Even the seagulls were cold!

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
RichJ

Even the seagulls were cold!

Post by RichJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:09 am

A short review of a chilly paddle on the West Coast of Anglesey...

http://seakayakingwales.com/2019/01/18/ ... uARIUozcsE

Rich

seawolf856

Re: Even the seagulls were cold!

Post by seawolf856 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi Rich, great photos, thanks for sharing. Two of us paddled the Straights from end to end yesterday on a massive spring tide. We launched in the dark from Penmon, it was cold, dark and miserable getting the drysuits on and getting up at 4.30am to drive out to Anglesey in the first place was hard work, but once we had warmed up and jumped on the strong ebb tide down to Beaumaris, it was all worth it. The sun even came out during our white knuckle ride through the Swellies at 8 knots plus. Didn't have time to stop and play as we were only half way through our journey at that point, but there were some impressive waves off fish trap island and under both bridges. A fantastic day out, just like yours was and a suitable reward for venturing out in January in a sea kayak.

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Absolutely brilliant, seawolf!
The 'Straits' are a very beautiful and historic place. The tides are interesting! I can 'hear' in your post the adventure and fun you had. So good! Sometimes the rewards seem even sweater following the hardship of winter paddling. Im sure the sense of adventure goes up in the winter months? ...The outcome is never certain. Really pleased you had a good one! Any pictures? Having said that, freezing fingers on a camera can be brutal.

All very best,

Rich

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments, I guessed from your post that you would understand and appreciate our Straights trip. Yeh, it was really good, we paddle there often and it is always worth the effort, such a great piece of water that tests your tidal planning skills!!. I live an hour away from Anglesey and know its coast very well so I could really share your experience and fully appreciate the great winter conditions that you encountered on that superb stretch from Trearddur to Rhoscolyn Beacon. I have some photos from my GoPro so I'll try and share them, if technology allows :-)

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:46 pm

No success with uploading the photos. I tried to follow the instructions, which seem pretty basic but I must be too thick to understand.

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 pm

OK seemed to work this time, but I am hopeless with technology - give me a kayak over a computer any day.

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 pm

Brilliant photos!
Thank you for sharing?.

Rich

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 pm

Ps ... I understand kayak over computers! And, er... Sorry about the ? After 'sharing'. ..Heaven knows how to change such stuff!

Rich