Inflatable Kayak recommendations ?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
spices100

Inflatable Kayak recommendations ?

Post by spices100 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Can anyone recommend an inflatable kayak that i can use for touring on rivers/lakes and some sea ?
I dont have the space for a rigid kayak so it'll have to be an inflatable. So far I've only seen those on Decathlon site.

Ken_T

Re: Inflatable Kayak recommendations ?

Post by Ken_T » Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am

Have you considered a folding boat like a Klepper or a Feathercraft? I am not an expert on these, but there are people on this site that paddle them.
Ken

spices100

Post by spices100 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:52 am

Ken_T wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 am
Have you considered a folding boat like a Klepper or a Feathercraft? I am not an expert on these, but there are people on this site that paddle them.
Ken
They're bait out of my budget. Am only looking to spend £500.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Thu May 16, 2019 12:10 pm

Gumotex.

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Another vote for Gumotex.https://www.gumotexboats.com/en/inflatable-kayaks We have a two man Safari, which has been replaced by the Twist by the look of it. We have paddled the Trent, Severn, Wye rivers, and the Dart, Camel and the Helford Estuaries with it quite happily. I wouldn't go very far off-shore with it though, like many inflatables it is badly affected by the wind.

acostamorte

Post by acostamorte » Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 pm

The Gumotex are good but I reckon the Advanced Elements are better. £500 to £1200 new, I've seen them secondhand on ebay £300-£700.

https://www.advancedelementskayaks.co.uk/

MartinG

Post by MartinG » Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm

The advantage with the Gumotex boats is that they are single skinned. Lots of other boats have air bladders encased in a tarpaulin outer layer. Once water gets between the layers they are a real pain to dry. If you have a puncture, single skinned boats are easier to fix. You don't have to remove an air bladder and, once fixed, try and get it back in again.

spices100

Post by spices100 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:08 pm

The disadvantage of single skinned is that they are more easier to puncture.

MartinG

Post by MartinG » Fri May 17, 2019 3:31 pm

No, I don't think that's correct. The two layers are thinner than the single thick layer used in the Gumotex boats. The air bladders in double layered boats are very thin. All the protection has to come from the single layer of tarpaulin.

turnpike

Post by turnpike » Fri May 17, 2019 4:16 pm

I've seen a lot of suggestions for Gumotex when people ask about "budget inflatables" such as Decathlons itiwit. I've read there have been issues with the lighter material they use on the Twist. Does anyone know if that's not a problem now? If the twist is easier to puncture it would put me off.

Cheers!

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri May 17, 2019 11:17 pm

I've got the latest version of The Twist and can confirm it's bomb-proof, despite the material being much lighter than the heavy rubbery stuff used in the previous incarnation. The only problem I had was that the inflatable back and foot rests are a bit Mickey Mouse, so I replaced them with a commercial sit-on-top backrest and made my own design of foot 'stirrups' from webbing - they work fine. Gumotex definitely isn't a bargain brand - you pay a lot, but get a bomb proof boat which packs down far smaller than the competition. (Not to be confused with 'Intex' which IS a budget brand.)

This website mainly focuses on 'serious' inflatable kayaks and packrafts, so it's probably a better place to do your research:
https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.com/

acostamorte

Post by acostamorte » Sat May 18, 2019 2:01 pm

I had a look at the Itiwit Strenfit X500 in Decathlon and I thought it was pretty good. £600 of semi-rigid kayak that looked and smelt like a kayak. Would be interested to know how it paddles.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/strenfit-x5 ... 03087.html

turnpike

Post by turnpike » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:41 pm

I got a Gumotex with the proper Nitrilon. As far as I can see, the latest version of the Twist has gone back to using the same anyway.

I've found it to be a great kayak so far. I have nothing to compare to but as said above, it's fantastic that it just needs a wipe down before packing away. Have been on a slightly choppy lake 15mph winds and happy with performance.

username Chris S

Post by username Chris S » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 pm

I have the same storage issues and went through several IKs before settling on a Gumotex Seawave.
Four years on, no regrets. I mostly do sea day trips and a few sea overnights.
Best proper IK ever. Stable but not over-wide as many US brands, though on a WW river it may be a bit long.
Fyi Gums are made from the same rubber-coated fabric (hypalon; nitrilon, EPDM) as used for commercial WW rafts which last for decades.

The Seawave runs higher pressures than most other brands (and other Gumo models, too).
That makes a big difference to rigidity and so, speed, which matters at sea.
We were cruising at nearly 6kph the other day into a breeze.
I would not choose an AE for this reason and those mentioned earlier.
You may find this table useful:
https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.co ... -compared/

As also mentioned, the new trend is drop-stitch hulls.
The Decathlon one is full DS (probably PVC, not rubber) and with a more sophisticated hull profile than Sea Eagles etc.
Or Gumo have the new Thaya - basically a Solar with a DS floor, but pricey.
DS panels can run double the pressure of conventional round tubes = more rigidity + more room inside.
More here:
https://inflatablekayaksandpackrafts.co ... -rigidity/

Only thing is I'm not sure how a flat barge-like DS floor would handle at sea compared to more rounded tubed IK hulls like a Seawave.
The day they can form DS panels the way they hydroform aluminium frames on MTBs - ie not flat slabs like a Sea Eagle – may be a big improvement.

New, a Twist 2 with Damo's mods would be a great allrounder under 500 quid

PS: a mate may be selling my old Austrian Grabner Amigo in your budget.
3.9m is OK for sea and great for rivers + 0.3 bar all round.
Stiff as a brick and built like a brick outhouse too ;-)