Rescue Me PLB1 Antenna lubrication ?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Daker

Rescue Me PLB1 Antenna lubrication ?

Post by Daker »

Just curious if anyone has bothered to add any kind of lubrication or protectant to the retractable antenna on their Rescue Me PLB1 ?

Mine is usually carried in a zip-lock bag but accidentally got rinsed at the weekend and its fairly obvious that a few drops of water can get into the antenna housing as it isn't sealed.

Pulling out the antenna and letting it sit in the warmth seems to have done the trick but got me wondering if a touch of light lube would be a good idea or likely to just attract dirt.

Also, they are pretty stiff to pull out so a wee bit of lube may help for that time when swimming in the cold and genuinely needing to deploy it ! :-O

andynormancx

Re: Rescue Me PLB1 Antenna lubrication ?

Post by andynormancx »

Mine lives in my BA pocket, without any extra protection. It gets regular dunks in sea water.

I give it a good soak in fresh water after any sea water dunk. I pull the antenna out occasional to check it, there are no signs yet (after ~2 years) of it getting any harder to deploy.

blueythe

Post by blueythe »

Hi Daker, I never keep my RescueMe PLB in any bag, I just tether it to one of the pockets of my PFD. However, I religiously rinse it in fresh water after a trip and extend the antenna to dry in a warm room. few months ago I found the wind in antenna was becoming stiff so I gave the wind in and antenna quick blast of WD40. I then wound it in and out a few times and wiped off the excess and its never been an issue since. Thanks for raising this issue as I think it is important to check the antenna before each trip and not sure many people do it

Daker

Post by Daker »

blueythe wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm
antenna was becoming stiff so I gave the wind in and antenna quick blast of WD40. I then wound it in and out a few times and wiped off the excess and its never been an issue since.
Thanks, exactly the sort of infrequent maintenance I was thinking of.
Last thing any of us want it to have to use it for real and the antenna has disintegrated or wont come out.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 »

blueythe wrote:
I religiously rinse it in fresh water after a trip and extend the antenna to dry in a warm room. few months ago I found the wind in antenna was becoming stiff so I gave the wind in and antenna quick blast of WD40. I then wound it in and out a few times and wiped off the excess and its never been an issue since. Thanks for raising this issue as I think it is important to check the antenna before each trip and not sure many people do it
Very good tip that, I too only ever keep my RescueMe PLB1 in the sleeve pocket of my dry suit or in a PFB pocket in the summer and not in a dry bag of any sort. I have occasionally given it a rinse with fresh water but do not routinely check the antenna winder. I will certainly take blueythe's advice and check the operation before I next venture out.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx »

blueythe wrote:
Thanks for raising this issue as I think it is important to check the antenna before each trip and not sure many people do it
I'm not sure unwinding the antenna before every trip is a good plan. Mine already has a small crease in it from some clumsy unwinding, I don't think it is really designed for frequent unwinding/winding.