Bungee deck nets. Yes or no?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
yaknut

Bungee deck nets. Yes or no?

Post by yaknut » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:01 am

Since changing to paddling a Romany Excel, I've been finding that the deck bungee setup a bit different than what I'd been used to and have had drinks canisters and the like falling off the deck. The cross deck bungees seem to be slightly too far apart for some of my gear.

I was thinking about making or buying a net setup something like in the attached photo.

The plan would be to attach it to the existing deck lines to stow drinks, bilge pump and so on. Two or three low profile items.

After searching the site to see if anyone else had done similar, the only post I noticed was where someone had found them annoying. On a particular boat at least.

Are there any down sides I should consider?

Jim

Re: Bungee deck nets. Yes or no?

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:41 am

I have often used cargo nets to secure extra load on deck for camping trips.
One of the great things about sea kayaks is everyone can pretty much customise the deck layout to suit themselves.
Some people will like the security of a net, others will find it obscures too much of their map or GPS display, others use a shaped deck bag for even more security than a net, some deck bags have a net on top. Options are endless!
If you think a full net will obscure your map, you can buy extra deck fittings (top cleats or similar) to bolt between the existing ones and thread up your own elastic in a smore suitable configuration for the items you carry.
You can also consider changing the type of drinks canisters you use, many BAs now have a pocket for a hydration pouch (platypus, camelback, cheaper copy), or if you prefer bottles use types with lids you can clip small accessory krabs to which you can clip to the elastic so even if they slip, you don't lose them.

yaknut

Post by yaknut » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks Jim,
I was just asking in case there was some down side that I hadn't considered.

I'll try it out and see how it goes.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Any real weight on deck could impede a roll - and also make a capsize more likely.

Not going to matter if it's just a few bits & pieces though.

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:28 pm

I use a laundry bag, like this one : https://www.decathlon.co.uk/laundry-bag-id_8505236.html.

I have threaded a bungee inside along the sides, with a plastic carabiner at each corner. Recently, I've separated (seamed) the bag in two pockets. In one pocket I put my tow line, and some mess in the other. Very convenient and safe. All stuff remains in the net when I removed it for transportation.

I havn't any bad experiment with bungee net, but I won't really trust them in heavy sea, surf zone, or rolling in rough conditions.

Olivier

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 pm

Main drawback I could see with a net as dense as the ones pictured would be reading a map if it was under the net. Like I say some people like deck bags which are much more fiddy to use than a net, but usually forward of their map (which the nets pictured are too).

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:40 pm

I've had a net on the boat - it's fine and I can't say it impacted on stability at all. I did find anything heavy'ish had a tendency to slip to the sides, where it caught the paddle on entry. I replaced it with a deck bag - the tapered kind - which I used very successfully for a long time until I bought a T/race which if course has the fore-deck hatch. I much prefer the deck bag.

As regards the storing and reading of maps, these days I prefer to keep the mapcase on my spraydeck but that's largely because the T/race cockpit is so long that having the map under the deck bungees makes it impossible to read.