Plan B

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Plan B

Post by Mark Gawler »

Having the correct equipment makes a big difference...

Falmouth RNLI crew rescue kayaker from the Carrick Roads

Mark Gawler

mcgruff

Re: Plan B

Post by mcgruff »

I wonder how he was knocked unconscious?

I've often wished rescue services would maintain a website with details of serious incidents, including deaths. The best way to stop the same thing happening again, or at the very least reduce the number of similar incidents, is by helping people to learn how things can go wrong.
Have fun and don't die.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

More detail here.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. »

Excellent report, Allan - many thanks

I saw it on Fbk earlier, shared it, but decided that wasn’t enough and, having been warned, I had no excuse for paddling without a PLB.

This one has a seven-year battery life which sold it to me. I’m expecting delivery this morning.

https://www.force4.co.uk/ocean-signal-r ... ml?sqr=Plb&

coldwind

Post by coldwind »

I too read about this incident on a sea kayak forum on facebook but refrained from commenting as it turned into a bit of a bun fight regarding solo paddling. I regularly go out solo and I carry PLB, VHF etc. On that particular day the seas on the north Cornish coast were heaving and the wind was up. I went for a dog walk on Crantock beach about midday.(photo taken on the day) I know the incident took place on the south coast but the forecast was similar. I'm glad Alan survived to tell the story and he obviously thought that kayaking on that day was safe and within his capabilities but I hope no one comes to the conclusion that a PLB is a guardian angel. The best tool in the locker is common sense.