Tasty hatch!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Beryl

Tasty hatch!

Post by Beryl » Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Could anyone kindly identify the manufacturer?

https://media.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/u ... 8-2384.png

mgburg

Re: Tasty hatch!

Post by mgburg » Thu May 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Could it be a Bear mountain kayaks USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu May 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Could be home made.

Why have you posted in the gear for sale forum? Unless you're selling or buying it would be better in the sea kayak gear forum. Mods can move it if you like.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Beryl wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 pm
Could anyone kindly identify the manufacturer?

https://media.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/u ... 8-2384.png
I'm not sure you've posted the right photo. The one you've posted is of a Shrike built by Neall in Devon, and was originally posted in Nick Crowhurst's Shrike thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110381&start=180. It doesn't have any hatches in. (If you mean the cockpit, then that's all included in the free plans for the Shrike which you'll find linked to in Nick's thread.)

Beryl

Post by Beryl » Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 am

Demo... surely that’s a day hatch just behind the cockpit? Yes it is Neall’s boat I’m referring to. Just by way of explanation, I was going to build the shrike this summer but a Bill Thomas Willow came up locally so I’ve taken the route of least resistance. It doesn’t have a day hatch however and the one Neall fitted looks more elegant than the usual offerings I’m thinking.

Couldn’t find anything under Bear Mountian Mgburg.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri May 03, 2019 10:27 am

That photo only shows the circular hole cut out for the day hatch - any circular recessed hatch of the right diameter could fit. However, you'd want to choose carefully as some are no good. You definitely want to avoid the sort which aren't fully threaded. (Difficult to explain in writing but essentially these things unlock by rotating a quarter-turn and then you have to pull them out the rest of the way with slippery wet fingers - which becomes physically impossible once the boat has cooled in the water and the hatch cover jams on because of air pressure.) Nick Crowhurst recommends Barton hatches, as they're good quality, but he also provided me with the following link to another good-quality brand which are also the cheapest I've found:
https://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/Se ... lates.html

Recessed hatches often leak. All mine do. It would also be possible to fit a raised circular hatch rim with a rubber cover (i.e. the sort you normally see on sea kayak day hatches) but that's quite complicated.

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Air pressure locking things. Also trying to suck water in. Hot air while on shore, becomes cold and lowers the pressure once the kayak is launched.

Simple, drill a ~1 mm hole in every bulkhead in the middle. No mater which way up the kayak is the hole should be above the water level. Even if not the amount that might trickle in will be minimal or much less than might be sucked in through a leaky cover because the now cold air in the compartment is trying to suck in via the hatch cover.

The quarter turn covers - when I have had them, a stick with a couple of knobs, stick long enough to give leverage, knobs to go in the indentations where you grasp the cover to turn.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri May 03, 2019 2:20 pm

Mac50L wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 pm
The quarter turn covers - when I have had them, a stick with a couple of knobs, stick long enough to give leverage, knobs to go in the indentations where you grasp the cover to turn.
The little holes definitely help prevent your hatches being vacuum-locked in position - I use a slightly posher variant which Nick recommended: 'gore plugs' which allow air but not water to pass.

However, I've made those stick/knob things for all my boats, but they don't help me get the quarter-turn hatches out. The difficult bit is physically pulling the hatch cover out of the hole (after you've already unlocked it with a quarter turn) when the only purchase you've got on it is your thumb and forefinger on wet/slippery plastic indents which are angled the wrong way for any purchase. When your hands are cold and numb and the hatch cover decides to be a bit grabby, you're buggered. My only remedy was to replace them with screw-out ones, and that's why I'd strongly recommend people avoid that type when they're looking to buy.