Best Expedition Fast Sea Kayak Options?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
creatamax

Best Expedition Fast Sea Kayak Options?

Post by creatamax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Hey everyone!.
Sorry this has probably been asked a million times but I’m Looking at getting a fast sea kayak for training and small expedition use. I haven’t yet tried any but have spoke. To people and I’m heading towards a taran 16 as want something for day paddling use as well and have heard that a Taran 16 is good for that.
If anyone can recommend anything that suits, basically something fast, with plenty of storage not to long and has a rudder.
Cheers for now.
Mike

mcgruff

Re: Best Expedition Fast Sea Kayak Options?

Post by mcgruff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 pm

The Epic 16X is a similar kind of boat to the Taran. The trackmaster rudder is a little further forward which may have a small advantage.

Personally I think I'd go for the Epic V6, the surfski-cockpit version of the 16X. Haven't paddled one but I like the idea of easier launching in rough conditions.
Last edited by mcgruff on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 pm

PS: for training, you maybe also want to look at wing paddles. Surfski ergonomics (these are all surfski-hybrid designs) is all about knees-together leg-drive and good body rotation. The wing paddle is part of that. The way they grip the water seems to be particularly important for balance in the skinny racing skis.

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 am

I've not paddled any of these rudder equipped boats myself, but another obvious similar option would be the Tiderace Pace 17 (16cm longer than the Taran) or maybe the Pace Action.

https://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/kayak ... e-17-tour/
https://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/kayak ... ce-action/

creatamax

Post by creatamax » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am

Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated to mcgruff I’ve actually used wings before and totally agree they would be a perfect match for the use of such boats.
Cheers mike

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:50 am

I've got the Epic 16x and love it. I paddle it with two friends who both have the Taran 16 and they love theirs. Performance wise there's nothing between them. We also have Flat Earth Sails and these boats are really easy to sail with the rudders.
The Epic has loads of storage space and a large cockpit to allow for knee up surf ski type paddling when you want it. I swapped the seat for a P&H Connect 30 which I find very comfortable.
The rudder system is great and much better than the Taran's and it has a full footplate.
Both boats have been great rough water boats and really surprised us with their capabilities is pretty big tide races.
At 16ft storage is no problem but with a waterline longer than most 18ft boats they are very quick but also much more manoeuvrable than those long boats.
I'm sure you'd love either but as always really do try before you buy. I'm Somerset based if you want to try mine and will be in Pembrokeshire 10-12 May.

Daker

Post by Daker » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am

Id be interested to know how those who have owned or paddled the Epic 16x find it compares to similar boats from other manufacturers in both speed and stability. I've only ever read good reviews of the Epic but it is by far the widest of these style of boats at a quoted 58.4cm.

The Taran 18 is 52cm, Taran 16 is 51.5cm,
The Pace 16 is 54cm, 17 is 53c, 18 is 53.5cm,
NDK Quantum 55cm

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Don't take any notice of the 58cm width. That is simply across the deck at it widest point. It's more like 52/53 at the waterline as it curves in very quickly. Initially I found it a little unstable, but my other main boat is a Sirona. Once I got used to it I've found it fine, maybe moderate initial stability and good secondary, but once moving it's pretty solid. I found it great on The Bitches and in Jack's Sound flowing at about 80%.
Speedwise it's an easy match against a Taran 16 with or without a sail. It's daft that 3 of us paddle together in these boats and have never actually tried each others!

JulesT

Post by JulesT » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 am

I've demoed the Tarans and the Pace 17 a few times and am getting a Pace 17. For me it seems to provide the best combination of performance, stability, practical loading for expedition (big oval hatches), comfort and quality. The Pace has been chosen for many expeditions, currently around Ireland, across the Bass Strait, around the Mediterranean etc
Jules

sloegin

Post by sloegin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 pm

If you want to spend a bit less and have something in a tougher plastic construction you could try a P&H Valkyrie. Available in a 2 3 or 4 hatch version.
North shore Ocean 17.6