Deckbag and a simple BA?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Beryl

Deckbag and a simple BA?

Post by Beryl »

Bit cheesed off with the price of BA’s that have enough pockets. Then, when you have filled them up they apparently make climbing back onboard quite difficult. I’d like to keep a whistle and my PLB on my person at all times but the rest can go in a deck bag I’m thinking. Haven’t tried one yet so looking for some guidance....
Thanks.
Growing old disgracefully

Mrstratos61

Re: Deckbag and a simple BA?

Post by Mrstratos61 »

I use astral sea wolf. Only problem I foresee with deckbag is separation from boat.Though plb counters that.

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

That is exactly my way of thinking Beryl.
I used to have a Palm Kaikoura pfd but I would liken that to being a para trooper on a combat jump.
I now use a resurrected Northsore deck bag with an Astral Willis BA.

VHF and plb go in the BA, flasks of soup, coffee and goodies go in the deck bag.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

My Palm Kaikoura PFD has now seen 6 years active service and is just about to be replaced with ............. another Palm Kaikoura. I totally love it but I agree that there is a great temptation to fill every pocket with trinkets plus a kg or so of drinking water in the rear bladder pocket, which all makes climbing back on board a bit more difficult than it would be without it. A little self discipline solves the pocket stuffing problem but I would still prefer to keep certain items on me at all times so I want a well designed PFD with pockets.

I wouldn't want to be separated from .......... My boat and paddle obviously! - but if the worst happened

My list for defo keeping on the person at all times is:

PLB
Whistle
VHF
Emergency food (I'm type 1 diabetic)
GPS (or wear a GPS watch with Lat/Long and GB grid ref on it)

What's yours?

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae »

My list for defo keeping on the person at all times is:

PLB
Whistle
VHF
Emergency food (I'm type 1 diabetic)
GPS (or wear a GPS watch with Lat/Long and GB grid ref on it)

What's yours?
PLB
VHF
Whistle
Knife
Strobe
Bright yellow Reed skull cap (in case I end up bobbing about...)

And in the pockets of my dry suit

GPS
Waterproof emergency phone
So much sea - so little time to see it.

amurphai

Post by amurphai »

I always have VHF, whistle, spare non-smart phone (in waterproof case), knife plus water bladder in back pocket. At one point I also carried a handheld day/night flare but have found that the metal 'pull tag' bits of these degrade quickly as they are generally sat in a puddle of water in my lap. No room for a PLB! This is especially a problem if you are a relatively smaller person - my torso is shorter/narrower than a bigger persons would be so less room for 'stuff' which of course includes the PFD itself. Am thinking of a moving to an electronic flare now and hoping to squeeze this into the back pocket on the end of some cord. I feel more comfortable having all this safety stuff on me - not the boat - for all the reasons mentioned. But agree its awkward especially when trying to get back into the boat.

Nick Gates

Post by Nick Gates »

I made my own deck bag from some acrylic. About 12" long, 10" wide, velcro flap. A stainless steel eyelet in each corner for a short length of line.
Water bottle goes on the left, tow line on the right, with both ends sticking out and clipped on.
Snacks go in the middle.

It took me just over an hour to make on the house sewing machine. The acrylic came from the local cover makers bin. Total cost about a pound for they eyelets.

I might make another with two layers, to separate the tow line.
There is a supplier in eBay, somewhere in Scotland who does one for twenty quid or so.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

If you lose the boat on a solo trip, say you are swimming ashore onto the rocks in breaking waves, having decided to land on a less than ideal bit of an unihabited Scottish isle rather than continue to even more dubious shores with a rising sea and the towline releases itself from your waist or unacountably comes unclipped.... If it is not in your BA pockets you have not got it.

I've made landings like that, so far never lost the boat, it has always obediently come to shore on the line, but it could happen. I always have enough, VHF, phone, PLB, knife, food, means of making fire, compass, balaclava, first aid etc in my pockets for a medium comfortable wait.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

You might consider one of these https://northwater.com/products/underdeck-bag.

