VW T6 Roof Rack advice please!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
blades

VW T6 Roof Rack advice please!

Post by blades »

Guys

Just wondering what folk have found to be the best solution for kayak carrying on a VW SWB T6?

I understand the side rails with cross bars are more styling than load carrying... 20-30kg max?

I’ve looked at the Rhino Delta 3 bar system, this looks a good option, but I am thinking long term that perhaps because of the height of the vehicle, that a Karitek rack may be the best end result? Does the Karitek fit onto the Rhino delta bars does anyone know?

Any other options?

Thanks in advance 👍
take nothing but pictures!

Valbo

Re: VW T6 Roof Rack advice please!

Post by Valbo »

Hi- roof rails are load rated to 75kg but you have to buy the right ones. Many on the market are just cosmetic and carry much less weight. A google will sort the wheat from the chaff. Van Demon sell the right ones, cost about £75 (for a SWB). V easy to fit.
Sorry can’t help you with karitek etc, hopefully others can advise. Good luck

submersiblesid

Post by submersiblesid »

I mount 2 sea kayaks on my T6 and went for the original VW roof bars to which I've added J bars.
Very secure and good load rating.
Expensive but you get what you pay for - a well engineered and proper fitting product

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Karitek will fit on most bars, and I think they will also fit directly to most van mounting points, speak to Ann, and she will let you know if this is indeed the case.

Colin

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks »

We have a Karitek mounted on Rhino Delta bars and it works well. The T Tracks that were on our T5 looked rather flimsy so I removed them and fixed the Rhino bars directly to the screw sockets that used to hold the T Tracks. Solid as a rock. Can you remove the rails on your T6 and do the same?

blades

Post by blades »

on the rocks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:06 am
We have a Karitek mounted on Rhino Delta bars and it works well. The T Tracks that were on our T5 looked rather flimsy so I removed them and fixed the Rhino bars directly to the screw sockets that used to hold the T Tracks. Solid as a rock. Can you remove the rails on your T6 and do the same?
Hi, yes I think I can. I have found out that the roof rails that were to be fitted to this T6 are only good for 25kg. Currently, and certainly in the first instance, I think the Rhino Delta bars are the way to go.

I see the Rhino Delta Bars come in sets, 2 bars, 3 bars or 4 bars.... trying to found out how many fixing points my T6 SWB has? Only 2 weeks until I collect it now!

Thanks for the help 👍
take nothing but pictures!

RickC

Post by RickC »

T-tracks (if factory fitted from new) are rated to 150kg. They have additional mounting points on each side, totalling seven per track. As a specified extra at time of order it's £120 which is amazing value and surprising from VW. In the configurator its called something like "Roof load preparation". This is what I have, coupled with a Karitek ELRR and it's brilliant. It's possible to DIY retro-fit this kit but unless you drill the roof for the extra three mount points (and fit the brackets under) it won't have the same high load rating. If your van has headlining that will need to be removed to put the extra brackets in place. Even the local VW dealer didn't want to do this retrofit. A bit of digging on the web will find the part numbers for everything needed.

The Karitek aluminium roof rail tracks are similar to Reimo rails (not to be confused with Rhino bars) and come pre-drilled and go straight onto a T6. It's a doddle to fit them and you then have a trustworthy rail onto which you can fit a Karitek ELRR or many other non-karitek systems. If all you want is a Karitek rack there is a fitting kit that goes straight onto the roof fixing points.

As already mentioned by the OPs, the front to back after market rails vary enormously in quality and strength. A couple of sea kayaks and some cross bars will tip you over the scales for many.

Cheers, Rick