Security marking PE kayaks?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Yellerbelly

Security marking PE kayaks?

Post by Yellerbelly »

How can I mark a polyethylene kayak?

I've tried permanent marker but this rubs off again. I want to apply a unique logo or band across the deck so that it's immediately obvious. This would mean that it would be obvious if a thief tries to sell it online. You wouldn't buy something with no picture.

Is there any paint that will etch into the surface making it impossible to remove? Or a film that can be heated so that it bonds to the polyethylene?

Thanks.

eskapist

Re: Security marking PE kayaks?

Post by eskapist »

Whilst there are some highly aggressive industrial fluids which will etch PE, these aren't available retail. If I had a similar boat I would mark it by writing name/postcode/logo etc using the hot tip of a soldering iron preferably in an area of 'lesser' structural importance, perhaps somewhere like the cockpit outer surface. I don't know what the thickness is on such a place on your boat, but at a guess maybe 4/5mm? So even markings half mm deep could not be obliterated without obvious alteration of the surface.
You might be able to mark it with very aggressive abrasive particle blasting though a stencil mask if you have compressor handy.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

Yes, it's going to need heat, like a soldering iron or blowtorch, to deform/modify the surface. Abrasion wouldn't change the colour enough to make it obvious if a kayak was listed on Facebook/Gumtree/eBay. And it needs to be big enough so that the usual photos would show the marks, you can't just drape a lifejacket over the name, for instance.

I wouldn't want to put my postcode on a boat as then the thief knows where you live and you'll probably buy a replacement. And one day you'll probably sell it. These boats could exist after our death.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper »

You could probably use a Dremel or similar with a burred end fitted. That would remove the material fairly quickly but in a controlled manner.

Rog.

eskapist

Post by eskapist »

Yellerbelly wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 am

I wouldn't want to put my postcode on a boat as then the thief knows where you live and you'll probably buy a replacement. And one day you'll probably sell it. These boats could exist after our death.
Very good point !

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho »

Yellerbelly wrote:
These boats could exist after our death.
If it’s a truly awful design, there could be multiple incidents of it washing ashore alongside a dead body, and the widow[er] selling it on to someone they didn’t like. I remember being told a macabre story of a rowing boat like that as a kid. The name etching might serve as a warning.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

rockhopper wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:07 am
You could probably use a Dremel or similar with a burred end fitted. That would remove the material fairly quickly but in a controlled manner.

Rog.
You could fill the grooves with contrasting PE something like welding rods sold to do repairs but I'm thinking of a design that would be A4 size.

Yellerbelly

Post by Yellerbelly »

TheEcho wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:17 pm
Yellerbelly wrote:
These boats could exist after our death.
If it’s a truly awful design, there could be multiple incidents of it washing ashore alongside a dead body, and the widow[er] selling it on to someone they didn’t like. I remember being told a macabre story of a rowing boat like that as a kid. The name etching might serve as a warning.
I've seen this film.