Scorpio HV or MV

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
kayakbiker

Scorpio HV or MV

Post by kayakbiker »

Hi. I'm looking to replace my Delphin 155 with a Scorpio but I'm not sure if I should go for a HV or MV.
I'm 16 stone 6ft1. For those who have tried both any advice would be appreciated. I'm kind of concerned the HV may be too much of a barge and slow but then with size 12th feet the MV may be too small. Also wondering if the backdeck is as low as the Delphin.
Another kayak I'm looking at is an Xplore L secondhand. I know being composite they are much different but as for size and general handling are these quite good. I'm looking for stability and a nice big cockpit for my long legs and hip issues. A stable boat for straddle reentries is good too
Thanks for any good advice

Douglas Wilcox

Re: Scorpio HV or MV

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Greeting kayakbiker, I paddled both when I was 15 stone 4lbs. I also had back, hip and knee problems. I liked them both but the HV was particularly comfortable though big . A friend with back and hip problems who weighs about 13 stone much preferred the HV to the MV, again for comfort. Another friend who is probably about 12 to 13 stone with bad knees has also paddled both but prefers the MV. You really need to try them.

Douglas.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Hi Douglas.
Thanks for letting me know your thoughts on the two different models. I ordered my Delphin without trying it first but I was very lucky it turned out perfect for me. Pretty good considering it was my first kayak although your review probably helped me make the right decision on that one.

Your right though it's sensible to demo first so I will try and sort something out in the next few weeks.
Thanks again.

coldwind

Post by coldwind »

Hi kayakbiker, I own a Delphin but for extended trips i use my Valley Etain 17.7. I'm 5' 11" and 15 st and I find it really comfortable with lots of room but easy to get a tight fit if needed. I much prefer it to the Mk1 Scorpio I used to own. For me, it handles better in rougher conditions and following seas. I have heard that the Mk2 is an improvement over the Mk1 tho.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Hello Coldwind
Thanks for the info. I'll have a closer look at the Etain and see if I can get a go in one.
A good handling boat in rough conditions is a safer kayak in my opinion.
Planning to demo a HV Scorpio at weekend so looking forward to that

Cheers

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Well I had a go in a Scorpio HV and pretty much thought it was great.
For the size of it its still pretty nimble if you get it right up on edge it turns really nicely for such a big boat. Really stable and easy for doing straddle re -entries too. On flat water anyway. Tried a reentry roll and after a couple of attempts got it up ok but may need a bit more practice I think. Definitely need to make proper adjustments to contact points. I tried the MV too and while I like that too it's definetly much tighter in the cockpit.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I may have decided on my next boat. I will just have to save up for a sail now!!

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

If it’s roominess that counts, then you might consider a composite Northshore Atlantic.

I’m 6ft2, nearly 15 stone and have size 13 feet, and I’m comfortable in mine.

The one drawback for me is cockpit length - I struggle to get my knees out easily. But that may be down to body proportions rather than height; I’ve met paddlers taller than me who don’t have the same problem.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

Bear

Post by Bear »

Not sure if you're planning to sell or PX your Delphin.
Drop me a PM if you're selling as I'm in the market for one
Kindest regards
Guy

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Bear
Apologies for taking so long to reply. Hopefully you have been successful finding one by now
Originally my plan was to sell my Delphin but to be honest I like so much I'm keeping it as my spare.

I'm sure i'm not the only forum member who has a spare boat or two.!
Cheers.

Bear

Post by Bear »

Thanks for letting me know. Have a cracking summer

Simonsl8er

Post by Simonsl8er »

Hi kayakbiker,

Did you buy the etain? I was just about to put up a new post asking for advice on boats suitable for my size, weight (6ft2, 95kg and so 12feet) and saw your post from feb!

I’m very much a novice to sea kayaking and have had a couple of hours paddling in a friends Scorpio mk1 HV but I keep hearing good things about the Etain. Unfortunately I don’t have an option to demo one.

The Scorpio was comfortable enough but I have no real reference but friends who paddle with a range of opinions and composite boats!

So any further views on the boat you went for would be a great help

Cheers

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker »

Bear
Thanks! Have a great seakayaking year yourself
Simonsl8er. Hi There
No I went with the Scorpio Mk2. I couldnt find an Etain to demo so went with what i had tried.
So far Ive been impressed with the Hv Scorpio. Its cockpit is really large so no problem getting my feet in it and my long legs
It handles really well for such a big boat and edges lovely. I'm not the fastest in a boat but ive kept up with friends in their composites just fine. The bow sticks up a bit so i worry it might be a bit of a handful in wind but to be honest I've been out in 30 knot winds and it turned fine and tracked ok. The only issues I've had is its a bit harder to roll than my delphin but i need to practice more in it. Its still a bit cold for that just now though..And the only other issue is the backband is too short so it can't be slackened without undoing it completely. This issue was picked up by someone else on the forum a couple of years back
I would say its a great boat to build up your confidence as Its very stable . i know if i fell out if it i could easily get on the back deck and self rescue easily even in choppier conditons where tippier boats are much more difficult to keep upright
Other than that im very pleased with it so far..
I believe the boat is a bit different than the mk1

Simonsl8er

Post by Simonsl8er »

That's really useful info, thanks