Water proof torch for sea caves

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Dave Gorman

Water proof torch for sea caves

Post by Dave Gorman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi all, can anyone please recommend a good, bright, robust, water proof torch. To be used mainly for sea caves but also as a general flashlight. I have a cheap yellow plastic, Shallow Dive brand one that has served me well for a few years but has now given up the ghost. It was alright and fairly bright for its size (about 6 inches) but, very temperamental. Sometimes working, sometimes needing messing with to get it working. I'm looking for something of similar size and brightness but much more robust. Preferably made of plastic to cope with salt water. And of course not too expensive. ☺️
Thanks in advance, folks ⚓🙂

mcgruff

Re: Water proof torch for sea caves

Post by mcgruff » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:46 am

Olight H2R. IPX8. 150m max range which is probably about as good as you'll get with a wide beam headtorch. Uses an 18650 battery which can be charged via USB.

Might be worth getting a spare battery. It seems to be a proprietary design - I guess to be compatible with the magnetic USB charging gizmo.

Can even use it to start fires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90sR0n79sm8

PS: it's not on its headband in the video but it is a headtorch.

For something smaller there's the Fenix HM50R. Another cave-friendly, wide beam, IPX8 headtorch. Not as bright as the O-light and a smaller battery so won't run so long between charges. 85m max range is still pretty useful though.

I haven't used either of these myself. I'm recommending them solely based on the specs. Been looking around for good waterproof torches recently.

Dave Gorman

Post by Dave Gorman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Thank you, Mcgruff. A couple to start the research with. 👍⚓🙂

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Have a look on Aliexpress for diving lights. I've bought both plastic and metal ones and funnily enough they bear a remarkable resemblance to expensive ones here. £10 will be more than enough for what you want.

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 am

Under water Kinetics SL6, built as a diving torch which i use it for also. Uses 6x type C batteries,three on top of three or there is the SL4 4x C type batteries.
You can find the SL6 on Ebay for £28. I use rechargeable batteries with my SL6 and am glad to have the battery capacity as it is piece of mind knowing that your torch is going to last when you need or want it.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am

I use zebralights, but obviously would sink if you drop them:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sh ... -my-choice

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon May 13, 2019 8:38 am

I've a Limo one very robust and bright.

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Another interesting IPX8 torch is the Thrunite TH10 v2. It's got a more focussed beam with a massive 300m throw (according to specs). A wider beam might be more useful in caves but a long throw can add a really important safety factor if you're navigating in the dark, at sea or on land. It can be the difference between picking up a landmark and getting completely lost.

I remember one night tramping around looking for a bothy with the old Petzl 4.5V flat battery headtorch. Nothing in sight. I popped in a halogen bulb - about twice as bright as the ordinary one - and there, just on the very edge of the beam, you could just make out the bothy roof. The longer throw was the difference between a bed & shelter or tramping around in the woods all night.

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal » Tue May 14, 2019 8:48 am

Another vote for Underwater Kinetics.
I used to use their 4 AA battery light as a backup caving light. It was tie wrapped to the side of my helmet, suffered severe abuse and yet remained waterproof.

Extremely good bits of kit.