Deck for Rockpool Isel? Oh, and a flask.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
TheEcho

Deck for Rockpool Isel? Oh, and a flask.

Post by TheEcho »

Does anyone have a source for a deck that would fit a Rockpool Isel? Every one I have tried is too wide and not long enough, including a Reed Keyhole B for Rockpool and a neoprene WW Bigdeck. I am currently using a Reed Keyhole Plastic, but it is baggy round the sides so lets water in during rolling practice.

I know Reed will do me a custom one, but ideally I would prefer neoprene as I find the Reed decks with the double bungee take a bit longer to make secure, which is important in the surf zone as I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome and my fingers go numb at the drop of a hat.

Rockpool pointed me at Phoenix Spraydecks when I bought the boat, but they don’t answer their phone or email so may have gone bellyup?

Second question - recommendations for a thermos flask with a lanyard, handle or carabiner attachment so I can sling it over my shoulder and clip it inside the cockpit whether I am in my sea boat, WW boat, a canoe or K1. Capacity 0.75-1.25 litres. My cheapy Kitchencraft one has got rust spots and lost its insulation after only a couple of trips, and my partner has some ex army ones that are as tough as old boots but don’t have an attachment point so I risk losing them if I tuck them between my legs in the cockpit.

on the rocks

Re: Deck for Rockpool Isel? Oh, and a flask.

Post by on the rocks »

We have two Isels, we bothy bought Reed Keyhole B decks which fitted well. Eventually I got a hole in my Reed deck from rescue practice so got a Peek neoprene deck in "bigdeck" size which also fits well. I practice rolls on every trip and don't suffer from significant leakage. Both decks took a little while to stretch and become easier to get on, both were helped by wetting before using.

I hope this helps?

For flasks glue and climbing tape stuck to a stainless flasks works for us, I've seen others with solid handles

Good luck

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

Any deck that will fit the Alaw Bach will fit the Isel.

Rog.

John Goldhurst

Post by John Goldhurst »

I own a Isel. Snap Dragon EXP series is what I use good fit even with extended rolling sessions. For size you want to get it (medium long) (ML) is there code

http://www.snapdragondesign.com/products/

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho »

Ah, after peering again at the deck that didn’t fit I think it is a Keyhole A with a blob on the label rather than a Keyhole B, which must make the baggy one Keyhole C -modern plastic. That makes sense!

Thanks everyone.