Kayak sail

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Porteous

Kayak sail

Post by Porteous » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi there I have a Delphin 155 and want to put a sail onto it. As flat earth sails not available and I have access to sail maker I was going to make my own. Does any body have dimensions of a flat earth trade wind 0.8 sail that I could copy rather than starting from zero? I trust this post request doesn’t break any forum rules
Thanks Rod

Fozzy

Re: Kayak sail

Post by Fozzy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Expedition Kayaks in Australia now manufacture and sell Flat Earth Sails. I bought mine direct from them, they will also value the package "appropriately" if you ask them. Early last year mine came in at about £300 for the full set.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:01 am

Hi Porteous,

Karitek appear to have the Trade Wind 0.8 available.... https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/sea-kaya ... y=15487401

Kind regards

Ian

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Kari Tek are about to land a big lot of 0.8m Trade Wind sails. As far as we can see, buying from us in Australia and paying freight and your local taxes shouldn’t be any cheaper than buying from Kari Tek, and they’re local, a lovely business, and well and truly worth supporting.

As to copying the sail, it was developed by our great mate Mick MacRobb over many years at great expense, and continues to provide his family with income through royalties on each and every one sold.

Please don’t copy it, by all means make your own; we’ve done that for years in Australia, but a straight copy with publicly posted specs isn’t really cricket....

Mark Sundin (Expedition Kayaks and Flat Earth Sails)

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:20 am

Hi Porteous welcome to the forum. I agree with all of the above posts. Karitek are a great company to deal with. Sadly there are already too many copies of the Flat Earth sail floating about. Some are even sold with similar sounding model names. The late Mick MacRobb who designed and made Flat Earth sails was a thoroughly decent guy who used to freely share his knowledge and advice as a regular contributor to this forum. I hope you buy a Flat Earth sail from Karitek and if so I wish you much fun paddle sailing with it.

Douglas

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Sounds like Mick was like the founding father of kayak design here in ONtario, Emil Maschek. Design awards galore from this Chech refuge. Excellent products, excellent value, and custom fittings and no extra charge. Integrity and generosity. First women's whitewater design/build. Record setting boats and a most wonderful person. He basically started the race community here with his whitewater boats.
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

JB-NL

Post by JB-NL » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 pm

ian johnston wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:01 am
Hi Porteous,

Karitek appear to have the Trade Wind 0.8 available.... https://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/sea-kaya ... y=15487401

Kind regards

Ian
What does it add to your speed?
Any idea in extra knots?

JB
--==Never go faster than your Angel can fly==--

Porteous

Post by Porteous » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:36 pm

EK Sydney and Douglas

I wasn’t aware of Kari Tec until I posted above and genuinely understood the sails weren’t available. I have e mailed Karitek three times and waiting for a response!

Porteous

Post by Porteous » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 am

EK Sydney and Douglas

Ordered a sail from kari tech today, as you say a helpful company

EK Sydney

Post by EK Sydney » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:52 am

Mate I'm glad you gave Kari Tek a shout. They'll sort you out, good people, part of the community.