Mine is the perfect size for me and doesn’t get in my way despite my long legs (Im 6ft 2)
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Jonathan. wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Mine is the perfect size for me and doesn’t get in my way despite my long legs (Im 6ft 2)

Interesting but I’m leery about having any sort of structure taking up that part of the cockpit. I keep an emergency paddle to one side and a five litre drybag beyond the foot-pegs but don’t like the idea of my legs being channeled. Neat though.o

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

Works for me - in fact, I wouldn’t be without mine. But I appreciate it’s all a matter of individual judgment.

Something else that might do the trick and has just become available is https://www.whetmanequipment.com/store/ ... tcher.html
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

SJD

Post by SJD »

With deck bags there are a few things to consider. First, which type? Mesh, some form of nylon but not waterproof, or a waterproof version. Second is size and is based on carry requirements. There are smallish ones that only hold a pair of glasses or small snack all the way up to ones that are the size of a small backpack. Lastly, shape is another thing to consider. Some bags are nearly flat and rectangular, others are large and rectangular, and some are wedge shaped. I have found for my purposes a wedge shaped, medium sized waterproof deck bag to be the most versatile. I am sure I have forgotten some other elements. I currently have a Seattle Sports Deluxe deck bag. However, mine is no longer made and differs considerably from the most recent version. Watershed makes a model that looks interesting.

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

Hiya.

I have a range of PFDs for different boats and paddling. I recently chose to take my NRS ION on my circumnavigation of Ireland. It’s very small and lightweight with a large pocket which one can cram stuff (the essentials).
I actually really like deckbags and use them a lot, especially on expeditions and open water trips. I wouldn’t use one in rough water or really windy conditions.
I really think that Sea Kayakers get carried away with gear and a lot of PFDs are just too big and bulky.
The Astral Sea Wolf and NRS Zen are amazing for more carry capacity but still streamline.

overfallpaddler

Post by overfallpaddler »

Dont get a floppy deckbag. They are annoying. Check out the ones which hold their shape

Jim

Post by Jim »

Beryl wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Jonathan. wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Interesting but I’m leery about having any sort of structure taking up that part of the cockpit. I keep an emergency paddle to one side and a five litre drybag beyond the foot-pegs but don’t like the idea of my legs being channeled. Neat though.o
This will completely depend on the design of the kayak and how you fit into it.

I haven't responded before because since I got my Taran with built in deck pod (which is a solid structure that comes down in between my knees, but is a long way from ever fouling entry and exit) I haven't used a deck bag, or had much stuff on deck at all. The only reasons I use a BA with pockets (Astral Sea Wolf) at all are that my racing BAs don't have a rear pocket for a hydration pouch and I do like to keep a whistle and my VHF on me at sea so some kind of front pocket is helpful too - I never fill the pocket though, it is much bigger than I absolutely need.

I am not sure I would want a bag hanging under the deck (what if you knock a clip or the adhesive fails?) but I would suggest that for your next kayak look at models with a deck pod and see if they suit you getting in and out of the boat.

I remember in the old days people would laminate a tube (plastic pipe with screw on end cap) under the deck between their knees for extra storage, possibly you could even buy a boat with one fitted, but they seem to have disappeared from the scene a while ago? Deck pod with external hatch seems like a better version of that (access without removing spraydeck).

SJD

Post by SJD »

For BAs Astral has a couple low profile, minimal pocket models. The Surf ski genre also may be a place to look, Mocke comes to mind. Some Surf ski vests are not national certified if that matters to you.

Howard Jeffs

Post by Howard Jeffs »

I sell a deckbag here:

https://www.howardjeffs.com/expedition-essentials/

Happy Paddling

Howard

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Well, I asked the question, so here finally is my reply...

The deck bag is an old fishing bum bag from a good quality American angling firm, Fishpond. It can be simply unclipped and worn as such.

The life jacket is so unobtrusive compared to any BA I’ve tried. That said I’m sticking to my Peak Explorer until the weather cheers up; all that obtrusive foam is rather warm....

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney »

If you can get them in the UK, the Vaikobi PFDs have taken over the world in Australia. Light, minimalist but with sufficient pockets for a VHF and sensible safety kit, and high vis.
If you turn up to an ocean race here with 200 competitors, there will be 180 Vaikobi PFDs, and that’s a vote from people who want their PFD to be compliant but minimal.