Scorpio Advice Please -Scudder or Skeg

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

Scorpio Advice Please -Scudder or Skeg

Post by kayakbiker » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm thinking about ordering a new Scorpio in the near future but I'm not sure if I should go with a scudder or just stick to a skeg. I'm definetly considering a sail for the boat in future but I do wonder if the foot pegs are still going to be OK when rolling. I mean do they move under your feet? Will they be kind of mushy when setting up or are they still firm enough.
Thanks

twopigs

Re: Scorpio Advice Please -Scudder or Skeg

Post by twopigs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Stick with the skeg ....... saves £100 and is one less thing to go wrong!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi Kayakbiker,

I own a Scorpio MV with a skudder and a sail, and I have to say that if you are planning to do some sailing then I would go for the skudder. The Scorpio is a great boat and handles very well with very little skeg, but the rudder/skudder option makes sailing even more fun ! I found out that you can fine tune the tracking of the boat with just a light tap on the rudder peddle. This is a lot easier than having to take your hand off the paddle to make frequent minor adjustments to the skeg slider.

In answer to your question about the footpegs. They are firm and not "mushy", and I don't see how you would have a problem with them when rolling. In any case the rudder adjustment part is on the very top of the peddle/peg where your toes should be. The main part of your foot will be on the firm part of the peg. I have never had a problem with them when rolling.

One more point.. I never use the rudder when I am not sailing. I am sure you will grow to love the Scorpio.

kind regards... Phil

Geoffroid

Post by Geoffroid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 am

Are P and H actually selling the sails at the moment?

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi Phil
Thanks very much for the reassurance that the scudders well worth getting. I'm guessing it will need a bit more maintenance than a skeg but I don't mind as long as it stays reliable when using it.
Geoff I'm not sure about P and H but there's other companies out there that do them. I believe Karitek can possibly supply them.
Cheers

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm

More storage space in the back end of a Skeg version I believe. .the scudder stuff uses up some space. There is a chap on you tube who reviewed a Scorpio mk2.

https://youtu.be/Uf5pnxAoYk8

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm

I have a Jura with the P&H Scudder fitted. I've paddled it in all conditions mainly around the coast of Anglesey for the last 5 years and I have NEVER used the scudder. If I buy another boat with a scudder option I will NOT have it. The skeg works fine but in order to drop the blade low enough in the water to use as a rudder it has to deploy fully and work perfectly, which we all know skegs are not inclined to do.
Don't get me wrong, the foot pegs are solid as a rock, with the scudder blade retracted or even with it part deployed as a skeg, the foot pegs do not feel mushy or interfere with your rolling or bracing. When I first got the boat and tried the scudder (for novelty reasons), it worked perfectly but I have never felt the need to use it as a rudder ever since.
I do not have a sail and I never intend to fit one so that may be influencing my view of the scudder, but if asked directly what my opinion of a scudder is - I would say USELESS.

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm

I've got a number of boats set up for sailing, 2 are skeg only and two are rudder only. For sailing the rudder is way better than a skeg, and a lot less work.
I've not used a scudder but Douglas Wilcox wrote a very comprehensive review of the mk2 Scorpio with scudder and sail.

https://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/2016 ... and-p.html

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Seems there are a few different opinions on scudder and skeg. Interesting weighing up all the options.
Cheers

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi kayakbiker,

In my opinion if you intend to do some sailing go for the skudder. If not then just go for the skeg. Don't get me wrong, you can sail successfully with the skeg but it's a lot easier with the skudder.

If properly maintained the skudder/skeg is reliable and functions well. The only maintenance I do is to give the slot the blade fits into a quick rinse to clear away any sand/grit particles as this can jam the blade.

Hope that helps.

Phil

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 am

Phil
Thanks for the info.
With regards to storage space in the stern do you lose much due to the scudder mechanism?
I guess being the HV model it will not be too bad losing a bit of space in comparison to the LV or MV models but I'm just wondering how much space you actually lose. Is it any major loss do you think.

Cheers

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am

Hi Kayakbiker,

Sorry to jump in on your question to Phil, but I have been looking at my next boat without a scudder so I know a bit about this subject.
You lose a bit of storage space right at the back of the rear compartment where the spindle goes through to enable the scudder to rotate. However I'd just check that the basic moulding for the Scorpio you are going to buy is any different for the non-scudder version. My Jura has the spindle housing and the scudder control box on the back deck even if you don't have the scuddder fitted and I think the Scorpio might be the same.

PhilAyr

Post by PhilAyr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi Kayakbiker,

Yes you probably do lose some storage space inside the rear hatch because of the skudder box but for me it isn't an issue. Put it this way my previous boat was a Quest HV and I have found that the Scorpio holds the same amount of camping gear in the back hatch even with the skudder box and the thicker foam bulkheads present.

Seawolf has made a valid point. However I have not seen a skeg only version so I can't comment.

regards, Phil

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:46 am

I have paddled Mark 2 Scorpio HV and MV with both shudder and skeg. I agree with what Phil has said. I really like the shudder and basically the only maintenance it needs is to have a jet of water from a hose put up the Skeg box every so often. The hinge at the bottom of the spindle that the blade swings up and down on is just inside the front of the box and certain grades of sand can cause it to become sticky. The skudder works really well especially when sailing but for paddling is not really necessary on the Scorpio as it is so manoeuvreable on edge. Unless they have changed since I paddled them, there is no difference in rear hatch volume between shudder and Skeg models. I paddled a whole summer’s camping trips in the Scorpio MV and found it took everything I usually took in my Cetus MV.

Have fun,
Douglas