New paddles?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
on the rocks

New paddles?

Post by on the rocks » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:41 pm

I love my VE paddle but made the mistake of not going for a split option. I really could do with splits for travelling but unfortunately VE are no longer making paddles. I have plastic Werner’s for my spares and not keen on the push button mechanism so my choice for new best split paddles would seem to Celtic or Mitchell both in carbon. The Mitchell’s are a bit more expensive but I like the idea of the foam core, hopefully as a slight aid (real or imaginary) in rolling. Has anyone used both and can offer a comparison or reviews? Thanks

purelandexpeditions.com

Re: New paddles?

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:18 am

Werner 4 piece is a very good system, the push buttom is pretty much industry standard. As for Lendal and Mitchell both are good, not much between them.

A lever varilock split system is excellent but does often mean you have one long end on the shaft making putting in a boat an issue, on a boat less so.
D
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Doorman

Post by Doorman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Just a thought but could you ask a kayak company to convert your VE to a split option?

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 am

From personal experience over the years AT paddles are very good, but very stiff, makes a roll seem easy, but also easier to pull a muscle in real life, I like a bit more give. Comparing a carbon and bendy wood greenland paddle the bendy one gives back at the end with a little spring if the boat is slow in responding due to wind or waves.

Epic are also worth a look, the 'relaxed' hybrid is good value and with a better more reliable locking mechanism and lighter than the Werner. The full carbon is ultra light but also very very stiff, we got one at super bargain price but I prefer the hybrid really. Our favourites for years and very durable.

Daker

Post by Daker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:06 pm

If you like your current VEs, Id just buy a joint piece, cut them in half and fit a Celtic Padlock joint.
Its easy enough to do if you're careful.

One thing to remember, if you want the two pieces to be the same length for use as splits at any time, the cut need to be a bit off centre to allow for the protrusion of the spigot piece. ;-)

sloegin

Post by sloegin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Also take a look at Ainsworth Ocean in full carbon or Carbon Shaft and glass blades, or as PeterG mentions above Epic make touring paddles which I am about to bring into stock next week.
North shore Ocean 17.6

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 am

I bought a lever lock joint from Mitchell Blades. Was given personal advice plus an instruction sheet on fitting the new joint. Not a hard job and the modified paddles have been used a lot in the 5 years since with no sign of problem with the joint.

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks everybody, I ordered some new Mitchell Bombora paddles before I realised I could get a diy joint for my VEs. I’ll now get a joint for VEs so I’ll always have a good pair as spare and sell my current plastic spares, if I’m ever in a situation to need the spares it’s likely that a good back up will be more useful in getting out of the situation. Also it may be useful to have a choice of paddles for different conditions

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:15 am

Let us know how you get on with the Mitchell blades, especially compared to the VE ones. I almost went for the Bomboras before i decided on my VE paddles so would be interested to hear a comparison.

Rog.