Impatient.... help!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
blades

Impatient.... help!

Post by blades » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:58 am

Hi

Looking for some guidance please... I’ve been working on my weight and general health over the past year... dropping from 26st to 20.5st currently, I still have a journey to go but my patience has run out, I want to get a sea kayak now to aid further weight loss. Can anyone suggest any boats... even if it’s sacrificial until I lose more weight and get a true Sea Kayak. I need added motivation!

Thanks in advance for any help 👍
take nothing but pictures!

adventureagent

Re: Impatient.... help!

Post by adventureagent » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:28 am

I remember many years ago that the greatest impediment one man had, when it came to kayaking, was that he would tip over on the smoothest tongue of water. I couldnt figure it out. I then asked this award-winning designer what he thought. He suggested that the boat width was the issue. So a wide boat might be one of the factors to look for.

Access into the kayak is the hard part. If it's got a deck, you will need to be able to bend those legs into the boat and again - the hard part - lift them up and out again. Sometimes a sideways entry is easier. So, while you may not like the concept, an open boat, like a fishing kayak might be a good start. The issue with this, as I see it, is that they sometimes require a downward reach. You want to avoid letting the boat dictate that you bend sideways for each stroke. That's work wasted.

I met a very large man and his equally large wife who could roll their boats. I was amazed. But it's all about the individual's attributes and - attitude. I thiink paddling a kayak will be an amazing tool to have fun. Like anything else, it's miles. And we learn that it's just working on one element at a time. Getting down and in or on is step one. Find a way to do it. Practice. It's gonna be work, but as this group shows, it's worth it and it has all sorts of benefits.

I wish you well in this. And maybe, just maybe, this little reply to you will prompt some more ideas. Maybe you can find another person with the same ambitions.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

danthomas

Post by danthomas » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 pm

You could try open canoes, sit-on-tops, surf skis or open cockpit stable K1s. I understand that American-designed sea kayaks are often a lot roomier than British-designed ones.

It is easy to suggest possibilities but probably impossible for anyone to point you at any one answer. You just have to get out there, experiment, and find the solution that will work for you. It is easy to say but not necessarily easy to do in practice.

One of the things that got me into sea kayaking is that I have a club foot and hillwalking hurts. It took thirty years of putting up with the pain before I found a walking boot which actually suits me. I am sure there is a boat out there for you, if only you can find it.

You're a hero. Good luck, and good paddling!

blades

Post by blades » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:35 am

Thank you both 👍

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:40 am

What, in particular, is your limitation in choosing a kayak? Is it cockpit size/width, stability, getting in and out, etc? Some previous threads that might help:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105427
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124854

One possibility is to build a kayak to suit you - the Shrike plans can be scaled up to whatever size you like, and I'm sure Nick would advise on customising the design.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110381

I hope you can find a suitable boat. Secondhand is ideal as you'll lose very little when you sell on.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:15 pm

On the subject of weight loss, swimming & cycling are good ways to burn up fat with relatively low impact on your joints (compared to jogging eg). On a hilly 2.5hr ride yesterday I must have burned off almost 2,000kcal.

When people talk about the benefits of cycling they'll mention cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, decreased stress levels etc but the real benefit comes at dinner time. I had a mountain of chips on my plate you could barely see over and two puddings. Yum. I probably still lost a little weight.

Break yourself in gently to any new physical activity, inc kayaking. Your body will complain loudly as muscles which aren't used to being worked hard are forced to earn their keep but in time you'll get to enjoy it.

blades

Post by blades » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 pm

mcgruff wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:15 pm
On the subject of weight loss, swimming & cycling are good ways to burn up fat with relatively low impact on your joints (compared to jogging eg). On a hilly 2.5hr ride yesterday I must have burned off almost 2,000kcal.

When people talk about the benefits of cycling they'll mention cardiovascular fitness, muscle strength, decreased stress levels etc but the real benefit comes at dinner time. I had a mountain of chips on my plate you could barely see over and two puddings. Yum. I probably still lost a little weight.

Break yourself in gently to any new physical activity, inc kayaking. Your body will complain loudly as muscles which aren't used to being worked hard are forced to earn their keep but in time you'll get to enjoy it.
Thanks... yeah I am cycling and the weight is coming off... it’s just a slow process 👍

blades

Post by blades » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:40 am
What, in particular, is your limitation in choosing a kayak? Is it cockpit size/width, stability, getting in and out, etc? Some previous threads that might help:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105427
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=124854

One possibility is to build a kayak to suit you - the Shrike plans can be scaled up to whatever size you like, and I'm sure Nick would advise on customising the design.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110381

I hope you can find a suitable boat. Secondhand is ideal as you'll lose very little when you sell on.
Thank you, I will have a good read of these threads 👍

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Scorpio hv
Stable big boys boat which you can sell on for what you paid.

