Steve Backshall in Greenland

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
jmmoxon

Steve Backshall in Greenland

Post by jmmoxon »

Paddling in Scoresby Sund on BBC2 now. Part 2 next Sunday.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Neptune

Re: Steve Backshall in Greenland

Post by Neptune »

I have paddled with Steve in the past, but my wife was definatly not impressed when he seperated himself from the rest of the group in the ever changing ice flow, went against all her safety principles.

I have to say that with all that ice curning about and the sub-zero temperatures I would have been inclined to have worn a helmet too.

Peter

jamesl2play

Post by jamesl2play »

Been to Greenland loads of times, never worn a helmet once.
Its a personal choice. Why turn a bimble into a gnarly sport. Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

Helmet is probably to hold the Comms system & camera.

Series is still available on Dave, with a new one about the risks they took just being shown. Episode 2 starts with the separation & polar bear (you need to register):
https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/exped ... tch-online
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

my wife was definatly not impressed when he seperated himself from the rest of the group in the ever changing ice flow
I thought the same. I've paddled in ice, in Greenland, with the same guide Steve Backshall used, who I have the greatest respect for. It was very interesting that when Steve was doing dubious things, like splitting the group or paddling close a berg, the guide was not in shot. I think he told Steve he was on his own if he wanted to do that. But I suspect the splitting of the group was not all it appeared to be, and he was making it look exciting. There's a huge difference between making a film of an expedition and making a TV programme - Steve was making a TV programme.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I've been on a mountaineering expedition with Steve Backshaw back in 2006. He was very strong and did summit, But he never beat me at base camp scrabble!
I've also paddled in Greenland a couple of times with the same guide. Had a couple of very interesting conversations with him last year about Steve getting stuck and the polar bear "incident", amongst others!

Like James I don't even take a helmet. It takes up beer and wine space.