Bach Eto

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
SJD

Bach Eto

Post by SJD » Sat May 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Rockpool has discontinued the Alaw Bach and is now offering the Bach Eto. Anyone seen and or paddled one yet?

Maarten Z

Re: Bach Eto

Post by Maarten Z » Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 am

I've seen a demo boat on the SKUK symposium. Of course it looked good. Unfortunately I didn't have/take the time to talk with Mike on the topic.
I own an Alaw Bach for 7 years now and still absolutely love it so I don't have an immediate need to buy a new one.

I use this reference for a list of changes (sorry, in French): http://www.breizhkayak.com/kayak-fibre- ... --859.html
From that I conclude that it is a different boat all together. So I would be a bit surprised if they would really discontinue the Alaw Bach since there would still be people having a better fit with the 'original'.

I can comfortably get in the Alaw Bach by putting my bum in first and then the legs. I consider this as improved safety in the case of rescues etc. The small hatch in front of the cockpit of the ETO, although probably a much requested feature, is hindering this capability with my long legs. I have one in my Pace 17 and already wondered if I should remove it and do something creative with it.

The seat is supposed to be inspired by the one from the Taran. Not my cup of tea, it's the most uncomfortable one I have ever been in and would need drastic adjustments to fit my bony hips.

The seat has been moved aft a bit and with that also the volumes below the waterline. To get a good trim on my Alaw Bach, I typically put most of my day kit in the front hatch. Not sure how the volume & CoG changes affect this behavior.

The security feature to lock the boat is a nice add on though, one I (and probably others) requested to Mike a couple of years ago.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sun May 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Have they actually discontinued the Alaw Bach or just added the ETO to their list of boats. Seems strange to discontinue such a popular boat when the larger Bach hardly seems to sell in any numbers.

Rog.

SJD

Post by SJD » Sun May 19, 2019 5:28 pm

I received the information third hand but was told the news may be found on Rockpool’s Facebook page.

thekracken

Post by thekracken » Sun May 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I was fortunate to borrow one for two days paddling in rough and calm water unladen, and...I now have one on order! Very impressive.
It held its course well even in a beam sea and a quartering wind. Good boat connectivity. I usually paddle a Gemini and a Cetus and the Rockpool Eto exceeded them, handled better. To note: I was looking for a easy entry/ exit as I have long legs (31 inside leg)and big feet (size 9) and this proved easy and comfortable.

SJD

Post by SJD » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm

I have the same leg length (35 inch inseam) and forward day hatch interference as others have expressed.

SJD

Post by SJD » Tue May 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Does the Bach Eto have the same Alaw Bach adjustable seat and footrest/plate?

simon64

Post by simon64 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:29 pm

This could be the one to tempt me back to a composite kayak.