Romany v Alaw Bach

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
paul burnell

Romany v Alaw Bach

Post by paul burnell » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:10 pm

Has anyone experience of both of these boats? How do they differ when paddling and what would be there strengths?

Thanks for the advice.

Fast Pat

Re: Romany v Alaw Bach

Post by Fast Pat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:17 am

Have never paddled a Romany, so cannot comment on that aspect. I would say that the build quality of Rockpool is way ahead that of SKUK/NDK boats.

Bassy

Post by Bassy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Why do you say that the build quality of Rockpool is 'way ahead' of the SKUK boats? Is that a general consensus?
Thanks

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 am

From my experience the Romany is constructed using a lot more resin and therefore tend to be a boat build to take knock however that does make it heavier which is noticable on the water. That doesn't mean to say that the Alaw Bach is in any way weak, mine is 10 years old and still going strong. The seating position of the Rockpool boat is also more comfortable and the thigh grips are excellent for boat control. I initially tried both boats but found the Alaw Bach much easier to paddle, more controlable, lighter as well as being extremely well made. One final factor is that I believe that the personal service that you get from Rockpool and Mike Webb is excellent.
I have never regretted purchasing my boat.

Rog.

Dyllon

Post by Dyllon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:39 pm

I have both boats. I would agree with the above comments based on the relative quality of my boats. There is nothing wrong with the Romany. It is functional but the Rockpool is a step up in quality (and is lighter despite being bigger).
The boats are similar in handling. Both tend to get blown down wind in stronger winds. This can be mitigated through adding weight to the front compartment. The Alaw Bach has more adjustability in seat position, which can also be used to compensate for this. Both boats are relatively slow although, based on my perception, the Alaw has a materially higher cruising/top speed. The Romany is more manoeuvrable and slightly less stable. The Alaw is rock solid; both in terms of primary and secondary stability. However, this does mean that it is bashed about a bit more in short chop and clapotis. In summary, if your focus is on rock hopping and playing close in then the Romany is ideal. However, if you want to go surfing in tide races, then the Alaw Bach is the ideal boat.
Another point to note is that the Alaw Bach is substantially bigger, which may be important if you want to use the boat for weekends away or if you have big feet!

Bassy

Post by Bassy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi Dyllon,
Thats very interesting, thanks for the information, do you mind me asking your height and weight?
Cheers...

Dyllon

Post by Dyllon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi,

179 cm and 76 kg. I believe that is generally considered "medium".

D.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 pm

the Romany is constructed using a lot more resin and therefore tend to be a boat build to take knock
Maybe I shouldn't be reading that literally, but the "therefore" doesn't follow. More resin on its own doesn't make a boat robust (just heavy); you need more fibres in the resin to make it take knocks. Thicker gelcoat on the outside does give a better scratch resistance, but not impact strength. The most robust boat I have has layers of kevlar with no visible resin on the inside surface.

Rockpool boats are built without unnecessary resin; in fact mine was was laid up just a fraction too dry, and had tiny leaks through the recesses for the a couple of the deck fittings. Mike Webb is dedicated to keeping his customers happy and will always offer to fix any defects that do get through. (btw, I'm not saying NDK don't, I've no experience of their boats).

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 pm

You're right Chris, that's kind of what I meant but you worded it so much better.
More of a buffer before any 'dings' and scratches make their way to your fibreglass layer.

Rog.