose last patient had Covid-19??

Avoid touching surfaces like gates, stiles and benches? Sounds like going for a walk in the country should be off limits .... although I'm told that it is difficult to get enough cv onto a rough surface to infect you when you touch it even if you take 100% off (which is difficult as it is rough).

Apart from that I fully agree - being out of the water is one of the safest places to be and I'm frustrated at the urging from BC to avoid water (where I live my reasonable traveling distance is to a CRT canal which has been closed to recreational water users.)

But I do live in an isolated valley, our local pub is now open as a shop - sells take away beer so not all doom and gloom - and I can go for walks. I don't take my phone with me so they can't track me!

Don't stay home - at least go walking - or get the bike out and peddle.

* Moderator edit, inserted 'not' as I think that's what you meant
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

The risk of breaking down or having an accident is pretty small. Could create a 50mph limit for the duration to reduce the latter (should really have been done already). Personally I think the benefits outweigh the risks.

Any shared public surface could transmit the virus. After a day or so any danger will probably have gone but you'll never know if anyone has recently passed the same way.

You could bring some gloves to open gates but they'd have to be guaranteed uncontaminated to protect other people and they'd have to be bagged up safely, immediately after use, to protect yourself.

If we can figure out ways to access the great outdoors safely it would be a huge help. I'm definitely not arguing against strict isolation though. This is very important, along with extensive testing & contact tracing.
Have fun and don't die.

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

House has been neglected for twenty years so spending some time on that. Having a wooden kayak is a bonus. Repainted the hull and striped and revarnished the deck. House gets first dibs then a couple of hours on kayak related stuff is done with a clear conscience. Built a paddle float out of an old BA and the leg of a dry suit. Just finished a storm paddle from an off cut of yellow pine picked up for a fiver.

Growing old disgracefully

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Love that Paddle
short and sweet

JeromeWhitehorse

Post by JeromeWhitehorse »

No group activities anymore here in Holland but individual trips are still allowed. So I did some solo paddling with the beautiful weather of last days:

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Glad you are making the most of it Jerome

Remind me how you post photos on here ?

JeromeWhitehorse

There is an announcement on top of this forum with instructions: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128392
Use the "full editor and preview" option for adding images and urls

jackp

Post by jackp »

Hey guys.
Yes after some thinking about it Ive been out in the boat a lot over the last week and weather has been very good for a change
It’s if its bit busy though at launching spot though then I turn around and find another spot or go home and of course normal social distancing rules still apply
I’ve only been on inshore waters which I’m very familiar with so overall risk very low .

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL »

JeromeWhitehorse wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:25 pm
No group activities anymore here in Holland but individual trips are still allowed. So I did some solo paddling with the beautiful weather of last days:
Jerome, was it Hooft you visited?
JB
--==Never go faster than your Angel can fly==--

JeromeWhitehorse

Yes, you're right! I am paddling from Almere Haven. And you?

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL »

Depands on where I drop my kayak in the water😎
And time of the year
This time of year mainly Markermeer and Ijsselmeer.
Last Friday from Wijdenes to Marker Wadden v.v.
JB
Last edited by JB-NL on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff »

NPCC just published some advice about lock down restrictions. It's OK to drive to a location to take exercise there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
Have fun and don't die.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

With regard to staying safe in the great outdoors. Just carry gloves and sanitiser when you go out. If you need to open gates sanitise straight after.
Part of my job involves waste disposal. Its bad enough anytime of the year picking up whats been tipped but even worse at this moment in time.
Still someone has to pick it all up so i just use gloves and sanitiser. In my case i use isopropryl alcohol straight onto nitrile gloves to decontaminate. I also carry a mask just in case. I hopefully wont breakdown or have an accident but at least with a mask I like to think I've afforded some protection to myself and others

This virus is likely to be around for a while so we just need to be careful and considerate when we go out.

