Drip rings good or bad?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
on the rocks

Drip rings good or bad?

Post by on the rocks » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 am

As I'm starting to develop and practice rescues etc in lumpier water I'm beginning to find drip rings more of a pain than a benefit, especially when briefly stowing my or casualty's paddles under my deck lines or spare paddles. I'm tempted to remove them - any comments or advice?

Chris Bolton

Re: Drip rings good or bad?

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 am

I think I stopped using them about 30 years ago, and don't miss them. Really only useful if you're on calm water and paddling gently, otherwise you'll get wet hands anyway.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:39 pm

I find they give a substantial advantage when paddling in winter. Pogies stay much drier, and my hands are therefore warmer. I've occasionally tried paddles with no drip rings, and I do notice the difference.

While they might be a bit of a faff for rescues, I've never had to do a recue for real in something like 30 years paddling - so for me warmer hands beats easier rescues and easier rescue practice.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:32 pm

I don’t paddle when it’s really cold, so find that my hands are fine either bare, or with thin neoprene gloves In autumn and spring. I either wear a drysuit with latex wrist seals or paddle when it’s warm enough not to care if my arms are wet.

I find Drip rings get in the way and a decent paddle will shed most of its water before running down the shaft, cheap paddles that I’ve used do dribble on me more.

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:06 pm

I use drip rings on my longer paddles (longer than 210cm) not for keeping hands dry but to help keep my hands located optimally on the shafts. I used to use tape to add ridges to the shafts but now happy with drip rings. Not very fashionable amongst the flat water racers at Chester but they work for me!

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:31 pm

I hate them, but can give no reasonable answer as to why.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm

I agree that (sometimes) drip rings can make it a bit more awkward to stow and retrieve a paddle under deck elastics but stowing paddles during rescues can be awkward anyway and a lot of paddlers I know have fitted some sort of device which lifts the elastics slightly clear of the deck for that reason. Therefore that partly nullifies the snagging effect of drip rings.
I actually like drip rings and even in slightly rough water I can see the paddle shaft is dry on the non blade side of the drip ring, keeping my hands dryer and warmer for longer. I would also say in some ways the drip rings give some assistance in securing the paddle under the elastics i.e. it can't simply slide out.

petesim48

Post by petesim48 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am

I don’t think drip rings are good or bad, you either like them or you don’t.
Personally I stopped using them a couple of years ago as I don’t like the plop noise they make when entering the water.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks all, the drip rings have gone

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:15 pm

petesim48 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am
I don’t like the plop noise they make when entering the water.
Surely the point is that drip rings don't enter the water otherwise the water will run down the shaft anyway - just a thought.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Now that they've gone I find it a lot easier stowing paddles during incidents, and don't notice any adverse effects

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Just started using a Greenland paddle. Pottering causes water to runs all over your hands, but once you get a decent cadence there seems to be no problem with drips. Bit of a radical solution mind :)
Growing old disgracefully