Well done on the weight losses ..you can and will do it.

Best workout for fat burn is intense kettlebell session, do that with a caloric deficit and you will shrink. Up protein to maintain muscle as your body burns off muscle in preference to fat.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Scroll down the topics list, there is a “Sea kayaks for big guys” thread.

blades

Post by blades » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 am

charleston14 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:17 pm
Scorpio hv
Stable big boys boat which you can sell on for what you paid.

Well done on the weight losses ..you can and will do it.

Best workout for fat burn is intense kettlebell session, do that with a caloric deficit and you will shrink. Up protein to maintain muscle as your body burns off muscle in preference to fat.
Thank you 👍

blades

Post by blades » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 am

charleston14 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:28 pm
Scroll down the topics list, there is a “Sea kayaks for big guys” thread.
Thanks... found it and hopefully rekindled it 👍

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:33 pm

blades wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:12 pm
Thanks... yeah I am cycling and the weight is coming off... it’s just a slow process 👍
If cycling I'd recommend toe clips, easier to keep feet from slipping from the pedals for the full rotation. The straps can be loose. Also most important, spin. DO NOT SLOG. 80-90 revs a minute, especially on hills. I used to, after Xmas (summer here), ride nearly 500 km to where my kayak was kept, kayak for a week and then ride home. The cycling, over mountains with a loaded bike. Going to work for decades was always by bike. Then probably a gentle 100 km on Sunday.

I will admit to being lucky, 6' and 68 kg (<11 stone) and paddle a 510 mm (20") beam kayak.
Kayak size for you? Suggest 24" beam at least.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm

I have probably been close to your weight in the past, and I could probably think of some designs that should work well for your weight (most will if day tripping since they are designed to carry camping kit as well as a paddler), so much will depend on skill and experience with respect to whether you will find them stable enough to be comfortable or not.

One boat that I have never paddled myself but used to know a lot of people who loved them, is the P&H Orion. It is pretty wide for its length and people always found it solid as a rock and large enough to carry a good amount of camping kit whether they were large or small themselves. Best part is I don't think they are made any more so you will be looking for a second hand bargain, which is always the best way to start out!

For a more modern boat, I would suggest looking at Rockpool GT, but again I have never paddled one. In fact, all of the boats I have paddled are not boats I would recommend to a beginner however heavy they are, I have probably paddled them all at around your current weight though. My current boat is a Rockpool Taran, I find it it pretty stable, but I know know most beginners would probably describe it as slightly twitchy and wouldn't reccommend it for a less than intermediate level paddler.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm

I would suggest looking at Rockpool GT
My usual sea kayak is a Rockpool GT. It's a great boat and I find it stable, manoeuvrable and fairly fast. It has enough volume for a 20st paddler but I don't think the cockpit will be wide enough somebody of that weight. My son, who is a muscular 95kg, doesn't fit.

blades

Post by blades » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm
I would suggest looking at Rockpool GT
My usual sea kayak is a Rockpool GT. It's a great boat and I find it stable, manoeuvrable and fairly fast. It has enough volume for a 20st paddler but I don't think the cockpit will be wide enough somebody of that weight. My son, who is a muscular 95kg, doesn't fit.
Thank you 👍

blades

Post by blades » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:02 pm
I have probably been close to your weight in the past, and I could probably think of some designs that should work well for your weight (most will if day tripping since they are designed to carry camping kit as well as a paddler), so much will depend on skill and experience with respect to whether you will find them stable enough to be comfortable or not.

One boat that I have never paddled myself but used to know a lot of people who loved them, is the P&H Orion. It is pretty wide for its length and people always found it solid as a rock and large enough to carry a good amount of camping kit whether they were large or small themselves. Best part is I don't think they are made any more so you will be looking for a second hand bargain, which is always the best way to start out!

For a more modern boat, I would suggest looking at Rockpool GT, but again I have never paddled one. In fact, all of the boats I have paddled are not boats I would recommend to a beginner however heavy they are, I have probably paddled them all at around your current weight though. My current boat is a Rockpool Taran, I find it it pretty stable, but I know know most beginners would probably describe it as slightly twitchy and wouldn't reccommend it for a less than intermediate level paddler.
Thank you 👍