Seaward Kayaks

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
claudiovet

Seaward Kayaks

Post by claudiovet »

Glad to have found this forum! I wonder if any of you guys have had the chance to go sea-kayaking with boats from Seaward Kayaks. They manufacture kayaks in Canada and I have been considering
to upgrade from my Tempest 170 (Wildnerness Systems) to a Ascente X3 or Quest X3. Does anybody have anything to say about these boats? Just let me know. Thanks!

http://www.seawardkayaks.com/products_fibreglass.php

Claudio

Chris Bolton

Re: Seaward Kayaks

Post by Chris Bolton »

I rented two Seaward kayaks In BC 13 years ago; from memory, I paddled a Chilco and my son a Quest - but I could be misremembering. They were well built and thoughtfully fitted out. They had rudders, but otherwise felt like British kayaks. The one my son had was unusual among all the designs I've used, in that when loading up for a camping trip, in needed the heaviest items in the front compartment, not the back.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L »

We had Tyees for an 8 day trip in the Queen Charlotte islands (Haida Gwaii), BC. Canada. As soon as I saw it I knew where the "failing" in the design was. They were basically hard chine glass kayaks and the angle of the bottom was carried all the way through from bow to stern. The "correct" way is to change this angle over the length of the hull such that the bottom "planks" are getting towards vertical at the ends.

As soon as we ran into a head sea they pounded. If you get the design right, the hull will cut into the wave and also lift, such that the lift is enough to keep the deck dry but not pound. I often watch my partner's kayak, a Mac50, into a head sea, and yes, I got it right.

Otherwise no problems as there was plenty of stowage volume. If buying make sure it does not have sliding rudder pedals. The worst design possible.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L »

The Seaward Tyees have a "Seaward's exclusive safeHATCH™".

So exclusive that I've only been using it for 3 or more decades. They must have stolen my idea.

Note also their rudders, a pull down and pull up. There is no way of keeping the blade down once down. I rigged a bit of bungy on the kayak I paddled to overcome this.

The steering lines are stainless steel. The only ones I've came across that have broken (fatigue) were SS. I use Spectra. I don't know how long it lasts as the oldest is only a bit over 2 decades old.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

The only ones I've came across that have broken (fatigue) were SS. I use Spectra.
Sorry, off topic, but I also use Spectra. In the 1970s, I took over maintenance for my University Sailing Club. Our racing dinghies had a winch for the boom vang that wound wire around a 15mm axle. The previous maintainer explained that the wires kept breaking, so he had replaced them with thicker stainless wires, and when those broke, even thicker ones, and he was puzzled that they broke even faster. As an engineering student, I replaced them all with thin galvanised mild steel wire (spectra not having been invented) and we had no more failures.

SJD

Post by SJD »

I have some time in an Ascente. What are your expectations for an upgrade?