Severn Estuary

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
penelope

Severn Estuary

Post by penelope » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Descent Severn Estuary:
Getting in...Sharpness or Lydney? Any advice?
Getting out? Looks to me like this is part of the challenge...any advice on viable get outs on either Welsh or English side welcomed.
We are three experienced sea kayakers from N Wales -we are looking forward to local knowledge from all you lovely SW paddlers.

jmmoxon

Re: Severn Estuary

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 pm

May be better off ascending with the tide as get out points are limited at low. Either way you can't paddle against the main flow.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:20 am

The Environment Agency, along with Roger Drummond produced, 'Canoeists Guide' to the River Severn. It only takes you down as far as Gloucester but Roger may well be a good source of information. I believe his Son(s) once did a similar journey to yours.

Rich

SWPaddler

Post by SWPaddler » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:24 pm

I like this trip. I strongly recommend that it is done on big springs, and you do need experienced paddlers. For a group that paddles at say 6kph you will regularly travel at 15kph, and sometimes at 21kph as you go through the bridges.
I have done both directions several times. Clevedon to Sharpness Dock. Downstream is easier as you can arrive at Clevedon at mid tide. Starting from Clevedon is grim as the “causeway” that you can walk along to the water’s edge does not extend to low tide, particularly on a spring. Starting at Sharpness on a big spring means you can launch from the grass. Downstream takes c 3.5hours for 44km.

The only stopping point is at Beachley, otherwise there is too much mud. Fortunately this is approx. mid point.

The trip is described in Mark Rainsley’s book on the SW.

A separate good trip is a there and back from Beachley. Launch c 2 hours before low water and go SW. Stop on an island for lunch, some of them are rocky, they are not all mud. Come back in with the tide. The environment becomes full of shoals, islands, etc and some moving water: mini waterfalls, narrow gaps, it is a different sea kayak environment to what we are accustomed to see.

Have a good time.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:04 am

Birnbeck pier at Weston super mare has an old walkway near it that can be used at low tide (although possibly not big spring lows). There is street parking or a pay & display nearby, but it is quite a steep carry to & from the water (steps beside the hotels on lower continuation of Birnbeck Road are easier than the ones direct from the car park on Birkett Road, that continues around the headland).

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

penelope

Post by penelope » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 am

Thank you. This type of local knowledge is so helpful

penelope

Post by penelope » Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Thank you all for your advice. Our day descending the Severn Estuary from Sharpness was my most memorable day on the water ever. It's a superb trip.
http://turningthecorner.me/stage-8-shar ... 214-miles/