Sweet Protection drysuits

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Jonathan.

Sweet Protection drysuits

Post by Jonathan. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Has anyone had theirs serviced?

My Sweet Intergalactic suit needs pressure testing and patching, but I’m struggling to find someone to do it.

Up and Under who sold it to me can’t help and nor will System X who tell me they only do Kokatat; apparently, servicing Sweet suits means different technology.

I could probably send the suit back to Sweet Protection in Norway, but that means shipping is likely to be both slow and expensive.

Advice much appreciated, please.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

jam bo

Re: Sweet Protection drysuits

Post by jam bo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Sweet did have a uk sales/service rep in port talbot. I dealt with them a while back when some mtb shorts failed.

They were really helpful but my initial point of contact was the main sweet support line from their website.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 pm

I'm sure Rubberman in wales would do a dry-suit repair / service for you.

https://www.rubberman.co.uk/7/Repairs.html
So much sea - so little time to see it.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 am

I also recommend Rubberman. He replaced the feet on my Typhoon suit and pressure tested it. He's near Conwy; I dropped it off while passing one Friday and received it back in the post the next Thursday. I think it was £60 including postage back (but it depends how much patching it needs).

Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 am

My experience of Sweet service has been very poor.

Fantastic products- beautifully made, excellent fit. No clear service strategy at all in the UK and apparently internationally too, to the point whereby alternatives start to look a lot more appealing.

For information I own a Sweet Drytop and Sweet trousers. After a couple of years use all the seals needed replacing on the drytop and new gaskets in the trousers. After being sent on a wild goose chase with suggestions from Sweet of Reed (who are great but i'm not convinced do pressure testing and gore tex repairs) to Lancashire sports repairs (don't do gaskets or pressure testing and didn't want to deal with WW gear) I finally ended up sending everything to Typhoon (who repair all makes not just their own suits).

Typhoon sorted both items very quickly with a seemingly excellent finish. They did their best to pressure suit the top though clearly this is going to be harder than on a drysuit.

Overall i'd recommend them.

System X are clearly just looking after their relationship with Kokatat which is entirely understandable (for me their statement on different technology for pressure testing does sound like rubbish though) and their Kokatat servicing is excellent (I have a Meridian as wellas my Sweet separates). Just note that they couldn't do feet replacement and I ended up getting kokatat gore-tex feet replaced by Scottish Mountain Gear (who don't do pressure testing)... I need to keep it in good nick as at current exchange rates full RRP on Kokatat is ~£1500 for a drysuit. I simply couldn't afford to replace.

Next drysuit will probably be back to Typhoon.

Complicated and expensive this maintenance of kit lark! Hope some of that helps.

Mr Ed

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 am

Mr Ed wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 am
My experience of Sweet service has been very poor.

Fantastic products- beautifully made, excellent fit. No clear service strategy at all in the UK and apparently internationally too, to the point whereby alternatives start to look a lot more appealing.

For information I own a Sweet Drytop and Sweet trousers. After a couple of years use all the seals needed replacing on the drytop and new gaskets in the trousers. After being sent on a wild goose chase with suggestions from Sweet of Reed (who are great but i'm not convinced do pressure testing and gore tex repairs) to Lancashire sports repairs (don't do gaskets or pressure testing and didn't want to deal with WW gear) I finally ended up sending everything to Typhoon (who repair all makes not just their own suits).

Typhoon sorted both items very quickly with a seemingly excellent finish. They did their best to pressure suit the top though clearly this is going to be harder than on a drysuit.

Overall i'd recommend them.

System X are clearly just looking after their relationship with Kokatat which is entirely understandable (for me their statement on different technology for pressure testing does sound like rubbish though) and their Kokatat servicing is excellent (I have a Meridian as wellas my Sweet separates). Just note that they couldn't do feet replacement and I ended up getting kokatat gore-tex feet replaced by Scottish Mountain Gear (who don't do pressure testing)... I need to keep it in good nick as at current exchange rates full RRP on Kokatat is ~£1500 for a drysuit. I simply couldn't afford to replace.

Next drysuit will probably be back to Typhoon.

Complicated and expensive this maintenance of kit lark! Hope some of that helps.

Mr Ed

Another thumbs up to Typhoon from me. I sent an old Yak drysuit to Typhoon for replacement cuffs and neck seal. They not only replaced the seals for me but they pressure tested the suit and re-taped some damaged seams on the shoulders. The suit was back with me in a few days with a full inspection report and test certificate. Fantastic service and deserved of your business.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Have you tried DAM drysuits?
Ken

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks all for suggestions.

The choice has not been easy. I’ve felt like the owner of a new car who can only get it serviced by the garage up the local side street. Far better had Sweet Protection got its act together and organised some UK customer services. Instead, their head office recommended Reed Chillcheater.

I have some Reed gear and rate them highly, but I couldn’t help wondering what, if any experience, they have with Goretex - as far as I know, nothing they sell uses it. I have similar reservations about Dam and Rubberman (I remember Rubberman’s workshop as basic).

In the end, I sent the suit to www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk whose details I got from Sweet Protection (Germany) after System X suggested them.

Now it’s fingers crossed time.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:05 pm

If Hammond drysuits have been recommended by Sweet and System X, then you can't go wrong using them. However, re. your concerns about companies that haven't got experience with Goretex: I've been buying/repairing old Goretex suits for a couple of years and I can confirm they're exactly the same to work on as any other material. As the Goretex is just a thin layer sandwiched between two layers of traditional fabric, you use the same glue and same testing/patching procedure. The only difference would be if the Goretex sandwich delaminates, in which case I think you've run out of options. Kokatat reportedly replace their Goretex suits free of charge if this happens - I presume because the Goretex supplier foots the bill. Hasn't happened to any of mine.

Jonathan.

Post by Jonathan. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 am

Thanks for the info, PlymouthDamo - that’s helpful. System X told me they could only service Kokatat and not Sweet suits because the technology is different. Now that sounds as though it might have been bullshit.

And Mr Ed, it sounds as though you and I were thinking along similar lines. If Hammond slip up, then Typhoon will be high on my list.
============
Northshore Atlantic
============