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL »

kayakbiker wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:48 pm
With regard to staying safe in the great outdoors. Just carry gloves and sanitiser when you go out. If you need to open gates sanitise straight after.
Part of my job involves waste disposal. Its bad enough anytime of the year picking up whats been tipped but even worse at this moment in time.
Still someone has to pick it all up so i just use gloves and sanitiser. In my case i use isopropryl alcohol straight onto nitrile gloves to decontaminate. I also carry a mask just in case. I hopefully wont breakdown or have an accident but at least with a mask I like to think I've afforded some protection to myself and others

This virus is likely to be around for a while so we just need to be careful and considerate when we go out.
Well, in the great outdoors the chance of getting contaminated is much smaller then at home..;)

JB

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr »

This is the advice I will be following, for now..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-52356088

Regards

Phil

Franckster

Post by Franckster »

I've been wondering whether it's legal and ethical to go out kayaking over the past few weeks. Common sense says it should be, but I noted recently that the RNLI have stated that such activity is not a necessity and that exercise can be taken in other ways like going for a walk or a run. Having been called out to kayakers in distress during the lockdown they state that it is unfair on lifeboat crews to cause them to launch and be in close proximity to each other and to the casualty when rescued. Fair point I guess...

Jonny Hightower

Post by Jonny Hightower »

I'm staying off the water at the moment. Since my kayaks have been stored outside on a home-made rack until now, I spent the long Easter weekend converting the shed I built at the side of my house into a kayak store. I've posted before and after photos below. By the time I thought to take a "before" photo, I'd already removed most of the shelving units and their contents. Thought the painting was going to take forever!

Before:

After:

The J bars I'm using are excellent. Two pairs of these:
www.amazon.co.uk/BEST-Marine-Outdoors-A ... B0747PY8FH

When I bought the first one they were £53. A week later when I ordered the second they were £58, and now I see they are £59! They are well made and nicely finished though.

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

I Love those J Bars Jonny

I Have been thinking of a new place in my garden to hide the Kayak too. ( Not that I want too ) Maybe next project

Keep up the good work

Richard

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

This is my lockdown Greenland paddle Tester . When I get round to testing it on the water I will then play around with the finish.
Just has a few coats of Linseed oil at moment. Found some Tulip wood

Richard

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Other items.

1. Rescue handle, Tick
2. Roof rack Assist roller for the rear screen when loading kayak, FAIL. For some reason the plastic/ resin sucker just exploded. I need to re think and look for a metal base. Rest of it worked perfect

Any ideas ?

Richard

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

For some reason the plastic/ resin sucker just exploded.
I'm trying to work out what it looked like before it exploded, but it doesn't look as if it could ever have worked. The leverage on the plastic bracket would be enormous. My roller is on the back of the rear roof bar, fixed in T slots (it's a Thule Probar).

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Hi Chris

it worked a treat. It had the same mirror image sucker on the other side of the bar. It was a double sucker that I manged to thread the tube through the whole handle. These I just think the sucker had been sitting around my shed too long and it has become brittle :)
I thought about fixing roller to the roof bar, but my rear spoiler gets in the way.
Ill let you know what the new edition looks like

Richard

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Hi Richard,
It had the same mirror image sucker on the other side of the bar.
Ah, I did wonder if it had. In that case you're probably right, brittle plastic.

Lots of good ideas spoilt by spoilers; the one on my car stops the boot opening fully if I have a boat on. I know a few people who just put a blanket on the spoiler and slide the boat, but that would worry me.

RichardP

Post by RichardP »

Chris Bolton wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 pm
the one on my car stops the boot opening fully if I have a boat on. I know a few people who just put a blanket on the spoiler and slide the boat, but that would worry me.
That's Me as well. Tail gate half up and have used the towel to slide over the spoiler for a while now. Does take some careful positioning.

Hopefully when we all start getting back on the water I will have a Plan :)

Jonny Hightower

Post by Jonny Hightower »

I used to use a cheap doormat I bought from B&M Bargains or Home Bargains to slide the kayak up over the spoiler of my last car. The mat was also handy to place on the roof while I threaded the straps, to stop the metal clasps chipping the paint. After driving off on two separate occasions with a mat on the roof (and losing both) I decided to change tack. The spoiler on my current car sticks out a little further than the last one, and I don't want to risk the weight on it. I bought a kayak roller similar to the one in your photo Richard (www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HB4I1VS) earlier this year, but between the storms and the lockdown I haven't had a chance to use it yet! I did go out on some local rivers in the Katana a few times, but didn't need the roller for that.