Ocean cockpit: what spraydeck?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
charleston14

Ocean cockpit: what spraydeck?

Post by charleston14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:28 am

I’m acquiring a kayak with an ocean cockpit.

Spraydeck Options seem a bit limited..I’m just after a basic neoprene deck, preferably less than £60

Any good options / recommendations?

PlymouthDamo

Re: Ocean cockpit: what spraydeck?

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:22 am

I bought Lomo's standard ocean cockpit spraydeck. It's in thick neoprene and seems as tough as old boots. However on a previous keyhole deck from them, a run of stitching unraveled, which ultimately led to a seam coming apart, although the external cloth was still intact so you couldn't see it. This led to months of mystery cockpit leaks, and I only worked out what was going on when I held it up to the light. It was easy enough to fix, but the moral of the story is: don't ignore any loose threads - they're not just cosmetic.

My spraydeck fits perfectly, which with an ocean cockpit means it is very dry. The only problem is that my cockpit might be an unusual size as I used the custom deck template from Christopher Crowhurst's Rolling Shrike. Yours might be different. That said, I've swapped decks between my Shrike and Nick's Anas Acuta without problems.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:48 am

Dont think Lomo make an ocean cockpit deck any more

Smallest option is 60cm long which is 2cm more than the ocean cockpit of an Anas acuta

https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000088 ... html#SID=9

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:09 pm

I'm away until tomorrow evening, but will find out what size Lomo deck I've got and the dimensions of my cockpit. The other option you've got is a Reed deck, however I've borrowed Nick's and I found it much more difficult to get on and off.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Lomo advised me that their small deck is unavailable until next year when they will be making more.

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:55 pm

I used a Reed chillcheater deck on my old Anas. With the smaller cockpit you don't get the problems with doing T-rescues that you can with keyhole cockpits.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:14 pm

There were 2 fairly common sizes of ocean cockpit (possibly more) and they were similar to old slalom C1 size too - but note that modern slalom C1 cockpits are quite a lot bigger.

Probably over your £60 budget, but if your sizes don't match something they already have Reed Chillcheater will make you a custom deck if you can provide a paper template of the cockpit rim with the position of the back of the seat marked on (so they can put the waist tube in the right place); however I'm sure they will already have an ocean cockpit pattern to suit, especially since all the greenland style paddling enthusiasts seem to use their kit...

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Phoenix do a simple neoprene ocean deck, I've bought them through ASwatersports and they always seem to have them in stock. Probably about £60. This ocean fits an Anas acuta or the slightly rounder Skim cockpit it is quite flexible.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:20 am

A tuiliq could be another option.

Especially when you want to stop for a nice nap.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:23 pm

I also use a homemade akulisaq (summer skirt) modelled on one I saw in the British Museum using proofed nylon and a bungie waist and deck seal. Getting the S shaped cut to fit the oval ocean cockpit took some iteration, but the waist is easy, a one afternoon project if you have a sewing machine. I've since seen them in Greenland and mine is a pretty good copy in more easily available materials.