Logos and livery

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
charleston14

Logos and livery

Post by charleston14 »

Folks, what do you think about us building up a record on here, of the logos and graphics used on sea kayaks, this would help people repairing and restoring especially older boats that may want to recreate the original logos. There are companies that can tidy up and reproduce stick on vinyl graphics from images sent to them.

In some cases the original manufacturer no longer exists or the company that made the graphics no longer exist.

Speaking to valley, they suggested sending logo images to a printing company to reproduce graphics on old boats. What they are not at all keen on is putting modern logos on old boats.

If this somehow violates copyright that may put a spanner in the works, but as I see it, sharing images of graphics doesn’t violate copyright, making a copy might, but surely not if you’re only replacing what was original on the boat.

pathbrae

Re: Logos and livery

Post by pathbrae »

Sounds like an excellent idea. Possibly a page in the Almanac could be used to keep links to photographs of all our classic boat logos before they fade away?
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

I'm sure that photos of logos on the boats wouldn't break copyright, but geometrically correct reproducible graphics might.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I think in the pursuit of restoration, if the original manufacturer still exists, they would probably be quite happy for you to put a modern reproduction of the original logo back on the boat, unless of course it is a model they are embarrassed by and don't wish people to be able to identify :)

One difficulty is that a lot of the 'old' boats we see people trying to ID were built at home using rented moulds, as such there may not have been an original logo/graphic to identify the boat in any case.

As a tip for someone to produce logos, since Euro/pound conversion made importing kayaks less viable, the owners of Hydrasports have gone back to their roots (in the print industry) and launched Tailored Branding which definitely has the capability to print boat stickers, as well as any logos on pretty much any kind of media (they have done clothing and banners for my club). They are in Stafford and have strong links with paddlesport. Of course you can find generic sticker companies just about anywhere.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

“Art and sea” are great for this kind of work.
As an example, I took a picture of my Anas Acuta logo circa 1985 then fiddled with the contrast and colour to produce a negative and sent them that, they then redrew the logo and I can have it any size I want, in any colour on a clear or coloured background or as cutout letters.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

The old Valley Canoe Products VCP logo

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

British canoe manufacturers association,
reflection of excellence.

I think the centre of the logo is a stylised canoe and it’s reflection (horizontally) and a stylised kayak and its reflection (vertically) ?

Outside edge of black ring roughly 90mm diameter

charleston14

Post by charleston14 »

Note: images posted are not “geometrically correct and 1:1 reproducible” as they are either photos of graphics or at too low a resolution to send directly to a printer to make an exact copy..or both.

Nick Gates

Post by Nick Gates »