What kayak to get

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mini2

What kayak to get

Post by Mini2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi I'm looking at doing some sea kayaking this year around the coast .
Looking for a suitable boat I'm 5f 10" tall and about 12st . I know these kayaks are quite long, what's the shortest as I'll be carrying it on my Citroen c3 . I've got river runner (burn) at the moment which I use on the sea but looking for something more suitable
Thanks

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

charleston14

Re: What kayak to get

Post by charleston14 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm

You can put a 17ft sea kayak on a small car, use j bars or uprights and lash bow and stern to your front and rear tow points. You don’t need a shorter boat because your car is short.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4b/f1/40/4bf1 ... 2f8927.jpg

Boatsie

Post by Boatsie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:01 pm

I use a VFT Ron Elliott mostly. I think it's about 4.5 metres long. Loving that. Roofs easy. About 1/2 knot displacement speed less than a 5-5.5 metre waterline. Eg goes good. Too scared to get bumpy in it though because it's an older model without a fore bulkhead and would flood up into bow if flooded.
A decent Hull of that length is lovely as a protected waters day boat.
If I was to have 1 boat I'd prefer something like a Taran 16

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 pm

What’s your budget and what paddling do you want to do?

If it’s coastal play you are probably looking for a different boat to something for distances and crossings.

People will recommend boats they paddle but that doesn’t mean they will suit you in either fit, or handling characteristics.

If you don’t know what characteristics you’re looking for in a sea kayak then I’d suggest you develop some sea kayaking skills with experienced and competent sea kayakers, try their boats, learn about hull design and such

And please..

do not go it alone, the sea is fickle and has no compassion.

Boatsie

Post by Boatsie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 pm

I agree with Charleston and I'm not recommending the boats I use but hoping your insight is bettered.
I use a Chinese brand Winner 'Otium. ' This isn't a very high quality boat yet I love it because I don't mind doing rubbish collection paddles and she'll take a knock. Her shape and length of hull is really fun and playful in surf.
The boat I use more often is shorter yet a lot faster.. Heaps faster. If she had a bulkhead in front of my feet then I'd be a lot tempted to surf her although I don't belief she'd surf as well because of her lack of a rocker like rail.
I'm no expert.. I might have done something similar. I bought a second hand boat to suit my car top. The style of boat then made my choice of journeys.
I read a lot, I continually hunt the market, I see lots of bargains, I seek a boat that will glide and take punishment when she blows. Composite boats are our best bet. There are many. The one thing I can't find is a replacement paddle. My mate left his here a couple of years ago. Runs rings around my then you beauty expensive one. I can paddle with ease with duration unlimited without aches. Glad he doesn't want it. Without that I'd probably change fitness. Kiwi blokes that made them stopped making them before I started sea kayaking. Rouge waves hit you especially at night..
The paddles the part that kept me on the water.
Enjoy

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:32 pm

A second hand one.

Even after trying a few boats before you choose one, there is a significant chance that after living with it for a few months you will start to wish you had chosen something slightly different - second hand boats depreciate less than new ones.

Mini2

Post by Mini2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:17 am

charleston14 wrote:What’s your budget and what paddling do you want to do?

If it’s coastal play you are probably looking for a different boat to something for distances and crossings.

People will recommend boats they paddle but that doesn’t mean they will suit you in either fit, or handling characteristics.

If you don’t know what characteristics you’re looking for in a sea kayak then I’d suggest you develop some sea kayaking skills with experienced and competent sea kayakers, try their boats, learn about hull design and such

And please..

do not go it alone, the sea is fickle and has no compassion.
Thanks
Thinking second hand about £400 tops.
Only day trips no overnight.
Along the coast taking in the views some photos sticking close ish to the coast line in and out of the rocks perhaps some caves

Boatsie

Post by Boatsie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 am

This is my friends boat.
50+ years old.
Respected and kept hard.
No bulk heads.. Foam sealed fore and aft. Will not sink.
Relatively short at 4 metres but agile.
Tracks and glides well. Shifts momentum easily with control.
Well matched when with a pack of 5 metre plastic 'yaks.
Deck lines in case someone has to grab.
Wide at 61cm yet slim to glide with.
Stable.
Easily fits an esky between the legs under the skirt and not in the way.
I think they're perfect boats to learn with and enjoy.
No more perfect than many another yet I see their type appear fairly regularly in Aus at about half your hook amount.
Doesn't like rock bashing.. Easy to repair though.

They're good boats.. Not sure about wanting to be in tidal caves though yet we all do our own thing.. Great if using along protected coastlines.
Holds resale

Still entertains me. Will climb our local tide race with ease hence fast enough.

Best luck brother.
I'm also a fan of plastics due to rock bashing yet she way more comfy.

Boatsie

Post by Boatsie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:31 am

I don't know the owner nor the boat.
Another Aus boat hence not directly helpful.
That's $320 aud on the east coast at the moment.
Unfortunately the photo might not be the best but I don't know how to judge the cockpit hole.
5metre long kayak.
I've been trapped. I've seen a friend get trapped. If that's an ocean cockpit then as a beginner I wouldn't touch it. If not.. Knock knock, feels hard. Sit in, feels comfy. Balance will learn, looks beautiful. I like that size.. Price too.

What scares me with boats and especially kayaks and beginners is cockpit exit.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:09 pm

If you’re only doing flat water you might get away with a bulkeaded touring kayak such as a bolero, it’s not too slow, it’s easy to turn Skeg up, goes straight Skeg down. It won’t like the rough stuff as well as a proper sea kayak..

Later development lead to the dagger stratos, which is a Jack of all trades 14ft kayak

One bolero is listed here
https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/sp ... fers/boats

It’s essentially a rebranded dagger Charleston..I used to paddle one, I like my proper sea kayak better, but it’s a popular tourer.

If you sell it on you won’t loose much as second hand they go for 375 to 400.

Mini2

Post by Mini2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:40 pm

charleston14 wrote:If you’re only doing flat water you might get away with a bulkeaded touring kayak such as a bolero, it’s not too slow, it’s easy to turn Skeg up, goes straight Skeg down. It won’t like the rough stuff as well as a proper sea kayak..

Later development lead to the dagger stratos, which is a Jack of all trades 14ft kayak

One bolero is listed here
https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/sp ... fers/boats

It’s essentially a rebranded dagger Charleston..I used to paddle one, I like my proper sea kayak better, but it’s a popular tourer.

If you sell it on you won’t loose much as second hand they go for 375 to 400.
Thank you
The Dagger Charleston 14 was one of the boats I was considering , and I don't live to far from Escape cool
Now start saving for the summer
Thanks

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:44 pm

It’s a good deal, here’s the older dagger version.. costing more and used! https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks- ... 1328475110

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Just realised the bolero isn’t bulkheaded like a Charleston, but it’d be easy to fit your own using an appropriate foam and sikaflex.

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:56 pm

P&H. Capella in grey 450 quid, Somerset. See Facebook canoes and kayaks for sale group.

They are open to offers (its an old one but in very good condition) try before you buy.

Note the square Capella hatches are notorious for degrading rubber but replacements can be sourced if they do perish.

Mini2

Post by Mini2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks ill have a look at that

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk